• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Giant Beasts of Ars (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I see some of the parallels in the set-up, but I don't think this show really has a Cowboy Bebop vibe. It's not quite roguish enough IMHO. Now if you want to talk about how Firefly was obviously inspired by Cowboy Bebop, I'll be in the choir loft right behind you saying "Amen!"

Well, the "girl in a crate" thing that Firefly "borrows" is from Outlaw Star. Is it intentional that people are just assuming everything space cowboy related is from Bebop? This is genuinely amusing me, mostly because I don't actually like Cowboy Bebop and never made it past episode 10.

Outlaw Star's great though... and I'll stop it there before I get some "Um, actually"s from Bebop fans.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I did watch Cowboy Bebop to the bitter end and I give it a resounding "meh." Don't get me wrong, I understand why it's considered a classic but it didn't do much for me. I've always promised myself I'd do a rewatch just to see if my opinion changes. I've owned a copy of Outlaw Star for years but like so many of my physical titles just haven't gotten around to watching it yet. This convo is kinda making me want to check it out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

I knew that it was going to be unlikely, adding a character to the cast looks almost identical to the lead, but I was really hoping that Kumi could save her sister. It did look like Kumi was able to talk her down, but there was some sort of sleeper trigger that made her self-destruct. At least it is even easier to hate the villain now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

NOOOOOOO, NOT MY SWEET KUMI THE BLOSSOMING FLOWER!!!

I genuinely don't know if she has plot armour or not. I *think* a way will be found to save her, but there is part of me that fears the show will go the more tragic route with perhaps some compensation that one of her clones has her personality but not her memories. Only 2 episodes until we find out, but I'm tense about it. Sometimes, I hate how anime toys with my innocent maiden heart...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:46 am Reply with quote
I will admit that the end of the episode actually hit my emotions a bit. It does seem pretty hopeless, the whole terminal thing. But I also remembered that we might have a couple loose threads. Especially Myaa, which I think kind of hinted that the different personalities per the different animals, might kind of be a facade, with their minds almost interchangeable. Maybe something similar will happen with Kumi?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:09 am Reply with quote
Epiisode 12 (Finale)

Well, that was a bit of an odd duck of an ending. I am delighted that Kumi the Blossoming Flower continues to live but they did seem to completely gloss over the "she's not long for this world" aspect that was raised in episode 10. I don't feel the show did a great job of explaining the "behind the scenes" stuff so I'm still hazy on the Judgment and so on. Still have no idea what the deal with the Chapeaus is. However, overall, I'm going to rate this show as Good. It made me care about Kumi and I always did dig the fantasy setting with SF elements angle even if it was never really explained. I hope we get more.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:49 am Reply with quote
Did we seriously just get a "the end", right on a cliff-hanger, with no real hint to a follow up confirmed? It was a pretty cool finale though, with Kumi becoming the pilot and doing cool ultra magic attacks. And also full grown Myaa.

I am not sure I can really explain what out of most of this season drew me to Giant Beasts of Ars. Just something about it actually felt good, which has felt increasingly difficult for me to find. And full disclosure, it is not because all aspects of this show are good, because the animation budget quite clearly is often strained, and I would explain the worldbuilding to often be particularly disjointed, that it feels a lot like someone has a bigger picture, but they could only do so much with the time they had and the plot points they needed to reach. They sacrificed some parts of the story to focus on feelings, like that is what they thought was the more important thing.

I understand that this is an anime original project, so such a thing's budget works mostly on what faith can be had in its creators or the idea of the project. Perhaps I am guessing too much, but something felt like someone had a lot of passion of this, more than I often feel for all the light novel adaptions. I do like the main cast, almost like there was some science there that if someone went to explain in detail I could find it very interesting. And some of those setting pieces where sci-fi aspects are added in to the more general fantasy stuff, I might often think that sometimes such things be thrown together without much consideration for cohesion, but it works here. Especially with things like the group ship transport, where something about it kind of makes me curious to check out things like reference art to get more of a focused look at it.

It is not to say that we don't occasionally get these surprising projects that feel like there is a lot of energy in to make some new anime epic. But to be completely honest often these projects have some level arrogance, that can feel to me like they are trying too hard, and use cheap tricks of things like nostalgia to pretend that it is more profound, while those little manipulations actually kind of annoy me. And yet, I oddly didn't feel that from this show, whether it actually succeeded with the little manipulations that could set me off, or maybe its not technically great parts just made it feel more humble that, it hit some sort of sweet spot that weirdly made this the most interesting show for me this season.

Not really how it works, but I would have easily given up half the shows I watched this season, if this show could have delivered what it actually wanted to do. With so many shows that at least to me come across as mediocre commercial adaptions of stories for other mediums, it can a little bit feel like resources are so thing that the interesting ideas miss out on attention they might have received at an earlier time.

For a rating, I am going with Very good (8/10), which is a don't miss it. Which I fully admit is with downsides of things like animation that could be really bad, such as that drumming and dancing thing I mentioned earlier where it was shamelessly repeated and even dimmed to give the illusion that it had become night. And also that problematic worldbuilding that could be disjointed, and I might extend to some of the groups not having the most expressed designs like the mountain people form that same arc. But it is almost like I see golden threads in what might look like a crudely stitched doll, that highlights something actually interesting. The sort of thing that I would easily rate really high marks if it could improve on those resources side.

I remember thinking during the show that it felt like someone had made a story that they wanted to be two cour, but could only secure one, so they were doing the best they could to make their ideas come through. Which perhaps in such a thing, it would be best to actually cut more, and have made it tighter.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:39 pm Reply with quote
If this is a 24 or so series, it could be interesting; I feel it's certainly paced and plotted as one. But if this is it then I can't, well, define it.

And it's not because of what happens to Kumi, it's what happens to Nyaa. In the span of three minutes, Nyaa's identity was being wiped out by the Evil Empire, combined into one and then altered... into being a new being.

What was going on wasn't explained, what she was wasn't explained and what she became wasn't explained. Kumi gets an "and the adventure continues for however long that is" ending and that's fine whether it continues or not but Nyaa gets turned into a plot device... while already being a different "plot coupon:" device for most of the story.

But I like the twist of Kumi powering up thanks to Jiro's help as it looks like how the paladin/cleric partnership was in the past; Protect the spellcaster until you're in the best position for mass spells, rather than hand to hand fighting to the point you NEED to power up for more powerful hand to hand fighting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2