• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Content cuts found in the Seven Seas release of 'Bloom Into You - Regarding Saeki Sayaka'.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
(I hope this is right place to share this.)

For those interesed, Bloom Into You, also has Seven Seas editing. Here is the link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LightNovels/comments/mclmju/content_cuts_found_in_the_seven_seas_release_of/
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps we could change this thread to "Post Seven Seas Content Cuts you find here." There's an article about it in Talkback for anyone who's interested. animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2021-04-26/why-seven-seas-altered-its-light-novels/.171956 Let's get active in making sure Seven Seas knows we're keeping an eye on them.
SomurCsawn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:13 am Reply with quote
It's been four months and Seven Seas hasn't addressed the content cuts. Now more has showed up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LightNovels/comments/opllg8/seven_seas_and_more_content_cuts_in_bloom_into/
adam_omega

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Seven Seas has plans to release adjusted editions of Bloom Into You: Regarding Saeki Sayaka (Light Novel) Volumes 1-3 later this year. This light novel series wasn’t censored, but an in-house evaluation determined that the editorial process cut more lines than were necessary when it was done, so we’re re-editing them using our updated editorial policies. The changes will be minor.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:00 am Reply with quote
@adam_omega

Under what circumstances would it be necessary to "cut" any lines?
SomurCsawn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Iruma, the author of the Regarding Saeki Sayaka series, once said in an interview (source, don't open at work) that when he writes good prose, it feels like touching comfortable, fine blue cloth. And not-so-good prose feels like touching rugged...
Following the analogy, cuts made to his work seem to make this cloth threadbare.
Breunoke

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Are there any updates on the revising of this series? Since it has issues more than just content cuts:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LightNovels/comments/s5dnpl/seven_seas_and_translation_issues_in_bloom_into/

Some lines seem to be the result of translation errors rather than editing though, such as 開いた should be "opened" instead of "closed". (I thought the explanation for that example was overkill Laughing )
The inconsistent translations for repeated text in each of the volumes might be due to the text being split between the two translators who didn't/couldn't communicate with each other, not that it makes the contrast between the color gallery's excerpts and the story less annoying.
The opening lines of volume 3 read really differently too. Setting aside the content cuts, it seems the professional translator and the fan translator went with different definitions of the words/phrases, but the context makes it clear that the fan's meaning fits better with the dialogue that follows.
Breunoke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:45 pm Reply with quote
So...what happened to those plans about releasing re-edited versions last year?

https://www.reddit.com/r/LightNovels/comments/vxbmgb/seven_seas_and_more_translation_issues_in_bloom/

Quote:
It generally took Seven Seas one week to make a statement and five weeks after that to have errata or revised editions available. With the Bloom Into You releases, it took eighteen weeks and is taking over fifty weeks, respectively.

Quote:
Seven Seas is taking at least a year to revise the Bloom Into You: Regarding Saeki Sayaka volumes, despite being timelier with series complaints that they addressed earlier (I'm in Love With the Villainess, Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation, Classroom of the Elite) and later (Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation: Mo Dao Zu Shi).

Are the issues that difficult to resolve when the fan has a series of blog posts identifying the passages of concern and providing a suggested translation? Not to mention the problems in the manga and anthology volumes...
rubelahame

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:12 am Reply with quote
Under what circumstances would it be necessary to "cut" any lines?
Breunoke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:15 am Reply with quote
Is Seven Seas fine with having the reputation of making empty promises of revisions?

Examples of the text not reading right in English:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LightNovels/comments/zh0zur/spoilers_volume_highlights_of_translation_issues/

Even if a reader can't really notice content cuts until they watch the adaptation, they can clearly notice translation errors when the resulting story and characterization makes no sense.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:08 am Reply with quote
Crap. Shocked Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1