• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Summer Time Rendering (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 25 (finale)

Hmm, I never wrote about watching the show. Just talking about towards the end of the series, I was on two minds, that it might have been better finishing off with a bookend of Shinpei waking up like the start of the show, but a world without the shadows. But I guess it wanted to explain that it quickly became like a dream he was forgetting to Shinpei, how Hizuru grew up different but the same, Ryuunosuke grew up and had a kid called Haine, and finish it off with Shinpei and even Ushio remembering. Did Shinpei's parents still pass away? Presumably the twins did not have their shadow mother either.

I was kind of apprehensive at the start, kind of afraid of actually liking it. But I will certainly say that it grew onto me, overall being a fun series with its particular stylings. Just when you thought maybe they were getting to an end, it was only halfway through and there was a lot more stuff. And for a series that I would say had a lot of shocking moments, like characters being killed and stuff, I didn't really feel like it went super gratuitous. Not in a way that I thought that it was trying to get attention by being edgy. At the start I kind of had the thought that it was an addaption of a visual novel, so I was a bit surprised to learn that it was a manga.

My rating will be Very good (8/10).
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:29 am Reply with quote
There's a twitter report that Hulu now has this. Can't confirm it myself.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:12 am Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
There's a twitter report that Hulu now has this. Can't confirm it myself.

Confirming that it is. I just checked right after seeing your post, Nom.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:33 am Reply with quote
Maybe report that in the Preview Guide so they can review it and maybe get it into the Weekly Reviews, where it can really be done justice? If it's only just now legally released outside Japan, it should be eligible, right?
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Beltane70.

Put a note in the Preview Guide thread about this and the first ep having been reviewed in the Spring Preview Guide, with a link to that review. Thanks for that idea, Gina Szanboti. Maybe it will get a full series review, or get into weekly reviews.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Thanks, Beltane70.

Put a note in the Preview Guide thread about this and the first ep having been reviewed in the Spring Preview Guide, with a link to that review. Thanks for that idea, Gina Szanboti. Maybe it will get a full series review, or get into weekly reviews.

A full series review would be the most likely review since Hulu has the completed series up.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:31 am Reply with quote
<<But I will certainly say that it grew onto me, overall being a fun series with its particular stylings. Just when you thought maybe they were getting to an end, it was only halfway through and there was a lot more stuff. And for a series that I would say had a lot of shocking moments, like characters being killed and stuff, I didn't really feel like it went super gratuitous.>>

I felt the same way. I loved the way it spiraled into something much more epic, with all sorts of metaphysical/logical twists and turns. I do think the last three episodes were maybe one episode/showdown/seeming climax too long. I was emotionally fatigued and fighting the urge to fast forward at the end. But the show just kept getting better for the first 10 episodes, and I thought the last episode was an incredible pay-off, so that's a small matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2