• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 3 Anime Unveils Visual, Director Change

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchigu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:53 pm Reply with quote
God is dead, this show is deader.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I hope that the change of staff means it will improve the anime. The second season was underwhelming.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:25 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping his involvement with S1 will help S3 capture that original "magic" because if not, hasta la vista baby...
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:04 am Reply with quote
Change of director won't do much because the problem here is the material itself. Unless of course the new guy goes for a looser adaptation.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:56 am Reply with quote
Change of production staff won't help unless the material is given more time for adaptation. It doesn't matter who's in charge if so much is crammed into one quarter as to make it practically unwatchable, especially when the first season was given two quarters and competent production staff to maximise the air-time.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:39 am Reply with quote
Hail to the king, baby.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:23 am Reply with quote
For me even season 1 was a bit lackluster when Naofumi would be taught lessons only for him to reneg on them as quick as possible in order to restablish his feeling of indignant outrage over the other people who could potentially rival him in the show. Moments of interest that where never capitalised on such as the Filo queen, learning from each others aspects and the need to protect other countries from the waves (and the implied political fallout of 1 country stealing the legendary heroes and then trying to kill the one they dont like. All wasted.

Even the simple things like learning to accept others from melty and establishing himself as the person who cares for local matters seems to fallen to the wayside. Makes me wonder if the vassal heroes from the otherworld and the needs of that other worlds survival will remain a key part of the story after its moved its plot onwards.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:00 am Reply with quote
That poster is awful looking. Looks like something that an AI art generator would make.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:10 am Reply with quote
I think the source material is the biggest problem.

Season 1 already covered the best material, everything afterwards is never going to be as good
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:31 am Reply with quote
As disappointing as the second season was, it's still a better series than a lot of the isekai drek out there, and it still has (not-a-slave-anymore) Raphtalia. Comments about how the best source material may already be past concern me, but I'll still watch a new season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SP654

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:35 am Reply with quote
Looks like it won’t be released this fall sadly
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:01 am Reply with quote
Agree both that the second season was lacking and that the best of the LNs are already in the rearview mirror (not that it was an especially high high to begin with). Still, the next book is at least better than the two season two kicked off with and functions more as an extension of the plot that anyone who liked season one presumably cared about.

That poster really weirds me out, though. The tag line makes sense for what comes next, but the visual looks like it's advertising events from a book so far ahead that I can't imagine them getting that far in 12 episodes even if they speed through the material and cut a multi-book arc.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:03 am Reply with quote
SP654 wrote:
Looks like it won’t be released this fall sadly

That might be a good thing, it seems like after s2 reception the committee decided to do some staff changes and are looking to take a longer amount of time to finish which is good as some of the stuff that was animated was not as good as s1, the ones that were all outsourced were particular bad.

I am not as excited or as confident after s2 went but i will still check out s3 when it arrives but this time i am keeping my expectations very very very low.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:41 am Reply with quote
plua one to " the poster means season 3 will be even more rushed than season 2", so keep your expectations low.
Dnautics

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:12 am Reply with quote
What really upset me was the animation. I hope this new season has better animation. Shield Hero use to be a grade above your average shit isekai but now not so much. The turtle arc felt like a side quest and even in the show itself stated it was a side quest so I am not really upset about it. The content is not the problem for me it's the animation and how they rushed through the plot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2