• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Handyman Saitō in Another World (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:50 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 5

Huh. That was kind of a tone shift. No more light-hearted brief segments. I didn't dislike it but it was a little jarring. Interesting that both sides have claims on our sympathy. I'll be interested to see how this confrontation resolves.

Yeah, I felt the same way. It was kind of cool seeing everyone come together, but the show felt more like a traditional anime. I'm still all in, but I hope this isn't going to turn into a prolonged eight episode fight scene.

I'm not as emotionally conflicted as the show wants me to be considering the ninja and his friends are killing anyone and everyone on the possibility that they might. be competitors at some point in the future. He's finally found love (sob). I only hope he can massacre more people who might have lovers, friends, siblings, parents, or children who love them.

But I might still be suffering from post traumatic stress from season five of My Hero Academia.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:02 am Reply with quote
One of the things I was wondering about was whether those claims of the ninja and his buddies killing off adventurers was actually true or if some other group is doing it and they are getting the blame. My memory is shit so I'll ask: have we seen proof that they've been killing off adventurers?

That's kind of what I meant when I said I'll be interested in seeing how this situation resolves. Not the actual outcome since it seems pretty clear that Saito and Co. will prevail, but will it resolve in a way that is emotionally satisfying?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
One of the things I was wondering about was whether those claims of the ninja and his buddies killing off adventurers was actually true or if some other group is doing it and they are getting the blame. My memory is shit so I'll ask: have we seen proof that they've been killing off adventurers?

To date, I've only seen him kill one adventurer for sure, and it was prior to the dungeon opening. But he has been chanting to himself about how many people he's killed, and he shoved a sword through the king's advisor and cut the disguised demon king into pieces after they left the dungeon.

Later, it turned out that the king's advisor did some kind of soul transfer as he felt the sword go in. And the demon king is apparently regenerating after having his pieces jigsawed back together. But they seemed like pretty earnest assassination attempts to me.

As to how it resolves, I'm seriously glad you're interested in it. I like the show.

Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Arrgghhh! This show gets one more shot to not end on a total cliffhanger, and then I'm putting it on my don't-watch-until-the-end-of-the-season-so-I-can binge-it-all-at-once list along with My Hero Academia and Is It Okay To Pick Up Girls In a Dungeon.

Don't get me wrong, I loved this episode. It got dark again, but it was awesome. I just love/hate shows that have characters I'm really invested in but keep @%#&ing with them and prolonging any real sense of closure - even momentary ones - while keeping me hanging on the edge week after week. Still, it was awesome seeing all the different characters coming together and building some bonds, and that pillar of evil was a pretty awesome antagonist. Like a beholder gone exponential.

I'd still be fine with the ninja dying though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Well, it's like I said last time, it's not that I'm disliking this new serious direction things have taken, but I confess I am missing the light-hearted humour of episodes 1-4. I hope we eventually return to that tone but I'm not sure we will. In any case, we have a new mystery to ponder: why did Morlock summon Saito to this world? It would seem he did this after his memory had been wiped so logically speaking it shouldn't have anything to do with Morlock trying to turn back the hands of time to before his daughter died. I was hoping for a resolution to the conflict this time but it was not to be. Onward to next time!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, after all my whining...I mean...legitimate griping about cliffhangers last week, I'm officially satisfied by today's ending.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Me too! Although technically there's not really an ending as the witch has not been officially saved, yet. No doubt that's a mere technicality. And call me Little Sammy Sunshine but I have a suspicion that this will be accomplished without the ninja dying. Still very satisfying episode, imo.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:15 am Reply with quote
I just want to say that I appreciate Gibble in this show. We need more characters like this who can look really rough, but character wise are painted with a much softer brush. Maybe be slightly less of a joke, but his crush on Saitou is adorable, at least doesn't come across as predatory, and is a good inverse of the small girl big weapon archetype that his partner has.

I think it is a bit more interesting than Raelza being forced into compromising spots out of her armour. Now that I think about it, I have liked her whole wearing big armour character, because I think in my mind it reminded me of a particular woman in armour character, especially with the big pauldrons. Samus Aran.

I will also be playing a supporting fairy in a D&D one-shot this weekend, although she won't be like Lafanpan's personality.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Hey Dusky, I tried the first episode of that Immoral Guild thingy you were talking about . Thought it was a yawner, but at least the premise was original?

They wrapped up the Labyrinth arc so neatly that I started panicking because it kept seeming like a series finale.

