• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ranking of Kings Anime Gets Special Episode in 2023

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matros

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:15 am Reply with quote
According to reliable leaks this is actually a series and not a single episode. Even the staff are calling it a spin off series while getting retweeted by the official account.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:25 am Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
According to reliable leaks this is actually a series and not a single episode. Even the staff are calling it a spin off series while getting retweeted by the official account.

Where are you getting this from? It's literally called "スペシャルエピソード" "special episode", and I see no mention of a spinoff series anywhere on Twitter. Why would they lie about doing a series, anyway?

Last edited by SHD on Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:25 am Reply with quote
Awesome to be getting more!
Matros

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:42 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Matros wrote:

Where are you getting this from? It's literally called "スペシャルエピソード" "special episode", and I see no mention of a spinoff series anywhere on Twitter. Why would they lie about doing a series, anyway?

From the staff who are working on this series. Besides "special episode" in Japanese has a different nuance or rather the way they said it, which I guess ends up being accidentally confusing if you take it literally.

Last edited by Matros on Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:44 am Reply with quote
I rather see another season, but a special episode is better than nothing.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:30 am Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
But that will not come for a while, considering there is barely enough material in the manga to do a whole full cour.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:32 am Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
SHD wrote:
Matros wrote:

From the staff who are working this series.

Links would be nice.

Matros wrote:
Besides "special episode" in Japanese has a different nuance or rather the way they said it, which I guess ends up being accidentally confusing if you take it literally.

It doesn't have a different nuance. Considering the title, this is likely going to be a collection of vignettes, which is what you might have interpreted as a "new series". But that's not the same thing as a series.
Matros

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:04 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Matros wrote:
SHD wrote:
Matros wrote:

Links would be nice.

Matros wrote:
Besides "special episode" in Japanese has a different nuance or rather the way they said it, which I guess ends up being accidentally confusing if you take it literally.

It doesn't have a different nuance. Considering the title, this is likely going to be a collection of vignettes, which is what you might have interpreted as a "new series". But that's not the same thing as a series.

https://twitter.com/KAJI__OFFICIAL/status/1556607208355696645

+ all reliable leakers said there's a spin off series in production months ago.
The prolific animator Yoshimichi Kameda also hinted at his participation with a storyboard debut and him qoute tweeting Wit's recruitment tweet.

If you're still not convinced, I shall see you in the upcoming months when the episode count is announced.
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
SHD wrote:
Matros wrote:
SHD wrote:
Matros wrote:

Links would be nice.

Matros wrote:

https://twitter.com/KAJI__OFFICIAL/status/1556607208355696645

The prolific animator Yoshimichi Kameda also hinted at his participation with a storyboard debut and him qoute tweeting Wit's recruitment tweet.

If you're still not convinced, I shall see you in the upcoming months when the episode count is announced.

But where in the tweet that you posted mentioned that the "treasure chest of courage" is a "series"? The only time the word "series" appeared in the tweet is in reference to the "prior TV series" (前TVシリーズ) and not the new production, which has only been described as a "special episode." Of course I'd be happy if it's a series and not just a one-off episode. But the evidence that you point to does not indicate so. I'd rather not get my hopes up just to be let down.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:15 am Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:

If they are doing a special episode then it likely means a second season is planned and the special is being done to keep interest in the show alive in the meantime.

Mob Psycho 100 did the same thing during the long wait between seasons 2 and 3. And Dr. Stone did it as well with a special last month ahead of the third season in 2023.
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:34 am Reply with quote
Matros wrote:

This doesn't mention a new series anywhere.

Matros wrote:

Again, links would be nice.

Matros wrote:

And that means "new series" how exactly?

Matros wrote:

If you still believe it's a new series I guess I shall see you in the upcoming months when it's revealed to be a bunch of vignettes either collected or aired separately. But that is not a "new series". If it was a new series they would just say "第2期制作" or whatever.

I mean for pete's sake this is what the official site says:
耳が聞こえず、話すことができない非力な王子・ボッジと、その親友・カゲの冒険を描いたTVアニメ「王様ランキング」。そして本作「王様ランキング 勇気の宝箱」では、ボッジやカゲ、彼らの周りに集いし仲間たちの、知られざる〝勇気の物語〟が描かれる。
"The TV anime 'Ousama Ranking' chronicled the adventures of Bojji, a deaf and mute and powerless prince, and his best friend Kage. 'Ousama Ranking - Treasure Chest of Courage' depicts the so-far unknown "stories* of bravery" of Bojji, Kage, and their companions."
*or "story" I suppose, but all things considered I'm inclined toward stories.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was a new season, kind of glad its only 1 episode, the anime ended on a good note.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1