• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
.hack//Roots (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
So you haven't seen all of it yet then? Prepare to be disappointed unless you do play the games that is. I don't so the anime left an extremely bitter taste in my mouth. The anime is more of supliment to them rather than an adaptation.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
The story doesn't become fully unraveled until episode 26 spoiler[Ovan was the one carrying out the slayings and Azure Kite (aka Tri-Edge) was following him from scene to scene in order to stop/kill Ovan.]and even then a little research has to be done in order to understand what's going on.

Anyhow, with a COMPLETE understanding of root, I must say that it is a solid series. It leaves me craving for more of mystery that intrigues me about the .hack series. I might pick up the games in the near future just for the sake of discovering what happens in the story.

Never thought I'd quote myself to make a point clear. I have watched the entire series.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Incidentally the Cartoon Network broadcast ended at 21 so it wasn't like the dub discussion could have taken it anywhere either. Go figure.

Anyway, I finally got to see the last batch of episodes when the Vol. 6 was finally released recently. I really had no idea how much of the anime took place during G.U., I had always thought the anime ended right where the game began, but there's actually quite a few episodes of overlap. Unfortunately some of the things that happened in the anime didn't happen as it does in the game spoiler[like Tabby running around in the game period, Bordeaux's AIDA, and the late creation of the Medic Union.] Still, it's a lot of fun, my only real complaint is the inconsistent English voice acting between the show and game.

Now just waiting for the OAV!

Kruszer wrote:
I don't so the anime left an extremely bitter taste in my mouth. The anime is more of supliment to them rather than an adaptation.

Not sure what you were expecting. None of the .hack anime are made to retell the stories of the game (with the exception of the upcoming OAV which has taken several liberties), they're intended to be new stories based on that generation of the game.

//Sign takes place well before the events of the first four games.
//Intermezzo is a side story based on Mimiru's past.
//Liminality takes place in the real world during the game events.
//Unison ties the game and //Sign characters together in a special event
//Gift doesn't really count as part of the story, it's just for fun.
//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet is a sequel to //Sign and the games with mostly new characters.
//Roots is a prequel to G.U.
//G.U. Returner is the same idea as //Unison
//G.U. Trilogy is the only series that retells the story of the games.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I was refering to fact that SIGN, Liminality, LotTB, Unison, Gift, etc. all managed to be self contained stories that started and ended despite having game tie-ins, whereas Roots starts something but requires you to pick up the games in order to see how it ends. You can watch all the others individually (except for Intermezo, Gift, and Unison but all you really need is to have seen SIGN for those) without having played the games but the same can't be said for Roots. The Returner OVA helps explain some things though. For the record I don't own a PS-anything and the last console system I bought was an N64. What little gaming I do is on the PC now.

Kirkdawg wrote:
Never thought I'd quote myself to make a point clear. I have watched the entire series.

Okay then you confused me with this line

Quote:
I understand this thread is old, but like I said-wasn't quite satisfied with the "and then episode 20 left me....can't wait for 21-26.

Last edited by Kruszer on Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
My mistake, but what I was referring to was the last post on this thread (before my level 25 resurrection) was about episode 19 (not 20 sorry). I found this to be odd because I had the biggest reaction out of 26's revelation; I also understand your frustration with Roots unsatisfying experience. Unless you do a significant amount of research, a lot of questions are still left open.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
While at the very least I know from watching .hack//GU: Returner that spoiler[poor Shino is alright and some of the basics of what was going on behind the scenes] So I've pretty much made my peace with it and don't really hate it like I used to. Smile
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
This may be slightly OT, but I'll ask it anyhow.

For those of you who've played the .hack//GU games-is the gameplay any fun? Does it still manage to tickle your inner gamer while intriguing you with the story?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
For those of you who've played the .hack//GU games-is the gameplay any fun? Does it still manage to tickle your inner gamer while intriguing you with the story?

For me, the gameplay was better than the first game series, but the story lacked something. I just wasn't that interested. As a whole, I'm not as interested in the G.U. universe in comparison to the first one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
For the record I don't own a PS-anything and the last console system I bought was an N64. What little gaming I do is on the PC now.

Alrighty, I thought you meant you expected Roots to be a retelling of the game in its entirety. But I can see expecting some form of closure from the anime. I guess you'll be looking forward to //G.U. Trilogy then.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
For me, the gameplay was better than the first game series, but the story lacked something. I just wasn't that interested. As a whole, I'm not as interested in the G.U. universe in comparison to the first one.

Maybe it was the steampunk setting? I know for me I really enjoyed the fantasy setting of the World R:1, it was a great contrast with the real world. The World R:2 has that dark steampunk setting that's a bit too industrial for my taste (though I thoroughly enjoyed the game and story).

Emerje
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
I actually love steampunk (Last Exile <3), but I think like you said it's such a drastic change that I didn't feel like it belonged in the .hack universe, which felt more medieval than Industrial Revolution to me. That, and I think the characters were a bit overdone, like no one had learned anything from the previous events of "The World."
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
That, and I think the characters were a bit overdone, like no one had learned anything from the previous events of "The World."

A lot of time had passed between games, there were a lot of new players. Plus a lot of those events were covered up by CC Corp and disregarded as urban legends by players.

I think another issue with the story is that it doesn't have something like the Epitaph of Twilight to fall back on. Where the first World was built on the Epitaph, the second World was built on the first world so it didn't really connect with the Epitaph (I think it was mentioned only a hand full of times throughout all of .hack Conglomerate) and didn't have anything as interesting to fall back on. Still enjoyed it, but there certainly was something missing.

Emerje
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Alrighty, I thought you meant you expected Roots to be a retelling of the game in its entirety. But I can see expecting some form of closure from the anime. I guess you'll be looking forward to //G.U. Trilogy then.

Also contributing to my dislike for it was the fact it spent way too much time on useless characters that never did anything to futher the story like the two merchants or Tabby's two tag-a-long newbs for instance. I have to only assume that these people played a larger role in the games. However, for me who just watched the anime version it seemed like boring filler.

Also, yeah, if they're going into further detail about the non-returners and the rest of the GU storyline elements than yes.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I know this may look like a case of necroposting, but I found this thread through the official series index.

I thought that Tabby's tag-along crew actually did serve a purpose. They indicated that she had grown up to the point that she could help other people grow up with her. However, I could see why they'd be annoying. Personally, while I realize that Tabby is a fan service cat-girl character, I would have liked her to be a good deal more intelligent. I honestly appreciate when characters like that have a bit of an edge to them. Mindless fan service is fun and all, but it really enhances a character to give them a better understanding of the world they're in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6