• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:20 pm Reply with quote
@Spastic Minnow

You apparently have a different set than I do. My Ryo-Ohki figure has a yawning mouth, oval in red. My set is nine figures, super deformed. They are about three inches though..

I noticed at the time that there was a dearth of good figures for the show.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

...whew, not currently. Boys Be seems to be completely OOP, so may grow in price... although I don't remember it as a classic (I may have even watched and have completely forgotten).
Boys Be has been "technically gone" for a long time now -- I remember asking Rightstuf/Nozomi for permission to screen it for a convention, only to be told that they no longer had the license. And this was back in 2015. It must've been a pretty poor seller, but the contracts must've allowed RSA to still sell existing stock for years after the license expired.

From RSA early in March:

A Certain Scientific Accelerator BD/DVD
Hand Shakers Essentials Blu-Ray
Heaven's Lost Property Final: Eternal My Master
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S

From Amazon:
Metropolis DVD

Hand Shakers has been a "So Bad it's Somewhat Good" anime for me, between its strange mix of fanservice and dizzying-nonsense visuals. I'm trying to chip away at collecting the later Index/Railgun titles, but I fear it's a risky gamble to wait for cheaper collections of Index III and Railgun T. Metropolis replaces an old copied DVD I made back in 2005 -- not an .avi/.mkv-type DVD-rip, but an actual recompressed copy of the .iso burned to DVD.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Won an eBay lot on auction- will probably resell most. at $57 it's a good deal for the lot as resale fodder or personal buys, as long as the discs are good. The seller listed as "Good" which may have just been a conservative and truthful estimate- but probably killed the auction. eBay buyers sometimes read "Good" as "Bad" and don't want them.

Kimagure Orange Road(Blu Ray) [I'll at least try- I know its rep]
Cowboy Bebop(DVD) [own it, of course, this version- may eventually seed a lot of my own to sell]
Flowers of Evil(Blu Ray) [the show got too uncomfortable for me, doubt I'll give it another chance]
Josee, the Tiger and the Fish(Blu Ray) [keeper, probably]
Metropolis/Memories(DVD) [I have copies of both- will have to decide which to keep and which to put in a sale lot.]
Death Parade(DVD) [not sure why I didn't finish this, not sure I need to own it]
Robotech Part 1(Blu Ray) [I recently found a DVD set of the same, previous master- may need to compare... nostalgia says I need to watch it again... but may just sit on my shelf forever]
Princess Mononoke(Blu Ray) [I think this is the basic Disney release, I may have 2 copies already]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:39 pm Reply with quote
@Spastic Minnow

Did you get both Blu-ray sets of Kimagure Orange Road? The first set is the TV series and the second is the OVAs and 1st movie. I strongly recommend the series. I think it has aged well.

When I first got into anime, one of the things I did was comb the internet for anime related images I could use for computer wall paper. I kept running into art work from the series This got me interested in the series and when I went to the AnimEigo web site to buy something else. I found they had been running a sort of early kickstarter type campaign and were now shipping the first half of the TV series on VHS (12 tapes). I e-mailed the site asking if I could get one. I got a response direct from Robert Woodhead which said that if I called the company secretary and begged that she might find a copy for me. I called and got the set. When I mentioned the bit about begging, she was not amused. I later bought the second half the series, and later the DVD version and the eventual Blu-ray version. All money well spent.

When you watch it, you should access AnimEigo's liner notes. They will make the series more enjoyable. http://archive.animeigo.com/liner/out-of-print.html

When I got into the TV series, I decided I wanted to read the manga it was based on. Boy was that a trip. I first found that it had not been licensed for printing in English. However, I found a very complete text translation of the whole series on line. It went panel by panel, described the graphic and provided the Romangi version, the raw English version and the polished English version. This made it clear to me just how much of an art Japanese to English translation was. By coincidence, Previews comic catalog was offering the hardback version in the original Japanese, one volume a month. I bought that and commenced reading the manga. That was not fun. I had the English version printed in booklet form from the text version and had to hold that in one hand while I held the Japanese version in the other. The booklets I made read left to right and the Japanese hardbacks read right to left. Not a fun way to read a manga. Eventually I was able to obtain a legal digital version from go Manga and then Digital Manga Publishing ran a Kickstarter for the print version. That took years to fulfill and was one of the last gasps of the company.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing that, Alan45 - that's hilarious! I'm trying to imagine how into a manga I'd have to be to replicate your Japanese copy - English booklet method...
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:00 pm Reply with quote
My Kickstarter Blu-ray edition of Oban Star-Racers arrived last night. It's a nice package and it's prompted me to list my 2022 anime purchases.

