• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Russian Protestant Leaders Call for Ban on Ikki Tousen

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hurricanefransee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
same as every where a small % of the population trys to control what the rest of us do and watch. i say if they have a problem with the channel theres a big red shiny button on there remotes called that power button and they should use of it.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Thing is, is would anything of value be lost with Ikki Tousen geting the kick?
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, complaints-everyone's-heard-before man!

Sorry. Cliche responses to news articles get my goat, even when they're cliche because their true. I've heard this crap before, often shouted at the top of someone's lungs. It's a boring arguement. Can't we come up with something with more variety?

Anyway, what really amused me was this:

Quote:
Representatives of 2x2 responded by saying that since Russia is a secular country, any attempt to regulate television broadcasting should be initiated by the government, not a religious organization.

In other words, a twist on that other cliche and pedantic argument, "Censorship comes from the GOVERNMENT, not other organizations." Anime smile But this is post-communist Russia we're talking about. Better the devil you DO know...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Eiken will get licensed in Russia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zebbox

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
will season 2 still coming out in USA Sad ?
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
In Soviet Russia, anime bans morons! Anime catgrin
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.

The Christian history of Russia is quite different from other parts of Europe. Protestants are a minority religion (as stated in the end of the article) as well as a relatively new religion. I doubt they have the clout to put enough pressure on the government to make them actually do something about it. The government has bigger fish to fry (or supress... depending on how you view Russia right now). It's almost opposite to the United States, where popular conservative religious groups have been able to make an impression on the government and the media for better or for worse.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Had the orthodox church complained, I'd say Ikkitousen would be toast... but some leaders from some protestant churches... They are likely to have their sound bites in nespapers.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Terrestrial_Cel wrote:
Hmm.

The Christian history of Russia is quite different from other parts of Europe. Protestants are a minority religion (as stated in the end of the article) as well as a relatively new religion. I doubt they have the clout to put enough pressure on the government to make them actually do something about it. The government has bigger fish to fry (or supress... depending on how you view Russia right now). It's almost opposite to the United States, where popular conservative religious groups have been able to make an impression on the government and the media for better or for worse.

Well as far as Russia goes, there was that whole purging thing during Soviet control.
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, seriously, a Protestant group in Russia complaining about anime? They must levy about the same amount of power as Wiccans in the US o_O.

Well, if they're accusing Ikki Tousen of being indecent, there are probably plenty of non-religious folk in Russia who would think the same. It's if the government started thinking about it, I suppose there'd be trouble.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Banning Ikki Tousen? Sounds like a great idea, that show is only watchable due to the massive "brains" every character has the consistent fanservice. As my friend said it when I said if it was worth watching, "it's like hammering yourself in the nuts a few times."
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Take note of this, but Ikki Tosen isn't the only thing they are trying to ban, as stated in the article. I can understand where they're coming from, given the content of Ikki Tosen. They might have a bit more influence over there in Russia, you have to remember that this isn't the US. This is the former Soviet Union where certain things were restricted. I'm sure there are plenty of church leaders over here wanting shows banned over here, but money comes first.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Sealab is of little meaning to me and if I had the choice, I would give up South Park to be rid of Ikki Tousen.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
It is interesting to hear this sort of thing happening in Russia. This is something that I would have expected the American far-right to seize on.

And though Russia is technically secular, I have never thought of it as very democratic - especially now.

In a democratic society, censorship should not come from the Government, but from an independent standards board.

But having said that, Ikki Tousen is an affront to women. I have no sympathy for it. However, that does not mean that it should be taken off air, just because some vocal religious leaders wanted a soundbite. It sounds like 2x2 did everything right.

Let us hope that the central government is too busy installing a dodgy regime to notice something this trivial.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes. It's sometimes easy to forget that North America does not have exclusivity on crazy religious idiots. Luckily we've got incidents like this to remind us.

Conan-san wrote:
Thing is, is would anything of value be lost with Ikki Tousen geting the kick?

Censoring anything can lead down a slippery slope. If they can get rid of this because they disapprove of it's content, they can also potentially get rid of something of value for the same reason. This is why freedom of expression must be protected even in the case of arguably the worst anime ever created.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2