• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Masamune Shirow's Appleseed TV Series Pre-Announced

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluMeino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
That reminds me, I haven't watched Ex Machina yet.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
HOLY CRAP.

Appleseed anime....Paku Romi possibly on board for the project...

Oh God. Someone get me a paper bag - I think I'm going to hyperventilate here....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Gee took them long enough to get around to it. I was wondering when it was going to be slated.

I hope this will be animated like 'GiTS'. I don't think I can take all this CG animation in movies anymore. Movies and games yes, but TV series no. But in a world like 'Appleseed' you need it.

Good to know it's a go.
midori kou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Ooh finally! I think I'll watch this for sure. Smile
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
More Masamune Shirow anime on tv is always welcomed Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
BluMeino wrote:
That reminds me, I haven't watched Ex Machina yet.

Me either, I just ordered the SE off of Amazon. Thanks for the reminder. Wink

As for this news, it sounds like it will be cool. The material certainly can be taken in a lot of different ways. But I am with Chrno2, I hope it is animated in a "drawn" fashion.

Edit:
On a semi-related note, I wonder if the April 1st HD release of Ex Machina is going to be canceled since HD lost the format war? The BD is coming out March 11th just like the regular DVDs. Plus April Fools Day is not exactly the best release date.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
How can you have a tv show to a manga which isn't finished or continuing any time soon?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
y cant it be before she comes to the city when she in that hell fight for her life like in the begining of the first cg movies that will be awsome but it when she in swat but it will still be good
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I hope there can be some good stuff around this all in all. Haven't seen Ex-Machina yet, but I did think the first one was pretty good. So I would like to see where this will go.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
How can you have a tv show to a manga which isn't finished or continuing any time soon?

They do it all the time with Shonen Jump manga.

I still need to see Ex Machina....
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
GATSU wrote:

And the great thing about Appleseed is that it's such a huge world, there's plenty of room for alternate stories and stuff. I can sort of see it being like the first season of GitS: SAC, with an overarcing plot, but lots of good one-shot episodes in between.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:

Actually with a whole bunch of other stuff too.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
Actually, I'm curious did 'Shirow' ever finish 'Appleseed'?

I'd been following it since 'HS' [when it first started].

I would've thought from the books that were published here in the states the story was done. Considering that some of the stories seemed "self contained". But there was still so much to be answered. Then he jumped to 'Dominion'. Then he jumped to 'GiTS'. I just couldn't get into 'Man Machine Interface'. It made my head hurt. Too much techno "jargon" that he's good for.

I have to pick up 'Ex Machina'. I really do want to see that one.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Not that I'm aware. I have all four volumes of the manga that were released in the US, and while the fourth is basically a really long side story, the third leaves off with some huge unanswered questions.

It'd be neat if Shirow himself were involved with the TV series; maybe we could get something of a resolution to a few of the many, many open ends in the manga.

I do hope we get to see the other characters that haven't been in the movie, like Sokaku, Artemis, and Doric.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

It did not. Shirow mentioned in an interview with Animerica waaaaay back in 1993 that he "wanted to take a break after volume 5 comes out" but he apparently decided to take that break before even starting that volume. The series got pretty episodic toward the end, as I remember, so it's not like the series was left on a big cliffhanger or anything, but there are certainly more tales that could be told.

And hey, anyone who wants to learn more about Appleseed should pick up a copy of Protoculture Addicts #95, which includes a huge cover feature on Ex Machina and the entire Appleseed franchise, written by yours truly. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2