• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Your And My Mushi

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Sorry no one's sent in reviews. I'll try to get going on a positive review for Love and Rockets (they can be for any comic right?)

Well, it has to be reasonably "manga-ish" (and I'll be the final judge of that). I'm permissive (I mean, if Scott Pilgrim can qualify for World Manga of the Month...) but at the same time, I won't take just anything. To be honest, Love and Rockets probably falls outside of the range because the paneling and artistic presentation derives very little from the manga tradition (unless you can convince me otherwise).

I'd probably point to stuff like Oni Press or Becky Cloonan's work on "Demo" as the outside limit of what I'll allow artistically.

belvadeer wrote:
Is anyone going to send in their reviews of a manga they want everyone to know about?

Are you?

Is this like that school thing where the teacher asks for a volunteer and everybody avoids making eye contact with anybody else because no one wants to be picked? Confused
RadicalHaruko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
YEAH SCOTT PILGRIM IS AWESOME

I was so glad to see this here. That "I would punch your life in the face" line was hands-down my favorite in this volume. Bryan Lee O'Malley's comic timing is something we should all aspire to emulate.

WELL DONE.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I should really try to take a look at Scott Pilgrim if I ever see it. It sound really fun. Also I'm glad to see a good reveiw for Shugo Chara. I'm in love with that series.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I won't take just anything. To be honest, Love and Rockets probably falls outside of the range because the paneling and artistic presentation derives very little from the manga tradition (unless you can convince me otherwise).

Nope. I don't think I could. Love and Rockets is definitely an American comic.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so much love for Scott Pilgrim? And I've never heard of it... I guess that means I should pick it up? Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
37wallflower73

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
Wow, I've never even heard of Scott Pilgrim either......I'll be checking him out too ^_~

As for Mushishi, is it really that great? I think I'm gonna have to start buying it, the reviews so far have been really good. Just want to know I'm not wasting my money, like I did with Absolute Boyfriend.....I got really sick of that serie. Sad
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:27 am Reply with quote
Scott Pilgrim sounds interesting, after learning more about it in Shojo Beat I think I will put it on my list to check out. Your and My Secret also looks like it could be interesting and is worth checking out at least (though I am concerned about how long it is, because the premise could become REALLY drawn out, like I found it was with W Juliet, which of course is not the same plot but it reminds me of it nonetheless).
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I guess that means I should pick it up? Neutral

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I'll have to check out Phoenix.

Excellent. Someone who read that review has, as a result of reading said review, decided to consider checking out Phoenix. I am therefore marking another notch in my "wins" column!

I was debating whether to write about Phoenix or Golgo 13, since the latter's RTO! coverage was only a few sentences long and received a C grade when it was reviewed a couple years ago (even Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne got a C+!). In the end I went with Phoenix since I already wrote a totally awesome piece about Golgo 13 in Issue 5 of Otaku USA (ON SALE NOW Arrow *cheap plug*). I'm not quite certain why more people aren't writing in to RTO! with reviews, but in my case it's much harder to condense my thoughts on something down to 300-400 words than it is for me to ramble on forever in semi-intelligible fashion. Still, if nobody else submits anything, then they'll be FORCED to run whatever I send in, which knowing me will probably involve Ryoichi Ikegami artwork.

Without having read a single page worth of it, if I had to think of anything that would be "evidence against" Scott Pilgrim, it would have to be "the people who loudly tout the superiority of Scott Pilgrim over everything else ever made and/or try to claim that their lives are similar to that of Scott Pilgrim's." I'm sure the comic is just fine, but these fans--the only ones I ever seem to encounter--are making me not want to read it. Call it a personality defect on my part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Rose Hip Rose- $10.99? Why? I'll buy it after I finish Rose Hip Zero.

Mushishi- I forgot to cancel my order on rightstuf and this popped up in the mail last week. I find it extremely repetitive.

Scott Pilgrim- It seems the bookstores in the area are finally getting this in stock. Great series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Your and My Secret also looks like it could be interesting and is worth checking out at least (though I am concerned about how long it is, because the premise could become REALLY drawn out, like I found it was with W Juliet, which of course is not the same plot but it reminds me of it nonetheless).

Don't worry. I read the Japanese releases (which one volume takes 18 MONTHS to come out...) and I looks it would end either at next volume, Volume 5 or Volume 6 in 2010.

I disagree that the first chapter felt rushed, really. I don't think you can jump in a wacky and surreal situation any better without drawing it out. I don't think there's no better reason of why it happened because Nanako's mad scientist grandfather is a really mad (and lazy) scientist who's willing to experiment on his only granddaughter. Plus the experiment was a failure in the first place (the machine was supposed to shrink the subject). What I like about it is that Akira is still a boy, despite his feminine ways, after the switch while Nanako embraces the joys of being a guy (and has utter disregard for using Akira's body).

It gets interesting later on when (EXTREME SPOILER) spoiler[Senbongi, Akira's best friend, finds out about the switch]. And the review doesn't have to worry about spoiler[Akira and Nanako changing back soon, they're still in their switched bodies as of Volume 4. ]
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Well Patachu, I do have some manga I want to review, but I'm afraid everyone won't be interested.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2