• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - A Digital Safe Haven in My Love Story with Yamada-kun

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The series has already teased at some sort of traumatic backstory that affected his ability to interact with women.

That's a bit disappointing, I prefer story that stay grounded, most people don't have traumatic backstory, they're just kinda bad at interacting with people because they haven;t done much of it. Giving him some sort dark background, they just make him less human, although it could be interesting if it turned out to be a whole bunch of nothing.

It's interesting there's been more slice-of-life/romcom show about people meeting in mmo just has the genre is dying out and the online community is moving on to other online game. Maybe its different in japan, but nowaday people don't really use mmo as chatroom, they'll just use chatroom/discord directly, usually in some sort of loose gaming community/guild that bounce between multiple games. I'm guessing these show are more targeted at older audience with some nostalgia, hence why they tend to feature adult.
Mononyan

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:59 pm Reply with quote
This was my most anticipated show this season and has turned out better than I expected. I like the idea of people connecting through gaming while the story mainly focuses on the slice of life aspect rather than the game itself. Akane is also an adorable mess of a person

I never did this myself (too shy/insecure and suck at playing games), but always admired the experience. It's probably in part why I wrote a story about something similar.

It's hard to tell how far the romance will progress by the end, but I look forward to seeing what happens every week!
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:22 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
That's a bit disappointing, I prefer story that stay grounded, most people don't have traumatic backstory, they're just kinda bad at interacting with people because they haven;t done much of it. Giving him some sort dark background, they just make him less human, although it could be interesting if it turned out to be a whole bunch of nothing.

An event doesn't have to be overly complicated or drama-filled to be trauma. Kids get bullied, friends break up over dumb things, parents disapprove of their kids' choices, all these happen all the time. Just because they're common occurrences doesn't mean they don't hurt.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
meiam wrote:

An event doesn't have to be overly complicated or drama-filled to be trauma. Kids get bullied, friends break up over dumb things, parents disapprove of their kids' choices, all these happen all the time. Just because they're common occurrences doesn't mean they don't hurt.

This, absolutely. They remember too. I remember once I tried to broach the subject with my parents that I was having some social issues and my mom told me I wasn't at school to socialize but to study and I literally have never talked with my parents about my social life struggles again. And I'm 37 now! It doesn't have to be hugely dramatic but if it was notable enough it can stick with you for the rest of your life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1