• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Film Red Tops 5 Billion Yen as of Saturday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:10 am Reply with quote
That's quite impressive. Now I understand how Toei got that money to fund Saint Seiya live-action movie on their own.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:07 am Reply with quote
Toei and Oda deserve all the respect in the world for this masterpiece.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:10 am Reply with quote
Not too surprising seeing a One Piece movie do so well, but cool nevertheless.
thepepin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I have been reading American entertainment analysts freaking out over how Hollywood is possibly going to go from early August until mid-September without a real hit, and truthfully from early July until late August without a big one. It would have been a great opportunity to release this One Piece film as well as Dragon Ball Super Hero. Broly made $30 million a few years back in what was basically a limited release, and Demon Slayer made $50 million while the pandemic was pretty much still going on. Super Hero and One Piece would have made some real cash due to the lack of competition.
Sheenoobuu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:26 pm Reply with quote
thepepin wrote:
I have been reading American entertainment analysts freaking out over how Hollywood is possibly going to go from early August until mid-September without a real hit, and truthfully from early July until late August without a big one. It would have been a great opportunity to release this One Piece film as well as Dragon Ball Super Hero. Broly made $30 million a few years back in what was basically a limited release, and Demon Slayer made $50 million while the pandemic was pretty much still going on. Super Hero and One Piece would have made some real cash due to the lack of competition.

Generally, quality movies will make money, especially when they have good action. It just so happens that anime movies have way more effort put into them than Hollywood movies recently(the last I don't even know how many years). It WOULD be pretty funny if DB Super Hero got a worldwide release and got in the top 10 sales for the year, but it also shouldn't be surprising given Dragonball's overwhelming popularity with all age groups
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1