• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tsurune TV Anime Gets 2nd Season in January 2023

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:34 am Reply with quote
Oh I've been waiting for this for years! I'll be finally reunited with my archery boys! Hopefully the movie will come to a theater movie near me sometime this year.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:00 am Reply with quote
What is it with dragging out these older properties for second seasons? I can understand IPs like One Punch Man, but Tsurune wasn't even a particularly big hit, nor does it have a particularly active fandom carrying the torch for it, from what I can see (barely 1k fanart submissions at pixiv, not even 1k fanfics and that includes every part from from multipart stories since at pixiv people usually to submit these separately), there's no spinoff projects like stage or drama CDs or whatever to boost its profile... I suppose they see an opportunity for profit in it, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it, but the how and why of it leave me scratching my head. At least with SK8 I can see how that probably made bigger waves in the western markets (it's not doing a whole lot better fandom-wise in Japan than Tsurune), but Tsurune kind of flew under most people's radar everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for fans, I'm sure these are great shows if you're into what they offer, and so on, but just, why.
09jcg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:35 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
What is it with dragging out these older properties for second seasons? I can understand IPs like One Punch Man, but Tsurune wasn't even a particularly big hit, nor does it have a particularly active fandom carrying the torch for it, from what I can see (barely 1k fanart submissions at pixiv, not even 1k fanfics and that includes every part from from multipart stories since at pixiv people usually to submit these separately), there's no spinoff projects like stage or drama CDs or whatever to boost its profile... I suppose they see an opportunity for profit in it, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it, but the how and why of it leave me scratching my head. At least with SK8 I can see how that probably made bigger waves in the western markets (it's not doing a whole lot better fandom-wise in Japan than Tsurune), but Tsurune kind of flew under most people's radar everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for fans, I'm sure these are great shows if you're into what they offer, and so on, but just, why.
To understand that you need to understand KyoAnis production process. They publish their own light novels so they have a vested interest in animating those novels they publish. As for dragging up old properties, I wouldn't be shocked if this was in the works prior to the KyoAni arson. Everything got put on hold because of that, with Hibiki Euphoniums season 3 just recently being reannounced several years after the initial announcement
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:04 am Reply with quote
A third Tsurune novel just came out, so I guess that will be the basis for the second season. I'm glad KyoAni is keeping this franchise alive, even though it wasn't a big seller for them.
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:01 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

I don't understand the basis of your complaint. My big question: What do YOU have to lose from Tsurune getting a second season?

Minor question: what's the problem with older show getting a second season? Especially so if those shows are great shows. And yes, Tsurune has a great first season, as with most of other KyoAni's works.

Important premise: This, unlike most other shows you mentioned and probably care more about, is animated by KyoAni, a studio whose operation is distinctly different and more self-contained from most other Japanese animation studios. Another commenter above touched on this. But the fate of many shows that were supposedly getting a sequel before the arson was suddenly up in the air after the arson. And it's really bittersweet for most KyoAni fans to see these sequels manifesting after all this time.

Bottomline: Second seasons of older works is not taking resources away from whatever you wish seeing getting animated, especially for a KyoAni show.

PS: You're not really happy for the fans if you're whining about "but just, why."
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
A third Tsurune novel just came out, so I guess that will be the basis for the second season. I'm glad KyoAni is keeping this franchise alive, even though it wasn't a big seller for them.

Does it even follow the novel though? I haven't read it but I was under the impression that most Kyoani published novel adaptations are different from the source material. For example major characters like Ai and Sakura from the Beyond the Boundary anime are listed as anime original on Wikipedia, and Free is pretty much a sequel to it's novels with only the second one getting a straight adaptation. Violet Evergarden I've heard is pretty different too.
FlyingOrange

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:28 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:

Does it even follow the novel though? I haven't read it but I was under the impression that most Kyoani published novel adaptations are different from the source material. For example major characters like Ai and Sakura from the Beyond the Boundary anime are listed as anime original on Wikipedia, and Free is pretty much a sequel to it's novels with only the second one getting a straight adaptation. Violet Evergarden I've heard is pretty different too.

In Chuunibyou, Dekomori was an original character too (along with others, but she's the biggest example).
09jcg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:56 pm Reply with quote
FlyingOrange wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:

In Chuunibyou, Dekomori was an original character too (along with others, but she's the biggest example).
KyoAni does seem to adapt stuff in a more "western" sense. The source is used as guide but not gospel when making the adaptation, as opposed to alot of other Japanese adaptations where the goal is to make it as close to the so8rce as possible (excluding cuts/speeding through material due to time constraints)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Tsurune and I feel like people were overly harsh in calling it a Free rip off when it came out and I ended up enjoying it more than some of the more recent seasons of Free. The animation was beautiful and I enjoyed the characters and I'm excited to see more of it.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:11 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
To understand that you need to understand KyoAnis production process. They publish their own light novels so they have a vested interest in animating those novels they publish. As for dragging up old properties, I wouldn't be shocked if this was in the works prior to the KyoAni arson. Everything got put on hold because of that, with Hibiki Euphoniums season 3 just recently being reannounced several years after the initial announcement

Yes, you're probably right that in case of Tsurune it's likely tied to KyoAni's in-house production/marketing/sales processes, and is something that was delayed. It still makes me scratch my head though, because it really wasn't a Thing in any way (again, I'm sure it was a pleasant show for people who are into this genre, but I didn't see much talk about it anywhere), so I wouldn't think it was a huge seller either, so I wouldn't have expected to bring it back instead of trying something new. Then again, maybe the LNs sell really well and/or they had invested too much money/effort into the show to pull the plug.

Matcha8 wrote:
I don't understand the basis of your complaint.

That is because I'm not complaining. Why are you being so defensive?

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I enjoyed Tsurune and I feel like people were overly harsh in calling it a Free rip off when it came out

For a lot of people everything is a Free ripoff, even things that either existed or were in production before Free, or things that have nothing to do with Free aside of pretty boys. It's that phenomenon of people with little experience in a field imprinting on something so hard it burns into their retina forever. (I've seen people claiming that Free launched Hirakawa Daisuke's career...)
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:12 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
That is because I'm not complaining. Why are you being so defensive?

Your initial post can be summarized into "Tsurune is not popular at all; Why is the show even getting a second season?" And hammer home your bitterness with "but, just *why*" at the end.

Change Tsurune into a show that you're a fan of, how does that make you feel?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:48 am Reply with quote
I feel like Kyoani mostly makes anime they want to make. and Tsurune may not have been super popular but it wasn't really disliked. It was a good show with a great message. I'm sure S2 will be fantastic and I can't wait
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1