• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Blood Bath

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
damn that is an adorable kitty

death note - Wonder how it will be till we see a box set

Blood Plus - might buy it if the series ends well
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
This
Quote:
At first, the series seemed to be centering itself on an interesting moral dilemma—is it okay to kill dangerous criminals if they were sentenced to die anyway? By the time viewers get through part of the second disc, though, it's pretty easy to tell that that's no longer really an issue. Light no longer cares about cleaning up the scum of the earth; by now he's much more interested in playing mind games with L and those around him.

is why I'm not really interested in collecting Death Note.
spoiler[If the series is concentrating more on the interplay between L and Light, what is the point of watching the rest after L dies besides seeing it through to the end (which I can look up)? Sure, they do give you Near but from all accounts he's a poor man's L.]

I do however like the artwork (I need to get me that artbook) and if I ever find the LEs for cheap, I might buy them for the figure and just sell the DVD. While I was going to buy the Blood+ box, I decided not to after learning about the DVDs having dubtitles only. If I ever find it for real cheap, I will get it despite the dubtitles. Anyone got a picture of the T-shirt?

All these Shelf Obsessed people have these nice, organized shelves. I should send in pictures of my collection shoved randomly into my POS, cheap TV stand that can't even hold it all and which is also broken. I'll even include a picture of my non-fluffy, non-adorable cat.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
i want a cat but i don't think my figure collection would survive...

very clean displays....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
everybody_loves_hypnotoad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
I've got to remember to get a guard cat too. Nice set up.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
This column will be on hiatus next week due to some gnarly grad school-circumstances, but I'll be back the week after that! Welcome to Shelf Life.
I think I speak for everyone when I say: NOOOOO!

Seriously, we will miss the review but we know you've got things to take care of. Knowing you, you'll ace any tests, type any papers and beat any pervy professors with ease.

Bamboo wrote:
Death Note is certainly worth following because of its quick pace and sharp writing, and its lack of a clear protagonist (and antagonist) definitely makes it intriguing. At the same time, I feel like the constant cat-and-mouse chase may get old after awhile, but once new characters are introduced, things may get shaken up a bit. For now, it's a captivating show that's worth watching at least once, just to see what all the fuss is about.
I'm watching Death Note as it airs on [adult swim] and I think the show has enough twists and turns that you'll remain quite hooked. At the same time, the dynamics change a lot as time goes on, so don't expect things to remain as they are.

The ambiguaty about who is right or wrong or even if there is a right or wrong in this series is interesting.

Bamboo wrote:
When I first got the box, I was daunted by the prospect of sitting through over 600 minutes of monster-busting, but I was surprised by how complex and involving the series was. Far removed from your typical see-it-shoot-it blood bath, it was a carefully scripted tale of fighting for your loved ones, and doing what you think is right. There was hardly a slow moment, and although the myriad of characters sometimes got a bit confusing, I could never wait to see what happened next.
I think this might be the first time I've seen a really positive comment about Blood+. Where most people seem to get hung up on how it's not Blood: The Last Vampire, you focused on what makes this series interesting in and of itself.

Thank you Bamboo for what I think was a very objective review of a series that too many people disregard.

I didn't read the sections on Suzuka and Mushi-shi. I'm behind on Suzuka and I still haven't bought Mushi-shi. Embarassed (I'm sorry to see Suzuka in perishable but, well, I can see why it's there even though I like it.)

Wow, nice set-up Mr. Rooney and I think that is a very pretty cat too! (I'm biased in favor of my own cats but she is adorable. And such a wonderful name too!)

I like the framed posters/art on the wall, especially the Misato. It's always nice to see anime as home decor.

*Edited to fix the quotes.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote
Ahhh- someone else who understands how much better anime art looks if you take the time to frame it!

I'll have to send in pics of my collection after my big storage re-vamp (ie, when you can see everything!) Although I have no idea where the Shaman King standee is gonna go...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote
Okay, so I'm a smidge excited about this, 'cause it means I can actually afford to get this series. It's #3 on my list of things I need to buy (after "Utena" and "GitS:SAC"). It ends well - really, really well. Can't say quite the same about the Death Note anime since they mess with the (in my not-so-humble opinion) perfect ending in the manga, but hey, the music, acting, and animation are all fantastic.

But back to Blood+! Companies take heed, this is how you should release anime. Show nearly all of it on Adult Swim before doing a release, and then provide an economic release at the outset and let die-hard fans buy special releases.

My only question is, I've heard this has dubtitles. True?
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Finally, a really positive review of Blood +! I'm one of those who prefer the series to the movie and I'm happy to see someone likes it as much as I do. I was really worried because a few months ago, some people were saying Sony wasn't going to release any DVDs in the US, so I went ahead and got the imports. But I plan to purchase these as soon as I'm able. Dubtitles, shlubtitles, who cares? I love dubs! Especially dubs with Crispin Freeman in them! Very Happy
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
I love dubs!

/shudder/

Dubs are wrong in principle, as anyone who's ever seen anything originally in English dubbed into another language will know. Although Crispin Freeman is good as Haji, from what I've seen of it on Adult Swim...

And yeah, the "movie" (if you can call something 45 minutes long a movie) had great animation, but no plot and character development.

But can someone seriously tell me, does it have dubtitles?
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the final comments. Is Blood: The Last Vampire a requirement of sorts in order to understand the content of Blood+? I'm thinking of picking up this Box Set so I'd like to know.

Thanks in Advance. Smile
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Full_Metal1923 wrote:
Regarding the final comments. Is Blood: The Last Vampire a requirement of sorts in order to understand the content of Blood+? I'm thinking of picking up this Box Set so I'd like to know.

Thanks in Advance. Smile

Nope. They only used ideas from it, it actually doesn't fit into the storyline of the series (no Haji, etc.).
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Dubs are wrong in principle, as anyone who's ever seen anything originally in English dubbed into another language will know.

Let's please not degenerate this into another 10-page long thread on sub vs dub, but say "To each his/her own" and leave it at that.

I've been liking Blood+ while watching it on Adult Swim. I'm thinking of getting it, but I can't really justify the $120 ($108 currently at RightStuf) retail price for a 25 episode box set. Does anyone think it's really worth it? You could easily buy 2-4 box sets of other shows at the same price. Or is this just an effect of Sony being the licensee?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
You could easily buy 2-4 box sets of other shows at the same price.

Ok, 2 series, maybe, but 4?? For a 25 episode series? Please let me know where you get your bargains!
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I think Death Note has a good dub.
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, not all the time. But if you shop around and wait for a sale, it's possible. $120/4 = $30 each. I didn't say they'd be particularly good or popular series. Maybe 3 is more realistic, but you get my point anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5