• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Flag DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
I do not want to gush about this series. After all, I haven't even seen the first episode yet. But, I can count on one hand the number of series that have inspired more anticipation from me.

I have got to get this series. No matter what.
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:44 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess I'm going to have to shop online for this one. It seems that the Bandai recall has scared my local Best Buy into not re-ordering the effected volumes.

I loved the first volume and I'm dying to see volume 2.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote
I can't believe that Theron actually gave the series 6 A- marks since he is usually a really tough grader. I must say that this show deserves it, but am constantly surprised at how many others are enjoying it especially considering the rather mixed bag that Gasaraki (which I love) received from most fans.

It feels as though Takahashi has pulled the best concepts from Votoms, Blue Gender, Gasaraki and his other series together for this one.

Bandai's transfer of this DVD is also reference level which is important since the series has so much visual detail in it. Even the smallest of text (which there is lots of) is readable on my television.

I also was reminded of the classic late 80s LD arcade game Cobra Command (which we had at the arcade I worked in) which I could finish with one credit.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:41 am Reply with quote
One of the most boring shows I've seen in years. I'm selling my DVD on eBay
eviltimes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen disc 1 so far, but the grainy "through the camera viewfinder" look really drove me crazy.
DClark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I have the first DVD but because of the problems with the second DVD I held off the purchase for a bit. I ended up ordering the second and third DVDs last week during Rightstuf's Bandai sale so I won't get them for a while, but I liked the first DVD so I've decided to collect the series.

I like the 'through the viewfinder' look, but at times it's a bit gimicky. I've decided (which may or may not be the creator's intention) that although we always see through a viewfinder, it's not always through an actual viewfinder; sometimes we're just seeing how the characters view the world. It's kind of like a painter would see a landscape and imagine what it would look like as an oil-based painting; the photographers see the world through the viewfinder, so even through their eyes they're framing the shot in their head and thinking about the placement of objects in their field of view, and sometimes that's what we're seeing.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
The issue with 'Flag' to me is it continues to fall into a kind of 'story limbo zone'; being more 'mature' (used relatively) in execution/handling of it's subject than most anime, but doesn't really stand out when compared to 'mature' political-themed entertainment outside of anime. The premise is pretty shopworn, stock cliche characters/situations pop up (though fairly you get a 'broader' look at certain elements then most anime attempt) , and heavy-handed platitudes often take the place of insights.

In terms of plotting it on the 'political intrigue' anime axis, to me 'Flag' flows much better then loudly sophomoric efforts like 'Pumpkin Scissors', and plays more coherently/accessible then fevered/contrived Japanese nationalist revenge fantasies like 'Gasaraki' (By 'Flag' creator Ryousuke Takahashi, who often dabbles heavily in revisionism/neo-nationalism). The name of the game on this title may be a viewers degree of fondness for slower-building mecha/military shows, and their tolerance of dated/cliche 'Who the REAL Villain Here?' plot ruminations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1