It's in the same format as my 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 lists.

DVDs/BDs (BD if not stated; where I've indicated BD it's an upgrade from DVD)
The Ancient Magus' Bride - TV and OAV
Aria the Origination / Aria the OVA ~Arietta~ / Aria the Avvenire (BD)
Belle
Cardcaptor Sakura Parts 1 & 2
Cutie Honey Universe
Dear Brother
Detatoki Princess (DVD)
Devil Hunter Yohko (DVD)
Ergo Proxy
Future Boy Conan
Gakuen Alice
Galaxy Angel (DVD)
Gestalt
The Girl form the Other Side
Grenadier
Gunslinger Girl (BD)
.hack//Legend of the Twilight (DVD)
.hack//Roots (DVD)
Ikki Tousen (DVD)
Jungle De Ikou (DVD)
K-ON! Collection
Kiramaki Project (DVD)
Kurogane Communication (DVD)
Kyousougiga
Maria Watches Over Us Complete Collection
My Neighbour Totoro (BD)
Moeyo Ken TV (DVD)
Neon Genesis Evangelion Complete Series
Noein - to your other self
Outlaw Star
Patlabor WXIII
Princess Principal: Crown Handler Chapter 1
The Professional
Ramen Fighter Miki (DVD)
Ray (DVD)
Record of Lodoss War & Chronical of the Heroic Knight
Robot Carnival (BD)
Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne
Sailor Moon Stars
Super Cub
Tekkaman Blade II
Wandering Witch - The Journey of Elaina
Wonder Egg Priority
Yona of the Dawn
Yurikuma Arashi (BD)

Manga
Aria the Masterpiece 1
Aria the Masterpiece 2
Aria the Masterpiece 3
Aria the Masterpiece 4
Aria the Masterpiece 5
Aria the Masterpiece 6
Aria the Masterpiece 7
Battle Angel Alita Hardcover volume 5

Streaming Subscription
Crunchyroll

Cinema Screenings
Blue Thermal

Figurines
Holo

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:37 pm Reply with quote
That's a great figurine and an impressive anime list, Errinundra. But how did a sophisto like you end up with Ikki Tousen??? Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but unlike you I'm a hopeless reprobate!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:39 pm Reply with quote
It was cheap.

22222 posts, Blood-. Cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:52 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
He also bought Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne. So Ikki Tousen is not that far out.

@Errinundra

Cool Holo figurine
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I've now watched both. Ikki Tousen isn't my my kind of sexy, but I enjoyed Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne enormously. Being the hypocrite I am, I need some veneer of sophistication along with the fanservice.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:37 pm Reply with quote
@Errinundra

I wouldn't call it hypocrisy, liking one sexy show no more means that you have to like them all than liking one isekai show would mean liking them all. It is simply a matter of taste. I own and have watched the first Ikki Tousen and Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne. I agree with you that Rin is superior. I watched it long time ago and the outcome of the fight on the airplane I still find a bit haunting. Ikki Tousen did have its moments independent of the fanservice though.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Purchased my tickets for 2 upcoming movies:

1) Super Mario Bros. Movie, tomorrow at 11:30AM ET at my local Cinemark

2) Suzume (subbed), Saturday, April 15 at 12:30PM ET at a Regal Cinema about a half-hour away (my preferred local Cinemark isn't screening it, unfortunately)

I, for one, am glad that movie theaters switched to seating where you can pick your seat ahead of time (like at an arena/stadium) versus just walking up and hoping a good seat is still available when you get there. That's why I buy movie tickets in advance instead of just buying in person when I get there.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Thunderbolt: Bandit Flower Blu-ray
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:02 pm Reply with quote
My dad sent me a bit of money for my birthday next week. >w<
Decided to spend it and picked up Missions of Love Vols. 7-8 and Fairy Tail Vols. 60-62 from BetterWorldBooks off of eBay. The Fairy Tail volumes finally completes that series for me (still need to collect the sequel, though). Missions of Love completes the baby gap I have in my collection, although I still need to collect the rest of the series past Vol. 9. That's my goal for the year to hopefully complete that series at last. My husband and I are talking about going to a couple of Half Price Books next weekend, so I'll be hunting those down if I can (and then some; I have a few other series I need to either complete or fill in gaps to complete).
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Kite BD, before the prices get certifiable

Also, all I need for a Luigi costume. Because I’ve always meant to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1388 of 1400