• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - A Tale of Two Showcases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChimeyChime

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Not too pleased that there was barely any gameplay shown at all. Not much to get excited about, tbh.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:04 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
I really need Final Fantasy XVI. Everything about sounds really good. With Yoshida saying that many of the game's staff are from XII/Tactics has me hopeful and excited.

Yeah, FFXVI's staff is not just some best talent at SE but the best in the industry. Even if its not going to be everyone cup of tea is there no way not going to be quality game. The previews have only strengthen that impression for me.
Zoltan Kakler

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Everything about FFXVI has sounded great to me. The only issue I find is their reasoning for being an action game and saying they wanted to be different from turn-based when the last turn-based Final Fantasy was ages ago. XV, VII Remake, and Strangers in Paradise already did the action thing before them. I suppose it depends when production started, but acting like action combat is a new thing to the series and not the new norm is pretty weird to say. But story and character wise it looks good. The previews so far have been great.

Were people really clamoring for a multiplayer farming sim? Never sounded appealing to me. Unless it was done like Minecraft where people can build their own cities and farms and stuff, but even Stardew's Multiplayer was just friends comes into your game and can help you water your plants and are your workers rather than their own people rather than them actually living and building their own farm with you.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:47 am Reply with quote
I've already posted comments on the individual articles, but I honestly really hope Rune Factory 6 and the spinoff do well. The bad reception to RF5 made me worried that the series would be killed off right after it came back from the dead, but I guess Marvelous has faith in it. I really hope the next Story of Seasons is better too, they haven't been doing well competing against Stardew and Olive Town was straight up awful.

Zoltan Kakler wrote:
Were people really clamoring for a multiplayer farming sim? Never sounded appealing to me. Unless it was done like Minecraft where people can build their own cities and farms and stuff, but even Stardew's Multiplayer was just friends comes into your game and can help you water your plants and are your workers rather than their own people rather than them actually living and building their own farm with you.

That's not true at all? In Stardew every player can do pretty much everything. They don't just help out, everyone can have relationships (even with each other) and build the farm together. It's not just being workers for one main person.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 2:28 am Reply with quote
Zoltan Kakler wrote:

People have wanted co-op in farming sims for a while. Even now, people are still waiting for Stardew Valley's co-op mode to be implemented. It's a great idea, especially since a lot of the people who play Story of Seasons are old enough to have kids and might want to share it with them.
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:54 am Reply with quote
I've always wanted a Rune Factory game set in the Japan-themed part of the world that was teased in every other game, so this is wonderful news. The protagonists both look great, and I'm intrigued by how it looks like they'll both be involved in the story (on opposing sides of a conflict, it seems).
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I can't blame Jean-Karlo for forgetting, because it hasn't exactly been a concerted media campaign, but we've been hearing about Granblue Fantasy: Relink on and off for years now. I wonder if any of what we saw in that original vertical slice from when Platinum Games was involved will make it into the final release version. The way things have played out since then kind of makes me suspect they restarted development completely, but maybe some design or tech survives.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:57 pm Reply with quote
AQuin1904 wrote:
I can't blame Jean-Karlo for forgetting, because it hasn't exactly been a concerted media campaign, but we've been hearing about Granblue Fantasy: Relink on and off for years now. I wonder if any of what we saw in that original vertical slice from when Platinum Games was involved will make it into the final release version. The way things have played out since then kind of makes me suspect they restarted development completely, but maybe some design or tech survives.

Yeah, I hadn't known about that. You can chalk that up as another mark against Sony's showcase. Nintendo's directs also shotgun a ton of trailers, but their voice-over also gives a lot of context to games explaining their features or the importance of the franchise. Sony had a host in the form of their President and loved tossing their branding all over, and did jack-all otherwise.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 11:19 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
AQuin1904 wrote:

Yeah, I hadn't known about that. You can chalk that up as another mark against Sony's showcase. Nintendo's directs also shotgun a ton of trailers, but their voice-over also gives a lot of context to games explaining their features or the importance of the franchise. Sony had a host in the form of their President and loved tossing their branding all over, and did jack-all otherwise.

Yeah. And like I said, Relink hasn't exactly gotten a media blitz. It had a big debut trailer with Platinum attached in 2019, then Platinum's name quietly vanished from all materials (iirc, they said that they'd done their job and all was well, but it still seemed weird). Then it was basically radio silence until a second trailer in January 2023, which looked more or less identical to what we just saw at the Sony thing.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:01 am Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
People have wanted co-op in farming sims for a while. Even now, people are still waiting for Stardew Valley's co-op mode to be implemented. It's a great idea, especially since a lot of the people who play Story of Seasons are old enough to have kids and might want to share it with them.

