• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chillin' in My 30s after Getting Fired from the Demon King's Army (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:08 pm Reply with quote

Chillin' in My 30s after Getting Fired from the Demon King's Army (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 3 Volumes, written by Rokujūyon Okazawa, illustrated by Sage Joh)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Encourage Films

Genres: adventure, fantasy

Themes:

Plot Summary: Dariel is a soldier in the Dark Lord's army who cannot use magic. Instead, he wields his intellect and initiative as an assistant to one of the Dark Lord's most trusted captains. But when the captain is summarily replaced, Dariel also loses his privileged position and is fired. In disappointment, he retires in a village of humans, getting a new start in life by using his abilities to accept requests for help.

Air Date & Platform:
January 7, 2023 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:59 am; edited 2 times in total
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:04 am Reply with quote
This flippin show bails on its premise and its title by the 15 minute mark of ep1

what's the point of calling it chillin' in my 30s when he's forced to join a guild and is actually a super strong guy?

What a waste of a show and a premise. Why can't these friggin manga/LN/anime creators just commit to the bit?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:51 pm Reply with quote
This seems like it might be pretty fun. All the various fantasy/isekai shows I'm watching this season are going to inevitably start melding together in my mind but at least I'll be able to remember the "demon who is actually a human" part. So that's something.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:04 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
This flippin show bails on its premise and its title by the 15 minute mark of ep1

what's the point of calling it chillin' in my 30s when he's forced to join a guild and is actually a super strong guy?

What a waste of a show and a premise. Why can't these friggin manga/LN/anime creators just commit to the bit?

The OP thing isn't really a big deal. In just about every fantasy slice of life I can think of, the main character is OP. Banished From the Hero's Party. Living in Leadale. The one about the woman who hunted slimes for a long time and became invincible. By The Grace of the Gods. Etc.

And in almost all of them, the quiet life has a lot of interruptions. It's peaceful in relation to how stressful and unrewarding their lives were before.

But I do agree that the title is misleading. It ought be "The Weakest Demon becomes the Strongest Human" or something like that. The new "Farming Life in Another World" might be more up your alley.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Ep3- Well, these titles are too long to take seriously anyway so I for one don't care if "chillin'" is literal or metaphorical and I am loving this charming nudge at corporate dysfunction. With some workplaces being run/managed by A-holes that believe the term "wage-slave" should be literal and a growing number of young people rebelling against that abuse, this episode is an example that people like to be treated as people and will gladly work for those that value and respect them. As it should be!

Also a slam at the upper managers who don't actually "manage" but let the business run itself and treat the management ranks as their own little kingdom whose denizens had better make up to them because they are powerful or risk the ultimate consequences. Mad
To quote Nell of another of my faves this season Reincarnated as a Sword "they should all piss off and DIE!!"...
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking this show thus far, and hardly anyone is covering it, or even doing reactions of it.

Episode 6, what can I say...

spoiler[I'm so glad those two banged and got married instead of the usual anime trope where they just dick around with the "will they, or won't they." Clearly this anime has its priorities in the right place.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I dug that part, too. And heck, that all happened midway through the season. That is truly break neck speed by usual anime standards.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:31 am Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
I'm liking this show thus far, and hardly anyone is covering it, or even doing reactions of it. [/spoiler]

Sounds like you've got a mission statement Smile I'm watching more anime than I can shake a keyboard at myself.

Going from first kiss to getting busy to marriage to mayor to father of a toddler in 15 minutes seemed way too rushed to me, but I'm guessing it marked the end of one light novel volume and the beginning of another, so I'm okay with it. I, too, thought it was a nice surprise that they avoided the path of the insanely dense or totally asexual MC surrounded by a throng of woman adoring him for no discernible reason.

I thought the cheat notes the hero wrote on her forearm were funny. Especially the one that said "Do the opposite of whatever her name is"

Still wondering what Marika's abnormal strength is all about though.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:43 am Reply with quote
^^Yeah, it was so refreshing that they didn't do the wishy-washy oblivious potato-kun bit forever because, dang, what guy wouldn't take her up on that offer being friends, nearly naked and alone. Now, if they have her secretly being a "demon" that would be comic irony...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:33 am Reply with quote
... well, that would certainly explain her super strength perhaps...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Now, if they have her secretly being a "demon" that would be comic irony...

I'd like that twist.

I have to say, I've been enjoying the second (i.e.: post shotgun wedding) arc of this anime more than the first. I was kind of like, "yeah, okay, I'll watch it again next week, why not?" for the first half, but the arrival of the hero's party and Dariel's growing up a bit has made things livelier.

Marika is starting to come into her own too. I thought her new role as Dr. Jekyl and Mrs. Wife was pretty funny. Y'know, happy and bubbly one moment, then radiating some kind of oppressive aura when her nerves get stepped on. .

Though I'm starting to wonder if I was naive to assume that the anime had decided to skip the harem route.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

This anime continues to do things I don't expect. First thing, of course, was Dariel and Monster Woman getting hitched and having a kid. Second thing is Dariel actually telling peeps he was a human raised in the demon world. The usual convention for that sort of thing is to wring "humour" out of the protag trying desperately to keep something a secret. All kinds of things conspire to ALMOST reveal the secret and hilarity ensues. Nice to see them not dragging that out.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Ooooo, Holy Surprising Reveal, Batman! Turns out that Dariel is the son of the former Hero. And now the demon who raised him like a son is on the scene. Juicy stuff! Never a dull moment in Lux Village, let me tell ya.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 9 Juicy stuff! Never a dull moment in Lux Village, let me tell ya.

It's official as far as I'm concerned. Right smack at the midpoint, this anime went from being a mildly guilty pleasure to being pretty decent.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I just watched episode 12 and was quite surprised about the differences between what was in the anime and what I read in the web novel. Most of these differences are around Bashbarza and will have consequences for everyone in the future.
I won't go into this further because I encourage you to read the free web novel. Just engage Google Translate into your web browser to read it in English.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2