• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Spy×Family

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:30 am Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
.... a real problem when they start doing essay questions... It's a hard knock life for those kids.
I had the same thought. Anya's scheme to cheat isn't bad, though morally wrong, but prone to that problem unless she gets creative. But even if she can't solve it, as Ep11 shows, as the saying goes "the sun'll come out...tomorrow"
MaritLage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:45 am Reply with quote
It would be really great if the script writers could figure out how to work Spy Stuff into Anya·s education . That bit about the pistol having eight bullets and firing six having two left in the chamber would be a great way to include subtraction in her studies . Just like with real kids , the best way to get them to learn is to anchor it in something that interests them . Like , if yu have to twist on a silencer four times , and there are 360° in a circle , how many degrees does the silencer turn? Ka . Kind of thing .
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:00 am Reply with quote
Was there really a need to pad the episode with a quasi recap at the start? That's worrying for the rest of the season if they already have to start doing this...
Ruriruri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:25 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Was there really a need to pad the episode with a quasi recap at the start? That's worrying for the rest of the season if they already have to start doing this...

The original chapter started with introductions because it was an extra chapter. Not that the anime needed to adapt that aspect of it but it's not like they just added it themselves either.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:25 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Don't worry, there's more than enough material for the rest of the season. There actually wasn't a need for the quasi-recap; just too-faithful adapting of the source chapter.
Gnardak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:22 am Reply with quote
I've heard people say that Anya is kinda a dumbass but I disagree. She's just five years old and maybe she leans on her telepathy a bit too much because it's easy.

Thanks to her telepathy she knows where the pieces in play are but she can't really do anything to affect the outcome herself, because she's only five and she can't really let anyone know that she's telepathic so she know more than they think. But she can show some real quick thinking in moving those pieces around "Mama! I'm' being kidnapped!" "I'm so sad because I don't have a mama."

I think she's growing into just as much of a super spy as her father.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't what I was expecting from a season end episode. But cute and fun and I can dig it since more is on the way.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Age aside (which can still be significant), I'd imagine Anya didn't exactly have a great education up to this point either, so she's really behind on two fronts.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:23 pm Reply with quote
That poor Aquarium worker, just started and promoted based on Loid memorizing 200 penguins names and appearances with a glance, he's not going to live up to their now unreasonable expectations.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Gnardak wrote:
I've heard people say that Anya is kinda a dumbass but I disagree. She's just five years old and maybe she leans on her telepathy a bit too much because it's easy.

Thanks to her telepathy she knows where the pieces in play are but she can't really do anything to affect the outcome herself, because she's only five and she can't really let anyone know that she's telepathic so she know more than they think. But she can show some real quick thinking in moving those pieces around "Mama! I'm' being kidnapped!" "I'm so sad because I don't have a mama."

I think she's growing into just as much of a super spy as her father.

It doesn't hurt that Yor's a pretty easy piece to move. Laughing

I mean, it seems like everyone on the show has selective blindness/idiocy when it comes to recognizing the weirdness/ridiculousness of the stuff around them, but Yor seems particularly vulnerable to it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Perfect last episode....doesn't feel like a finale but I enjoyed every second.
Except....

How dare they do that to that poor penguin. Anime cry

Can't wait for more of this when fall comes!!
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Fun starting arc, but was maybe a bit too stretched out, I think making it a 2 parter would have been nicer, or maybe fully resolve the spy part in ep. 2 and have ep. 3 fully dedicated to dog part.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:36 pm Reply with quote
This was a strong way to start off the season with one of the best arcs in the manga! And they adapted it so well!

I feel like I'm in the minority who really enjoyed the first Opening, but you can't go wrong with Bump of Chicken and some beautiful visuals (Forger Family holiday and Yor knife flexing) and the Ending is very soothing as well.

Bond makes his debut! I love the "Borfs" and how well he plays off Anya. And now he is no longer

I would love to dive deeper into Sylvia's backstory. She's seen some @#$% and it seems like something happened to her family, which included a daughter. Although her kicking her heel into some dudes' teeth and scaring the terrorists senseless was quite the sight.

I liked seeing Anya being clever and creative despite her age level.

Yor stole the show so many times...with her jumping to the roof, running after Anya, turning a dude into a pinball, and then straight up stopping a car with a kick. Just a housewife passing by!

I was disappointed Damian wasn't in the Opening, but his re-introduction was handled perfectly. Poor Anya though...
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:48 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

I feel like I'm in the minority who really enjoyed the first Opening, but you can't go wrong with Bump of Chicken and some beautiful visuals (Forger Family holiday and Yor knife flexing) and the Ending is very soothing as well.

Wait a minute, people who enjoyed the first opening were the minority? Madness...
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:48 am Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Wait a minute, people who enjoyed the first opening were the minority? Madness...

It wasn't my favorite OP of the season, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I didn't like it.

It's been a good start to the season. The arc served well to re-introduce us to the Forger family dynamic. Anya remains at the core of everything. Solving problems with toddler logic is always funny, but she knows how to ask for help, and is surprisingly adept (as a lot of 4 year olds are) at manipulating people (even Damian, she just doesn't realize he's tsun). Twilight continues to lie to himself in his internal narrative, but his actions and concerns tell an entirely different story. Yor on the other hand, has pretty much entirely given up on reminding herself that's she's not Anya's real mother. And her legs are really something!

Not much of a dog person myself, but Bond really is a very good boy. An exactly the right sort of hyper-competent idiot to be part of this family.

It looks like we're getting more of the supporting cast on Yor's side of the family next week. So that should be fun!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 20