• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New 30th Anniversary Yu Yu Hakusho Blu-ray Disc Set Includes New OVAs with English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Not pleased with this, especially after the 4 year wait for those OVAs plus it makes buying those nice steelbook sets from a few years back feel like a waste (which it wasn't since they had bonus discs not in the original sets).
arcthenomad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind it because I don't have a complete series set of YYH yet.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:27 pm Reply with quote
They'd better do a separate release as well. I don't need a massive honking box with over 100 episodes I already own.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
They'd better do a separate release as well. I don't need a massive honking box with over 100 episodes I already own.

Thing is where to include them then or the price. I remember FMA Brotherhood had their OVAs released alone but I don't remember if it was Funimation or Aniplex who did that release.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Had to look again because I didn't understand why the box was so big for an OVA. I'm not convinced they will sell it separately if they didn't say anything, and it wouldn't be the first time that an OVA got tacked onto a re-release instead of being sold separately.

I could, maybe, justify it for myself since I own the series on DVD instead of blu-ray, but I'd rather just get the content I don't have.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

The problem is there's no guarantee anymore if they will since they have yet to do so with other titles previously released in LEs in recent years (see the Cowboy Bebop & Code Geass movies, only had steelbooks with the latter's 3rd movie not even lasting in print a year).

tintor2 wrote:
Thing is where to include them then or the price. I remember FMA Brotherhood had their OVAs released alone but I don't remember if it was Funimation or Aniplex who did that release.

The separate release was Funimation while the box set was Aniplex.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I imagine the reason why the new OVAs are exclusive to this boxset (for the time being, at least) is due to a Japanese licensor request, as those OVAs were also originally released as part of Japan's 25th Anniversary boxset.

Can't go doing something different from the Japanese, of course! (sarcasm)
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:26 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

The problem is there's no guarantee anymore if they will since they have yet to do so with other titles previously released in LEs in recent years (see the Cowboy Bebop & Code Geass movies, only had steelbooks with the latter's 3rd movie not even lasting in print a year).

Oh I know, those two releases continue to boggle my mind. They've had Bebop itself for years, and yet that single release lasts less than a year and then vanishes into the aether. I wound up importing Anime Limited's Geass movie boxet, and 3 out of the 4 discs of that were straight reprints of FUNi's, with their own trailers and everything. What even happened with those?

More generally, I'm just getting sick and tired of anime distributors in particular releasing better releases shortly after the original release, so that you're either forced to double-buy or just be stuck with the inferior one. At least Sentai tends to note on their product pages if there's a later limited edition of a series coming, but there have been a number of other recent steelbook re-releases that I totally would have sprung for if I'd known about them beforehand. I know the YYH situation was different, since the original BD sets were out for a good while beforehand, but even then the steelbooks had more bonus content and disappeared very quickly, so those of us who bought the original sets were screwed over.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:02 pm Reply with quote
They should have rescued licensed the second Yu Yu Hakusho movie and included the new OVAs or at least include the second movie with this new boxset that would make it easier to justify fans double dipping for it to me. I'm not sure why Funimation hasn't rescued the second movie yet as they had no problems getting the first movie and even redubbing it. Speaking of which, unless Right Stuf doesn't have all the info on available features, I'm not the older OVAs and first movie are included with this new set even though they were included with previous releases. And Crunchyroll clearly still has the rights as they have the old OVAs streaming. So now you have to buy two releases of Yu Yu Hakusho if you want the original OVAs and first movie as well
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:03 pm Reply with quote
And yet, they still haven't redubbed the Poltergeist Report movie.
LadyKuzunoha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm not sure why Funimation hasn't rescued the second movie yet as they had no problems getting the first movie and even redubbing it. Speaking of which, unless Right Stuf doesn't have all the info on available features, I'm not the older OVAs and first movie are included with this new set even though they were included with previous releases. And Crunchyroll clearly still has the rights as they have the old OVAs streaming.

I was about to remark on this myself. Personally I've more or less given up on Poltergeist Report getting a license rescue at this point (already had to wait like ten years for the Eizou OVAs and Golden Seal), but even so it's odd how they're talking about this like it's an all-in-one set, yet it doesn't seem to include all of what Funimation had licensed prior to the merger.

My only guess is that perhaps since none of that is technically canon the way the 2018 OVAs technically are, that's why it'd be cut, but then neither are the dub-related special features they've chosen to include. And I say that as someone who was extremely happy to see the 2003 outtake reel and audio commentaries on the list of features.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:56 pm Reply with quote
LadyKuzunoha wrote:

I was about to remark on this myself. Personally I've more or less given up on Poltergeist Report getting a license rescue at this point (already had to wait like ten years for the Eizou OVAs and Golden Seal), but even so it's odd how they're talking about this like it's an all-in-one set, yet it doesn't seem to include all of what Funimation had licensed prior to the merger.

And you just know previous editions will eventually be phased out of print making it harder to get those OVAs and the first movie.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:03 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

Funi did that one.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I never picked up those steel books, so it'd be nice if this set had those, but I'm guessing they would have mentioned it if it did. Maybe when they re-release this set with a higher price point and longer name? lol
AtomicRobo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:13 am Reply with quote
It's about dang time! I was at the YYH reunion panel at NYCC 2019 when they announced that they dubbed the 2 new OVAs! It looks like I better get the 3rd and 4th steelbook releases of the show very soon as well as the previous OVA/movie release. It would be nice if Funimation would throw us a bone and bundle all of the OVAs and movie together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2