• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Delicious Party Precure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Very good review this week, especially this part.
Quote:
I say this because of the glimpse we get of Secretoru's past this week. We've known that she's wanted to more or less gatekeep food since her takeover as the main villain, but this week we see that it's not because she herself is an exquisite cook; it's more that she is the ultimate perfectionist, and her own frustrations with her imperfect cooking have driven her to be a particularly harsh critic.

I saw a lot of people who were confused by the scene and for some reason though she was just upset she couldn't crack eggs? No, every time she loses she comes up with an excuse for why she failed, it's clear what her problem is.
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Good review, until actually this part
Quote:
Yui breaking down in tears when she realizes that the best friend she's been trying to keep her not-so-secret identity as Cure Precious from is in fact the person who has been helping her all along shows the toll that all of this has taken on her. This gives us a bit of a hint that she has been keeping everything bottled up inside

Yui very specifically says she doesn't know why she's crying and I find it a bit insulting to the characters to just assume her reason beyond her stated one, which is that she doesn't know. It's a very complexly human moment in this show that's made to sell toys to little girls. The fact that she apparently keeps crying until they get home and Takumi makes her riceballs says a lot as well, you call her underdeveloped but after the grandmother episode I don't really see what more you could want from her outside of whatever the final episodes will deliver.
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:37 pm Reply with quote
It is nice to see a substantial review each week that's really giving the show an honest chance, however.
Quote:
When Cinnamon remarks that someone essentially set the stone up to malfunction, only one person could have done that, which suggests that Fennel has been planning this for a long time. Still, he could ensure that Mari was at least slightly handicapped in his endeavors by ensuring that his Delicioustone would break and be unable to function at total capacity

Rosemary would have just died in episode one if not for Yui, there's really nothing to imply otherwise so it's a little bit more than just making him work at lower capacity. It's not like he told Secretoru to tell Gentle to go easy on Rosemary at any point. That along with him doing an attempted snipe on all four girls really makes me wonder what Fennels ultimate outcome is going to be for the show. He was given a backstory and is ultimately a human of this alternate universe, but he's so clearly someone without any complaints on killing so I don't know what direction they will take. Speaking of.
Quote:
Since Cinnamon is clearly very skilled and intelligent, we can make the educated guess that Fennel quickly became jealous of his fellow student and saw him as an impediment to his ascension through the ranks of the Cookfighters

While that is a pretty fair thing to assume, it could also have to be a relation to Ginger's legacy more than wanting a rank. He wanted to be Ginger's successor but Ginger favored Cinnamon or something like that. He doesn't like that Ginger pissed off to the human world, it's more Ginger focused. Remember, Yui said Ginger liked their food, and all he could say was "I'm sure he did", if they could somehow tie this into Yui by making Ginger possibly his Grandfather so Fennel is even more of a mirror to Yui it would be extremely nice. Finally.
Quote:
It even sheds a different light on the fact that Narcistoru are initially targeted Amane and turned her into Gentlu as well; he may have known that Amane had the potential to become a Pretty Cure and was taking steps to prevent that from happening.

While it would be epic and maybe they'll say something about it, I think it's pretty well established why Amane was kidnapped and brainwashed at this point. The Bundoru Gang saw a Recipipi on an advertisement for Amanes restaurant, realized she could see them, and then they kidnapped her and brainwashed her because of that. They never brainwashed anyone again once they got a device that could find them. There is a weird thing that people keep wanting to give Amane some dark backstory for why she joined with them, but they just needed a tool, and a drawing from her youth accidentally showed them where the tool could be found.
People who call her a "Redemption Cure" do it for cataloging and nothing else, they're not interested in any real aspect of the character other than that she used to wear black.
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Great review this week, no complaints. Very well written. Couldn't agree with it more about the episodes.
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Another great review as we reach the end.
Quote:
As you've seen in the lead-up to this penultimate episode, Fennel's transformation into Godatz was born of his insecurities and jealousies, a feeling that he was never good enough and couldn't truly trust the people who called themselves his friends.

I think it's really more his worship of Ginger, but he is undeniably insecure and undeniably jealous, so that's not wrong. He was naturally jealous of everyone Ginger favored. It will be interesting if the show ends without Ginger giving him some sort of final message somehow (like one for him directly, not the one with the Ginger hologram that broke him further), but that might also fit the show if he doesn't get the resolution.
The subtitles I was watching messed up one of the lines, when Ginger says "food is smiles" he says "Protect other people's smiles" too, and this causes Godatz to says something that is more like "Why is it ALWAYS about everyone else's smiles...". I've been thinking about that since I watched the episode. It's so pitiful. They had him so cynical and so cold for so many episodes, so it just makes it hit so much harder, when he finally turns into a warped evil version of his mentor Ginger he finally let's a completely humane vulnerable comment slip out.
I really appreciate how only the final paragraph of this review was about the fight, everyone is only talking about the fight, but you're talking about the characters, it's good.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I get what they were trying to do with having the final transformation be for the sake of food preparation, even if stretching a bit for that with lighting candles on a cake. But also including the group attack was just gratuitous and screamed them not having enough material to fill the denouement episode. Which I guess is what happens when you can't really wring the obligatory separation scene when travel between the two worlds is so trivial. It's a shame coming off a wonderful final battle, and just in general a bit of a whimper to end off what was otherwise a strong last stretch of episodes.

Seeing Spiritoru in the credits also reminds me how he's one of the worst generals in the franchise, Maho Girls villain levels of bad. Could be erased from the show and next to nothing would need to be changed.
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:54 pm Reply with quote
My 1st time finishing a precure series and i loved it. I really like the theme of "food brings smiles" and how through food they were all able to bond. even small things like Yui's mom making rice with no meat so everyone could enjoy it
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:21 am Reply with quote
sourpatchthekid wrote:
even small things like Yui's mom making rice with no meat so everyone could enjoy it

I forgot to mention that in the review! I loved that detail, especially because I don't eat pork. It was a beautiful piece of inclusion.
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I am so glad you picked up on the depiction of him as a child in that scene, I found it genius too. It showed that his villainy came from an inherently childish, yet honest, feeling. It's really what makes Precure, well, Precure, I'm glad you made note of it.
It's very nice to see that ANN has become the best source for honest, well thought out Precure reviews this season. I may have had some criticisms a few months ago but this is honestly the best anyone else watching could ask for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9