• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Film Holds 1-Day Screenings on Story's December 18 Date

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
09jcg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I want a season 3 so so much Sad
Uraniox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:17 pm Reply with quote
They should just announce the new Haruhi anime while original seiyu still sound young enough.
Not that I have anything against new seiyu, but at this point the original ones are really iconic.

Sequel, remake, reboot, just that it revives interest in the series.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I'd just be happy with bringing the story in the novels to a conclusion, but it's pretty clear the writer is tired of the series.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Sure would be nice if Crunchyroll added it to their catalog on that day, since they're currently expanding the site's movie selection.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Uraniox wrote:
They should just announce the new Haruhi anime while original seiyu still sound young enough. Not that I have anything against new seiyu, but at this point the original ones are really iconic.

Didn't Aya Hirano, Haruhi's seiyuu, retire from voice acting? Not to mention that Yuko Goto, who voiced Mikuru, has stopped acting due to health problems. I can see KyoAni being interested in a new project, there's plenty of old anime that got remakes or new entries recently.
Personally, I just want the original series dubbed into Neutral Spanish
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Uraniox wrote:
They should just announce the new Haruhi anime while original seiyu still sound young enough. Not that I have anything against new seiyu, but at this point the original ones are really iconic.

Didn't Aya Hirano, Haruhi's seiyuu, retire from voice acting? Not to mention that Yuko Goto, who voiced Mikuru, has stopped acting due to health problems. I can see KyoAni being interested in a new project, there's plenty of old anime that got remakes or new entries recently.

neither are retired. Yuko had to slow down and take less works due to her health issues,but she's still active,and Aya is busy with other activities,but she's still active as a voice-actress too
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Didn't Aya Hirano, Haruhi's seiyuu, retire from voice acting?
Huh? No, she's not and she is still available to do the voice acting - ironically, just recently she got paired with Minori Chihara (Nagato's seiyuu) for the first episode of the second season of Pop Team Epic - just because of their Haruhi roles.

Last edited by WANNFH on Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Didn't Aya Hirano, Haruhi's seiyuu, retire from voice acting? Not to mention that Yuko Goto, who voiced Mikuru, has stopped acting due to health problems

It doesn't seem like Aya Hirano has completely retired, she's reprised old roles as recently as Dragon Ball Super Hero and she had a new role as Popuko in episode 1 of Pop Team Epic season 2.

Yuuko Gotou doesn't do much voice acting anymore, but it seems like she does still do it occasionally and she might be able to come back as Mikuru if there was a hypothetical sequel.
Uraniox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

Hirano still comes back to reprise her old roles, like Lucy from Fairy Tail, or Dende from Dragon Ball, so, yeah, she didn't completely abandoned voice acting.

Besides, Haruhi is, AFAIK, very special role for her.

As for Yuuko Goto, I wouldn't know.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:09 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Yuuko Gotou doesn't do much voice acting anymore, but it seems like she does still do it occasionally and she might be able to come back as Mikuru if there was a hypothetical sequel.
Well, by checking her last roles, she played Miyu in Blue Archive... so yeah, it's easy to count on Gotou as being still active too.

Technically, they don't even need to replace minor characters too - like Taniguchi, cause Minoru Shiraishi is also pretty active as seiyuu and host, even if he got not a few roles since the KyoAni's Haruhi and Lucky Star, or Asakura (Natsuko Kuwatani seems to still reprise her older roles too).
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Hearing that this movie was very good took me down the rabbit hole of watching the series and visiting Japan before actually watching the English dub.

A lot of good memories. The road outside of Nishinomiya Kita High School when I visited in 2015:

Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I remember I went to a similar showing in San Fransisco back in 2012... wow that was almost 10 years ago... But yeah I get it...

Also about Aya Hirano... I have heard of a recent role. It's not an anime but rather Disney, she played Isabella in Encanto.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:13 am Reply with quote
Aya Hirano just cut a promo as Haruhi last month. It was an advertisement for something. I remember seeing the news on here or on Crunchyroll news. It was just a short 30 or 60 second ad but still cool.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Personally, this is where Haruhi should've ended. The light novels never captured the same resolution or potency as this novel/film. On topic, I would very much go to a rescreening of this amazing film.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I usually watch The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya around December 18th as well.

I've also considered watching the scenes from the movie chronologically in "real time" but basically that would involve watching the middle of the movie on July 7th (Tanabata) and then waiting three years and five months to watch the rest of the movie over a few days in December. Also, I think I'd need it running on a couple of different screens for that one December 18th early morning scene.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1