• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragonball Movie Reportedly Pushed Back to April 2009

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cenorig

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
Oh, damn.
I knew August was too good to be true.
It's always like that... Rolling Eyes
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
Damn. Oh well, that leaves more time to shoot and make it better I suppose.
Dark Wolf Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
Kinda figured this would happen, oh well im with you maybe this will be half way tolerable if they get more time.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I knew there was no way they could get it done in six months, unless they wanted it to look like Street Fighter.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
What is that, another live action Star Wars movie? Hm...

Oh wait. Dragonball pushed back until next April? Hm... It's still coming out... whatever.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:36 am Reply with quote
The new Star Wars, unlike the prequels, is intentionally a CG cartoon this time. Rolling Eyes
Kensai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Damn. Oh well, that leaves more time to shoot and make it better I suppose.

it'd be nice if it didn't suck...at least uwe boll isn't directing it.
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I know that nobody has anything approaching high hopes for this movie, but even so it's a *really bad* sign that FOX doesn't feel that it can compete with a bunch of B-list movies (even the Star Wars cartoon) that nobody has heard of.

This isn't being pushed back vesus Iron Man, it's being pushed back versus the Cartoon Network reject version of Star Wars (kidding, I actually loved the CW shorts).
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I should be mad at George Lucas for scaring them off or ifI should be thanking him Wink.

Still, there has to be another reason behind this delay. Movie don't just get pushed back 8 moths because they are afraid of competition.

In fact, I think I know what their problem is... their hair budget probably exceeded $200 million... Laughing !
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
When a Movie suppousedly was announced to be released in August, but doesn't have atleast a teaser trailer by March. You know it'll get delayed. Any movie with a budget over $100 Million usually has its' teaser out and about in December, not unless it's Star Wars, which doesn't need trailers, because I'm sure it'll still rake in tonnes of cash. Atleast it'll give Disney a run in the Best Animated Movie, in the Oscars, only to lose, because the academy doesn't care for hard science fiction. To be fair though, I do want to watch both DragonBall, and Pixar's Robot Movie(Name slips my mind).
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
The new Star Wars, unlike the prequels, is intentionally a CG cartoon this time. Rolling Eyes

so is it retelling of the Clone wars Mini-series thing?

Dragonball live action that sounds destined to fail if you ask me
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, we really won't know until we see it. Hell, Dragonball could end up being a knock-your-socks off caliber film! There is too much doubt, so I'm leaving room for optimism. A lot of you are right, this film hasn't even come out with a teaser trailer nor poster yet... and this can really show the stress that is being put on the filmmakers.

They have one more year to impress us. Let's see them do it.

/j
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
The projected time frame may well have been too short to try and release within that amount of time, and expect to edit it and stuff also. So, we should consider this an opportunity for the crew of Dragon Ball not to screw up so much and if possible, give us a quality film here. Provided they're not so cheesy with the elements.
ddojo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Fox changing the release date is an indication that they think the movies is terrible.

How can a movie make money being the 5th film opening in wide-release, including a Star Wars film. It's not a reject Star Wars creation either. It's been in the works for quite some time and is supposed to be one of the bigger events (starting theatrically as a preview, and then heading to television shortly after, airing on multiple networks) of the year.

Although I was really looking forward to an August release date, if releasing it in April makes it a better movie, I guess I have to support the decision.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Kinda feel sorry for FOX, though. Their line-up is crap this year, especially when Horton Hears a Who is the best they can whip up. I'm also wondering if they're not putting too many eggs in one basket by spending all that production and advertising money on DBZ, Wolverine, and Avatar for the same year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2