• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya Manga's Live-Action Knights of the Zodiac Film Screens in U.S. on May 12

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:29 pm Reply with quote
A week after Guardians 3. Good luck with that.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:37 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
A week after Guardians 3. Good luck with that.

This is either a rush to streaming to fulfill a mandatory theatrical window, or Sony thinks that James Gunn whiffed his MCU swan song and want to capitalize like how Cocaine Bear and Creed 3 kneecapped Quantumania after its reviews were bad.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Beat: There's one Marvel hopeful left for the year, and that's Across the Spider-Verse. (Unless The Marvels can turn things around, of course. )Though it still sounds like a rushed production. As for Quantumania, unfortunately, it didn't bomb, and might have benefited from the good publicity of Creed 3. Cocaine Bear probably would've been #1, though would have normally bombed. As for Saint Seiya, hope they can get the Jump faithful onboard, because it looks better than Dragon Ball Evolution.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:24 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Beat: There's one Marvel hopeful left for the year, and that's Across the Spider-Verse. (Unless The Marvels can turn things around, of course. )Though it still sounds like a rushed production. As for Quantumania, unfortunately, it didn't bomb, and might have benefited from the good publicity of Creed 3. Cocaine Bear probably would've been #1, though would have normally bombed. As for Saint Seiya, hope they can get the Jump faithful onboard, because it looks better than Dragon Ball Evolution.

I think any jump faithful should avoid this like the plague. It looks so soulless just from the trailers. Hoping it bombs. Saint Seiya should never have been translated to live action IMO.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:54 pm Reply with quote
The Guardians films are among the most successful of the Marvel films and unlike Quantumania its not being made by different people (Quantumania was made without any of the returning writers from the previous 2 Ant-Man films), being James Gunn's third and last installment with the characters.

So yeah it is a really hyped movie and releasing Saint Seiya after it is a really bad gamble.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

This is either a rush to streaming to fulfill a mandatory theatrical window, or Sony thinks that James Gunn whiffed his MCU swan song and want to capitalize like how Cocaine Bear and Creed 3 kneecapped Quantumania after its reviews were bad.

Was that really why it’s returns dropped?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Scion: If they advertise Saint Seiya properly here, then maybe the audience for Guardians 3 will trickle to the former.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:13 pm Reply with quote
While this is certainly a death sentence, it's not like Sony cares. They didn't pay for this movie. Realistically speaking, it wasn't going to do big business in the U.S. anyway. I'd be surprised if this gets a bigger push than those <$20 million horror movies they put out that are forgotten two weeks after release.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:27 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

Was that really why it’s returns dropped?

Poor word of mouth coupled with the dreaded superhero fatigue finally settling in several years after it was predicted (although I argue it's closer to "comic book universe fatigue" where people are overwhelmed by this expansive interconnected universe and are beginning to check out or at least wait for Disney+) and better than expected critical and audience reaction to the films I just mentioned were a big reason.

Quote:
While this is certainly a death sentence, it's not like Sony cares. They didn't pay for this movie. Realistically speaking, it wasn't going to do big business in the U.S. anyway. I'd be surprised if this gets a bigger push than those <$20 million horror movies they put out that are forgotten two weeks after release.

Also this. I think they want to rush through their mandatory theatrical window, then get it onto Netflix where if the reviews are good, it can pick up an audience there. If the reviews aren't good, they can bury it and leave it alone with minimal impact since they're only acting as a distributor and didn't do the legwork.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Best of luck to them.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Meh. Clearly this was made for international audiences anyway. Sony and Toei both have to be aware of how little hype this movie has in the US. Maybe it'll actually be decent (on its own merits; it's already clearly not a good adaptation of the manga), and develop something of a cult following on social media.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:20 am Reply with quote
This movie was destined to die in the US box office. America has never cared about Saint Seiya so they're just shoving it out to die. Can't really blame them for focusing on the international audience here.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:41 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Meh. Clearly this was made for international audiences anyway. Sony and Toei both have to be aware of how little hype this movie has in the US. Maybe it'll actually be decent (on its own merits; it's already clearly not a good adaptation of the manga), and develop something of a cult following on social media.

The movie has Sean Bean btw so I wonder if they actually have a nice budget. At least the best thing I look forward too is the handling of fight scenes as the original series simply had people yelling their attacks over and over
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:36 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Meh. Clearly this was made for international audiences anyway. Sony and Toei both have to be aware of how little hype this movie has in the US.

The fact that Latin America's getting this first should say as much who this is for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1