• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - E3, I barely knew ye

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:27 pm Reply with quote
As much as I hate to acknowledge it, I don't think we can call Cyberpunk 2077 a dud. Commercially it sold quite well, warts and all, and critically I've seen several articles praising its "comeback" story (I have...opinions on the matter.) The point is a reasonable one though, even now- regardless of what the game is now, it will probably never be what it was billed as.

Disgaea games are always weird. Yes, the grind gets accentuated, but it doesn't tend to be necessary until the postgame. The bigger issue is just how weird some of the systems get. Still, there's very little like the sense of humor these games carry, so as long as the cast is half-decent (and we stay away from the automation in the prior game,) I'll be happy enough.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the Rhapsody sequels are finally coming over, but I admit, I'm severely let down that the songs will be undubbed. Having good singing was unheard of in the PS1 era, let alone good voice acting. It's weird they'll dub the dialogue when the original just had songs. Reading along to the lyrics just isn't the same as a song's language being something you can connect with. I think the songs being accessible was a big reason why the target demographic of young girls now remember the original so fondly.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed what I've played of the Disgaea games (all of 1 and some of 5 (not sure how far I got)), but it's hard to find time to spend 100s of hours with those games these days. If 7 reviews well, I'll probably pick up the usual complete edition for ps5 whenever that's announced, but probably not till it's on sale...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Microsoft has their own theater next to E3 - that's where they've been doing most of their E3 stuff in recent years. They can still have a simple booth inside E3 proper; they don't need a whole stage there

Murder, She wrote:

Tons of games will be removed from the Xbox 360's XBox Live service by February 7th. The list is pretty comprehensive, including classics like Castle Crashers and KOTOR 2, along with beloved JRPGs like the unfortunate Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. Don't miss out on them!

The games that are backwards-compatible will still be available on the separate XB1/Series store

Lost Odyssey:

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Lost-Odyssey/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307fa

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/Lost-Odyssey/BZB4S8FS8T5B

Blue Dragon:

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Blue-Dragon/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307df

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/Blue-Dragon/C2HGK9J5367F
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Of all Twitter accounts you guys used to post a video, you used one that belong to H-artist Maidoll. Laughing
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I will say, at least Keighley seems to be speedrunning E3's trajectory with people considering the Awards to be a joke right off the bat no matter how many celebrities he invites to them. And the fact that Nintendo shows nothing but their b-roll stuff like MUA3 and Bayonetta Origins or DLC at them, saving big stuff for their own Directs.

As for E3, I've always felt the main problem was that the show had an identity crisis. For too many years it was billed as a trade show, but its atmosphere clearly wanted to be something like Comic-Con or PAX. And that's difficult to justify when the show was an industry/press-only event. Later they opened the floor up to the public, but even then it was very indecisive. Supposedly part of the reason the Big Three pulled out was because the ESA and Reedpop were weirdly opaque about what the show was even going to be like, which is bad when you have less than half a year until opening day. I dunno, I'm sure the E3 brand must persist, but how it's going on right now definitely won't.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:12 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
Of all Twitter accounts you guys used to post a video, you used one that belong to H-artist Maidoll. Laughing

It was a conscious decision on my behalf. You probably won't believe me, but part of why I follow Maidoll is because they're pretty open about the games they love--they're really into PSO2 and Forza and it's nice seeing dedicated fans talk about why they love stuff. Through Maidoll, I've learned that PSO2 players basically treat the game as an expensive 3D chat program. There's a whole culture to it. So when Gungrave G.O.R.E. came out, they were playing it and just having an absolutely miserable time on that train stage. That, and it was a pretty hilarious glitch. Coming from them, it was just as good a vertical slice of the game as anything else. They also shared this really amazing combo vid they did in one later level.

AiddonValentine wrote:
I will say, at least Keighley seems to be speedrunning E3's trajectory with people considering the Awards to be a joke right off the bat no matter how many celebrities he invites to them. And the fact that Nintendo shows nothing but their b-roll stuff like MUA3 and Bayonetta Origins or DLC at them, saving big stuff for their own Directs.

Nothing is more embarrassing to Keighley's cause than dragging Al Pacino on-stage and Pacino talking about how he doesn't actually play video games. I mean, besides the kid sneaking on-stage and spouting anti-Semite dogwhistles.

AiddonValentine wrote:
As for E3, I've always felt the main problem was that the show had an identity crisis. For too many years it was billed as a trade show, but its atmosphere clearly wanted to be something like Comic-Con or PAX. And that's difficult to justify when the show was an industry/press-only event. Later they opened the floor up to the public, but even then it was very indecisive.

For sure. E3's magic worked when people got all their info second-hand from photos in magazines, but once people started streaming it it just looked like another convention.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Love Live! game received a tie-in anime featuring the original nine idols from μ's (pronounced "muse").

The basic timeline was:
2010: Love Live project announced featuring μ's
2012: Manga (about μ's) starts
Jan 2013: Original anime airs (μ's)
April 2013: SIF starts

So, while the game was no doubt in development for a while, the anime came first. It didn't receive a tie-in anime, the anime received a tie-in game.

Quote:
Still, the game also made sure to fill out your ranks with all of μ's' classmates, all of whom had their backstories and quirks. And a lot of them were adorable too! Eagle-eyed viewers could see them in the background of the Love Live! anime.

I'm kind of confused by this as I believe all of the N girls went to different schools and I don't believe they showed up (Season 1 of the anime finished before the game came out but they may have been cameos in s2 I'm forgetting?).
There WERE cards made of side characters from the anime, like the classmate girls who help them and the character's family. But they didn't have storylines or anything. They were just fodder for training your cards, from memory.

Later on, the N cards did appear in a Love Live series but that was Love Live Nijigasaki (anime in 2020. Niji IS a tie in anime to the game) not OG Love Live. Not sure if I'm misunderstanding your sentence, if the N girls did appear in the BG of OG Love Live or if you're conflating multiple LL series?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1