• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses My Isekai Life Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:00 am Reply with quote
I am guessing Sentai is starting to use AMC money because at this rate they will at least license 10 Summer shows.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Sentai picking stuff up.
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I am guessing Sentai is starting to use AMC money because at this rate they will at least license 10 Summer shows.

And the problem is in dubbing. Sentai didn't want to compete with CR/Funi in dubbing scene and not every shows that Sentai license will get dub and even not dubbing an anime that was viral like Kongming. since they got new Tokyo Mew Mew i'm afraid that Sentai not DUBCAST it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:

And the problem is in dubbing. Sentai didn't want to compete with CR/Funi in dubbing scene and not every shows that Sentai license will get dub and even not dubbing an anime that was viral like Kongming. since they got new Tokyo Mew Mew i'm afraid that Sentai not DUBCAST it.

It would be nice if Sentai/HIDIVE dubbed more simulcasts. But it is more important to me to have a company that can compete with Crunchyroll.
therjabundo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:17 am Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Farhanawesome wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:

It would be nice if Sentai/HIDIVE dubbed more simulcasts. But it is more important to me to have a company that can compete with Crunchyroll.

The problem why Sentai's dubbing capacity is still so low is that they only have the same three main ADR directors (Kyle, John and Shannon) for their shows, and it's pretty rare for another person who works for Sentai to be in a directing role. In addition, they are comfortable sticking to their established small talent pool.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:02 am Reply with quote
therjabundo wrote:
The problem why Sentai's dubbing capacity is still so low is that they only have the same three main ADR directors (Kyle, John and Shannon) for their shows, and it's pretty rare for another person who works for Sentai to be in a directing role. In addition, they are comfortable sticking to their established small talent pool.
Finding new ADR Directors might be hard given that they are in the same state as Funimation. There was a panel a few years ago with Emily Nerve, it wasn't long after she had started full time at funiamtion, and someone asked her about going to work at Sentai. She outright told them to work for Funimation instead, ironically because Sentai had/have such a low output of dubs compared to Funimation. A real catch-22.
o76923

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:

To be fair, Kongming would be really hard to dub. Even looking past the songs, once they introduce a hip-hop artist, it transitions to needing rhyming frequently. They also dabble into other languages (not always English) pretty often in the show so that's another obstacle.

Don't get me wrong, Kongming deserves a dub more than 99% of what gets dubbed. In my 20 years of watching anime, it's the only subtitled show I've been able to last more than 3 episodes on. But I definitely understand why a company without a very strong dubbing studio already built wouldn't attempt it.
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:46 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
therjabundo wrote:
Finding new ADR Directors might be hard given that they are in the same state as Funimation. There was a panel a few years ago with Emily Nerve, it wasn't long after she had started full time at funiamtion, and someone asked her about going to work at Sentai. She outright told them to work for Funimation instead, ironically because Sentai had/have such a low output of dubs compared to Funimation. A real catch-22.

Sentai once had a different dub director like David Wald in Kase-san and Marisa Lenti in Bloom into you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1