I'm slightly confused about this statement, since Stardew Valley already has co-op, and has had so since September 2019. I've tried it myself. It works wonderfully, except for making the dungeon delving a bit wonky in regard to some enemies, particularly the fast moving ones.
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:15 am Reply with quote
AQuin1904 wrote:
It had a big debut trailer with Platinum attached in 2019, then Platinum's name quietly vanished from all materials (iirc, they said that they'd done their job and all was well, but it still seemed weird). Then it was basically radio silence until a second trailer in January 2023, which looked more or less identical to what we just saw at the Sony thing.

I don't think it's fair to say they went "radio silent." Keeping it to major/notable stuff after the announcement (August 2016):
-Gameplay in December 2017.
-Gameplay in December 2018.
-Platinum "no longer involved" as of February 2019.
-New trailer and gameplay in December 2019.
-New gameplay in December 2020. PS5 version and 2022 release window announced.
-New trailer in December 2021. Steam version announced.
-Delayed to 2023 in June. The game seems to be content complete at this point.
-A new trailer (I assume it's called the "second" trailer because someone in marketing has a sick sense of humor) and gameplay in January 2023. (In case the video link isn't working right, gameplay starts at the 7 hour 13 minute mark)

So Cygames has shown the game off in some form once a year almost every year since announcement, which is more than some games with a long time between announcement and release get.
saihamaru

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
so don't expect any more exotic characters than Vaserga or Zeta

video thumbnail is Zeta

Quote:
I don't expect them to add Fediel, Khumbira, or Danua, but it'll be weird if they don't add any more popular side characters like Sturm and Drang, Ferry, or Narmaya.

Narmaya literally already have her teaser trailer back in January

maybe do your research first before writing?
Redlinks

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:37 am Reply with quote
Excited for the SOS announcement! I hope it'll be a remaster of Magical Melody.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 11:16 am Reply with quote
I'm having trouble taking the explanations for a digital-only Alan Wake without some skepticism. Companies have spent years trying to push customers into the all-digital future where they have more control and reduced costs. I think they looked at the indie landscape where digital-only is expected and decided, "Why not us?" I doubt the lower price will catch on with other companies that release bigger games digitally. They've had years and years to charge less to encourage customers to buy digitally, but chose to charge the same price.

Metal Gear Delta is something that really makes me wary. Like the article says, Metal Gear is very much a Kojima series. Probably the safest way to maintain that is to retain as much of that narrative as possible and just focusing on modernizing the gameplay. It also makes me a bit skeptical that they are remaking MGS3 and not MGS1. Yes, it's chronologically the first entry so people won't be completely lost, but there are various aspects of it that are only impactful if you played the prior games, not to mention the way it re contextualizes those events. It makes me worried that Konami doesn't care about any of that. Considering how things ended between Konami and Kojima, I could believe going out of order was something of a deliberate choice to show they weren't going to stuck on what Kojima did.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:14 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
AQuin1904 wrote:
It had a big debut trailer with Platinum attached in 2019, then Platinum's name quietly vanished from all materials (iirc, they said that they'd done their job and all was well, but it still seemed weird). Then it was basically radio silence until a second trailer in January 2023, which looked more or less identical to what we just saw at the Sony thing.

I don't think it's fair to say they went "radio silent." Keeping it to major/notable stuff after the announcement (August 2016):
-Gameplay in December 2017.
-Gameplay in December 2018.
-Platinum "no longer involved" as of February 2019.
-New trailer and gameplay in December 2019.
-New gameplay in December 2020. PS5 version and 2022 release window announced.
-New trailer in December 2021. Steam version announced.
-Delayed to 2023 in June. The game seems to be content complete at this point.
-A new trailer (I assume it's called the "second" trailer because someone in marketing has a sick sense of humor) and gameplay in January 2023. (In case the video link isn't working right, gameplay starts at the 7 hour 13 minute mark)

So Cygames has shown the game off in some form once a year almost every year since announcement, which is more than some games with a long time between announcement and release get.

Thanks! Guess there was a lot more than I remembered/heard about. I also apparently forgot just how long this game has been in development, although I know I watched the stream with the first gameplay reveal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3