Can't quite decide if this show is getting edgy or not. spoiler[When the king was about to "kill" the ninja and blood splattered the wall, I was sure it was just an arm. But then it turned into an arm and leg, which is pretty hard core. And the witch lost her memory to boot. And yet, their last scene was sweet, and the two demons cropping up again was almost hokey. ]

The end startled me too. But every time there has been a death of a character thus far, there's been a last minute turnaround. And I've wanted one, because this started out as a light hearted, humorous show and I liked it that way.

My money is on: spoiler[Morlock faked his death and he's gone to do something sketchy now that he's remembered his daughter.]

[/i]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Edjwald, I had the same thought as you put in your last spoiler tag... which must mean it's wrong. I kid, I kid!

I declare myself satisfied with the ninja-witch conclusion. My preferred ending would have been for her not have lost her memories, but when she saw her now whittled down paramour, it would have been awesome if she'd said, "Meh, not feeling it any more." But what they did is fine, too.

I certainly can't claim that this show is doing the expected...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:33 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Hey Dusky, I tried the first episode of that Immoral Guild thingy you were talking about . Thought it was a yawner, but at least the premise was original?

I wouldn't say it was a great show or something, but I do think that there is enough similarity to this show that I could be interested in comparing and contrasting them.

This show at least has a more diverse cast gender, and the characters look and act like adults. But I do actually think they both have some level of within a fantasy adventurer setting, of parodying aspects of Japanese work culture, while not the heaviest I have seen for, being from a different culture it can come across as weird.

This show is a lot less ecchi, but I did personally appreciate the succubus from a few episodes back, and I don't think that being horny makes something automatically bad. And actually I the anti-succubus was not as good as I might have liked.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:39 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
But I do actually think they both have some level of within a fantasy adventurer setting, of parodying aspects of Japanese work culture.

Sorry, didn't see this till today.

I think they both do this, but I also think they take pretty opposite approaches. Saito's work in the "real" world is portrayed as so bad that basilisks and golems and death traps seem like a step up. The fantasy world is his escape.

From what I saw of Immoral Guild, the joke is that even in a fantasy world, the people can't escape being overworked in a day to day grind. The MC is basically working for a pest control company and wants to quit his job and go to college.

DuskyPredator wrote:
the anti-succubus was not as good as I might have liked.

You mean Realza when she freaked out?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:05 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
the anti-succubus was not as good as I might have liked.

You mean Realza when she freaked out?

I am afraid that I might get too off topic, but pretty much that the succubus was just a monster to fight, not say a person like implied by the fairy characters. I can enjoy what can be brought by monster race people, especially with themes they might be connected to, and a succubus is intricately connected to sexuality. But all too often in these types of shows they can't do much more sex is dirty and deviant, and all sort of just goes into lust is a sin.

It is like even the shows meant to be mature, don't know what to do to make mature topics like sex, not be dirty or sinful, and either way not something a good aligned main character would willingly be involved in. I was thinking the same way when Realza had her armour broken, her character instantly went into embarrassed "don't look at me naked" mode, which kind of feels reductive when you have most good girl characters that way.

Not that I am going to say that I think Realza's character is all bad, in fact I really like her being the always wear heavy armour type character, where that armour is like a second skin. Specifically I quite liked that part where she was in that alternate armour, which she didn't think he would recognise her, and I might even call that armour somehow sexy without showing any skin. And I would love an alternate reading that her as always wearing heavy armour character, it could be her idea of being sexy.

I do think the show has a bunch of stuff I quite like, but some things are just a touch off from being great. Like that example of the mage guy that had a crush on Saitou, but it still being a joke that the show knows shouldn't be taken seriously, because of course Saitou wouldn't be interested in him.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:50 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
It is like even the shows meant to be mature, don't know what to do to make mature topics like sex, not be dirty or sinful, and either way not something a good aligned main character would willingly be involved in.

There's not a lot of middle ground in anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

The career of an anime episode summarizer can be an odd one. For example, in my discussion of this week's show, I have to mention that a key plot point is that a demon hunting dog, mourning the loss of its white Earth wolf mate, ate Morlock's wang while the wizard's corpse lay in a shed and this is causing the now resurrected (?) mage to veer between being fleshy and skeletal. Urgh. I really should of just let Edjwald handle this one.

Oh, and did I mention that Morlock has a huge wang? Mind you, he's self-reporting which with dudes can often be misleading but he claims a 30-cm (12-inch) war hammer. Saitou by contrast claims to be only half that and there is no reason to lie about something like that.

So there you go. You're welcome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3