• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Bandai Entertainment Respond on Crunchyroll

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I take it this means we're on Funimation's side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Only Funimation? O.o Wahhhh..

*sighs* Someone really needs to rally other companies together. CR definitely has to go down. Anime hyper The whole "taken down stuff once given word" deal isn't going to cut it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, considering Crunchyroll distributes content illegally AND CHARGES FOR IT Shocked I'd have to say that Funimation is right.
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Good. Time to get everyone else on the bandwagon as well.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Avacado Burger wrote:
Good. Time to get everyone else on the bandwagon as well.

did you miss the part where they said they have been monitoring them for two years?

Viz on the other hand, is gonna have a fit.
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I just hope this gets the rest of the R1 industry motivated to do something (if they haven't already!)
Oronae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Legal action isn't going to work here. The common consensus seems to be that the industry can barely afford to keep going as is.They can't afford a protracted legal battle. Crunchyroll can.

The best thing to do would probably be to get the individual japanese companies to send in DMCA takedown requests. Crunchyroll responds to DMCA takedown requests so if they're DMCAed for all of their content they're dead in the water. Problem is, the Japanese companies on the whole simply don't care what happens outside their borders. If the entire American industry colapses they could care less. There are, of course, exceptions but only two companies have actually ever done anything about the fansubbing issue (GONZO, and Media Factory).

Until someone manages to convince the Japanese companies at large that the American market is in danger and that that actually should matter to them, they aren't going to do anything.

EDIT: I'll admit there has been increased interest in the American market from some Japanese companies like Kadokawa and Bandai Visual doing direct releases over here but nonetheless the industry as a whole doesn't really seem interested.
loka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
yeah, i feel bad for the companies in both countries. but it's difficult to feel THAT bad when they've let this kind of thing run rampant for so long. if the japanese are seriously not TRYING to send shutdown requests, how much sympathy should we have.

i always thought of it as them 'repackaging' content for the US rather than 'producing new' content. perhaps they are talking about dubs, in which case i find it hard to believe most people care about that new 'content'.
cenorig

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Good. I despise sites like these.
calawain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Press release says a whole lot of nothing, but at least they claim that they are at least sending out DMCA notices. But that does require a lot of vigilance and time invested as people just upload more stuff. And suing them would accomplish nothing.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
It'd be fun if everyone who really dislikes what CrunchyRoll's doing registered and complained about it at their forums En Masse. A few hundred pissed off anime fans is always fun. Mind you, that might not end well..

But yeah, this sucks.
Anyone supporting CrunchyRoll also sucks- tell your friends to boycott them. I have.
mithrandiryod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I personally have never seen a reason to ever use CR. The fact that these sites exist only draw more attention to fansubbers in general that "traditionally" are not for profit. Though I can't help but wonder, if they successfully shut CR down, how easy would it be to shut down subbers? Despite a mobile shadow entity that pops up, and moves on under different names, most of the major groups targeted would either.

A) Close shop for good (Yeah right!)
B) Form a new group underground, and when they are shut again, form another like a roving entity, never exposing their identities and going completely underground (from using different IP's with which to do their work and distribute via a blind medium.)
C) Give the middle finger to the industry and keep going.

If I had to guess, I'd say B is not too far from reality, and that unless they close the gap themselves, it will only get worse.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation and other license holders should be able to appeal to the government for the protection of their business interests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
mithrandiryod wrote:
I personally have never seen a reason to ever use CR. The fact that these sites exist only draw more attention to fansubbers in general that "traditionally" are not for profit. Though I can't help but wonder, if they successfully shut CR down, how easy would it be to shut down subbers?

Fansubbers still have IRC. And that's way too much for the weaboos to handle. Plus; it's way too community-based.

That's one of the main reasons I always get the few raws and pay for the shows I actaully like when they get R1ed.

Yes. We need more than one company to publically denounce Crunchyroll. If not; then they're inadvertantly saying "GO RIGHT AHEAD AND RUIN THE INDUSTRY FOR EVERYBODY."
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
A very frustrating statement indeed:

Quote:
Funimation has been carefully monitoring the activities of crunchyroll.com for some time.

And yet in a picture-perfect "O RLY?" moment, I was able to start playing Negima, xxxHOLiC, and Love and Honor within moments of reading this. At least the two anime had this handy notation on their pages:
cruncyroll.com wrote:
Licensed by FUNimation
PleaseRemove

Knowing is half the battle, I guess. Thanks crunchyroll!

Quote:
Since 2006 Funimation has provided several letters notifying the site's operators of copyright infringement issues in connection with content that has been made available through this site.

I have to admit that I'm curious as to how many times it makes sense to ask nicely before you just say "f*** it, these guys aren't going to stop" and contact the FBI.

Quote:
To date, crunchyroll.com has complied with FUNimation's demands to remove the applicable content.

O RLY?

Quote:
The battle against unauthorized distribution of anime is a battle that Funimation cannot fight on its own.

True. The number for the Fort Worth Resident Agency of the FBI is 817-989-8259. The FBI Dallas Field office is 972-559-5000.

Quote:
Without proactive and effective copyright policing and enforcement by those that control anime content, sites like this will continue to gain a reputation as outlets for free anime.

Sending DMCA takedown notices to a company actively working from an attitude that consent to their distribution of this "windfall content" is implied until such time as they receive such a notice is neither proactive nor effective. There might be a Whac-a-Mole game over at Dave & Buster's that could prove more fulfilling.

Quote:
If this happens, the entire anime industry will suffer, making the expensive and time consuming work of producing anime content for the U.S. market impossible.

As we've stated before, we will continue to act in the best interests of our Japanese licensors — and that includes ensuring that our industry as a whole has a commercial future in the U.S.

Well, as long as the situation is being carefully monitored... OK!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11