• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Made in Abyss (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:57 pm Reply with quote
10:

The more the show tries to explain how Reg and Faputa met, the more confused I get. Reg introduced his name to Faputa when they first met. But Reg is the name that Riko gave him when they first met, and it's from a dog she had (I went back to check the first episode of the first season).

Is this just pure coincidence? Because it's too much of a coincidence. I'm not seeing the full picture yet. Something's off.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:53 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
10:

The more the show tries to explain how Reg and Faputa met, the more confused I get. Reg introduced his name to Faputa when they first met. But Reg is the name that Riko gave him when they first met, and it's from a dog she had (I went back to check the first episode of the first season).

Is this just pure coincidence? Because it's too much of a coincidence. I'm not seeing the full picture yet. Something's off.

I can see a really easy answer to this. Riko's mum met Reg in the Abyss at some point of time in the past, she passed this name onto a dog that she gave her daughter, perhaps like I think Riko thinking that he is like a puppy dog, and Riko unknowingly returned the name to him.

We already saw that Reg has a memory of Riko's mum, right?
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:40 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I can see a really easy answer to this. Riko's mum met Reg in the Abyss at some point of time in the past, she passed this name onto a dog that she gave her daughter, perhaps like I think Riko thinking that he is like a puppy dog, and Riko unknowingly returned the name to him.

We already saw that Reg has a memory of Riko's mum, right?

Hmm, possible. A bit of a stretch, but very possible.

Then I would be curious at the timeline. It must have been one of Riko's mother's earlier expeditions, not her final one. Or, she mailed Riko Reg's name in one of hot-air balloons thingies for... whatever reason. Hmm no, this one's weird.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:10 pm Reply with quote
11:

Man, that was a rollercoaster ride of emotions.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:09 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (season finale)

Double length season finale, and really I don't think that there was any other way it could have been. I think that my favourite early part of the episode was seeing how Faputa had drawn on that picture of the gang, how the upside down figure over Rika had made us think that she wanted Rika dead, but we instead learned was that Faputa had recognised that Rika was important to Reg. Faputa didn't hate Rika, like we might have originally thought, but instead kind of thought well of as something that she recognised Reg liked. She also thought that Reg brought Nanachi along just for their smell. There is also a whole lot that could have been said about her relationship with Gaburoon, her best friend.

The episode did manage to have a shocking bit, when Vueko's body suddenly changed when going up the stairs, forgetting about the curse of the abyss, after so long within its the city's walls. Not sure if nice is the right word, but a reminder of inherent dangers of the abyss. Vueko was saved by someone who I understand was her old 'companion', you could see a lot of side glances that she gave Vueko earlier, sacrificing herself I guess without being able to fully explain what she felt. Really the entire village was gone, but what they passed on to their princess is probably something of thoughts. They had all resigned to their fate.

I will say that the season started off feeling rather disjointed, specifically with the whole past thing not connecting a lot to the modern time parts. But the show had some of its best parts later on when it did connect, and especially contributing to the Faputa parts a few episodes ago that was probably the best episode of the entire series. It will always be difficult to say something like this series could be perfect, especially when so many parts of it could be very uncomfortable via how gruesome it can be, and that it is kids often victim to the horribleness.

In full acknowledgment of everything difficult in the series, I think at this point I am comfortable to say it is not just a fluke and succeeded with its horrifying beauty. My rating will be Masterpiece (10/10), not perfect, but the general identity of itself this far in, I think earns it a place among the others I have put on that level.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:18 am Reply with quote
For me the first season is still the high water mark of this franchise, better than the movie and the second season. I ended up "enjoying" the second season but I found parts of it somewhat obtuse... difficult to understand. And I started to experience "cute kid character misery" fatigue. Still a fantastic show and worthy of a Very Good rating.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Final:

Seeing Vueko get cursed like that ruined me. Felt like it was karma that did her and not the curse, in a metaphorical way.

So, to sum up what I feel about this second season:

Blood- wrote:
For me the first season is still the high water mark of this franchise, better than the movie and the second season. I ended up "enjoying" the second season but I found parts of it somewhat obtuse... difficult to understand. And I started to experience "cute kid character misery" fatigue. Still a fantastic show and worthy of a Very Good rating.

Yeah. This, basically.

The first season is the best (so far). It created the foundation for what the Abyss is, and everything else that transpired was built upon what the first season had established. The second season did intrigue me with the "value system", which I think is simply a (convoluted) metaphor to one's worth and character. But like all the Abyss titles, it does the one thing that it's great at: shocking you with the "horrifying beauty" of the Abyss. Even at the expense of children's suffering. Maybe because of the children's suffering.

I will sound somewhat masochistic, but even if this title will always emotionally wreck me, I will still come back to it when a new season comes. It's too beautiful in a terrifying kind of way for me to ignore. A 9/10 for me, of course.

Last edited by ACxS on Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:56 pm Reply with quote
This season....man....

Anyone remember the Harry Potter quote-turned meme:

"You're gonna suffer....but you're gonna be...happy...about it....?"

None else applies all too well here. Laughing

ACxS wrote:
Final:
Seeing Vueko get cursed like that ruined me. Felt like it was karma that did her and not the curse, in an metaphorical way.

Yeah, me too. Crying or Very sad It was so awful. I wanted her to live and be Second Mom to Faputa. They clearly loved each other. DAMN YOUUUUU TSUKUSHIIIIIIII. Twisted Evil WHYYYYYYY DID YOU MURDER HERRRRRRR
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quoting AC x S:

Quote:
I will sound somewhat masochistic, but even if this title will always emotionally wreck me, I will still come back to it when a new season comes. It's too beautiful in a terrifying kind of way for me to ignore.

Make room for me on the masochist bus because I feel the same way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8