• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What anime would be a good basis for a big Hollywood film?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legendfunk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:47 am Reply with quote
P.S. I forgot, did I mention good indie film too? Love to hear about that

I got this idea from watching several different anime. I heard that Evangelion is going to have a live-action film adaptation, and Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl) has a live-action TV series. It got me thinking about some of the themes in anime I like. I guess that's the effect of studying post-modern art and literature movements.

I guess it's like the comments about Matrix being inspired from GitS, too, but when I thought of "big-screen release", I thought it would also share a similar plot, same name and characters if it were to happen.

Heck yeh, I might start, seeing that everywhere they asked my favourite anime I without doubt would say:
Elfen Lied (with Shia LeBeouf (the transformers/disturbia guy) as Kohta and Emma Watson (aka Hermione) as Yuka)
Madlax
Evangelion - let's find some actors the same way we found a Daniel Radcliffe eh, out of nowhere?
Jigoku Shojo (Hell Girl) - can anyone see Dakota Fanning doing this? I mean, the Hell girl has to appear cute but actually be disturbingly scary.

Suspense, themes, all the like - I like it, and would love to see it in film some day.

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone could suggest good screen actors to play the characters of the anime.

I'll occasionally throw new ones into the ring.

Here's what I reckon from the posts here so far:

Best big-budget: Cowboy Bebop, Afro Samurai
Best indie: Blood+, Death Note
Best kids film (NOT FOR A DISNEY RELEASE!): Cardcaptor Sakura
Most creative/daring: Bartender
Wild card: Full Metal Panic
My pick: Evangelion - (Only for DreamWorks, Paramount or an indie Euro studio, anyone else will make it cheesy)
My nomination: Ones stated above, SoltyRei

Love to hear more!

Last edited by legendfunk on Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:27 am; edited 8 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote
I could always seem to see Eat-Man making a good Hollywood movie. Just use an original story, preferably penned by Yoshitomi himself.

As for actors, I'm not sure.
countchocula86

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
If done well, I think a Cowboy Bebop live-action movie could be pretty entertaining.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
retty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I think (and hope) that the Eva film is unlikely to happen, they've been working on it for years and not much has been done. It wouldn't adapt well at all. Maybe the new movies would be better to adapt, since they're condensing the story into 4 movies anyway. But trying to adapt the original series is madness.

I agree a cowboy bebop movie would be good.

Maybe last exile? despite being a 26 episode series the plot is pretty basic, and I think it would transfer well to screen, and would look cool.
Jih2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I think hollywood likes AKIRA the most simply because it has that big studio feel to it and it has the violence, nudity and action that typical Hollywood action movies have. I must say, a live action AKIRA would be fun to go see but considering I don't like the film that much myself, I'd enjoy a re-adaptation of the manga by Hollywood. That would probably turn out better.

I disagree with the Cowboy Bebop idea. The cool style of Bebop doesn't translate into live action, people don't move like that in kung fu movies, I just don't see real people pulling those kinds of moves off and if they do I can't see them looking nearly as good as the series/movie.

I'd love to see a really high-tech live action version of Hellsing but that will probably never happen.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
I'd love to see a really high-tech live action version of Hellsing but that will probably never happen.

The on-location shooting would be especially pricey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Ahh this is a redundant topic. As stated before this has been discussed before. Anyhow, anyone here remember the rumour/suggestion (I forgot which) of Hilary Duff playing Asuka Soryu Langley? Oh man that sparked a lot of discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Ahh this is a redundant topic. As stated before this has been discussed before. Anyhow, anyone here remember the rumour/suggestion (I forgot which) of Hilary Duff playing Asuka Soryu Langley? Oh man that sparked a lot of discussion.

I forgot about that until you mentioned it. I still can't see her as Asuka (I haven't seen her in any bitchy roles), though since she dyed her hair a darker color I can definitely see her looking the part much more.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:

I disagree with the Cowboy Bebop idea. The cool style of Bebop doesn't translate into live action, people don't move like that in kung fu movies, I just don't see real people pulling those kinds of moves off and if they do I can't see them looking nearly as good as the series/movie.

I'd have to agree with you, there. Bebop had a good story, but was clearly style over substance. I don't mean that it was shallow, I mean that the mood, animation style, music and casual flow of the series were what made it so entrancing, and the story itself was not anything terribly original. Take away that style, and I don't know that the series could hold water on the big screen. Spike's hair and getup would be too laughable, Vicious normal human appearance would make him appear to be a flat villain, not a terrifying one. In both cases, the art style made the characters look like a cool ex-gangster and a snake in human skin, respectively.

I just don't see it working on the big screen, although unlike most anime, it has the pacing and content space to run its story well in two hours.

While we're on the topic of "western-style" anime, I'd have to say that Ghost in the Shell is a bad property, too complicated and stylized to play with. (Can't you imagine it looking like Minority Report?)

Trigun would work great as an "epic trilogy" but would be hell to make, and a lot of changes to the exaggeration would have to be made, so it's real tentative ground. (If I ever make it in Hollywood, though, it'd be my dream project. That or a Legend of Zelda trilogy.)

The best Western anime for the big screen is Outlaw Star. Not TOO ridiculous, just enough action, sex and cool factor to be a hot property, and a lead that many people would want to play. Big O could work well too, but something would have to be done to centralize the story, lower the cheese factor, and change our dear Roger's hairstyle to something more plausible.

On a side note, I always thought Fruits Basket would make a great hour-long teen drama, like 7th Heaven, only better-written. The characters are extravagant enough that it would be interesting and mildly escapist, but the story is deep and secretive enough to suck viewers in and, you know, not make me sick mentioning the possibility.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

While we're on the topic of "western-style" anime, I'd have to say that Ghost in the Shell is a bad property, too complicated and stylized to play with. (Can't you imagine it looking like Minority Report?)

It is common knowledge that the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie was required viewing for the main leads of the Matrix trilogy, along with Akira and Ninja Scroll.

Perhaps you were referring to Standalone Complex?

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
[quote="dtm42"]
JesuOtaku wrote:
Jih2 wrote:

It is common knowledge that the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie was required viewing for the main leads of the Matrix trilogy, along with Akira and Ninja Scroll.

Perhaps you were referring to Standalone Complex?

Yes! Sorry! Forgot to clarify. Standalone Complex is the only one I've seen. Embarassed It's nice that GitS was able to inspire other Hollywood films, though! Couldn't save Keanu Reeves, it seems. *plays a tiny violin for his wooden acting*
mediator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
well when i and my brother talked it over there was no discussion... we both think Ghost in the shell would make for an awesome live action and the tachikomas would be so0o0o0o awesome.

but then another part of me wants a Read or Die live action but i know no one could pull that off since it would need alot more grit to it and not such much panzy
Xeric

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Humor me on this one. Bartender. I might be biased because I'd really enjoy a live action version of this anime. However, I think it would work very well as one of those multiple-intertwining-story movies that Hollywood puts out every so often. All the different stories from most of the episodes could be set in the same evening at Eden Hall. Of course the continuity would have to be tweaked and I'm sure some of the characters would have to be left out, but I think that what would be left, if done well, and faithful at least to the feel of the anime, would be an excellent live action movie.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:48 am Reply with quote
mediator wrote:
well when i and my brother talked it over there was no discussion... we both think Ghost in the shell would make for an awesome live action.

Pray tell, who would be cast as the basset hound?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6