• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo/GDH Contacts Crunchyroll Video Site

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god... they're actually TEAMING UP AND BEING REASONABLE?!?!?!
xstylus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I think this is REALLY STUPID of Gonzo. This is like America contacting Al Quaeda and saying, "Hey, can we let bygones be bygones and work together?"

Shut those ass hats down.
appleturbo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
my god someone finally got a clue!

Gee next you'll be telling us that animation studios will be using BT to distribute anime
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Some anime studios DO use BT to distribute anime...

But Crunchy getting Gonzo on board is an excellent thing. Gonzo tends to gain bigtime by this.
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that mod from CR who was posting in the "Funi and Bandai agree..." thread posted a link earlier this morning. I didn't know whether to believe it or not.

The cynic in me thought it was just a clever way to get more hits on CR's website. More hits means more revenue for them.
xstylus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
appleturbo wrote:
my god someone finally got a clue!

Yep. That clue is that bad behavior can be rewarded if you kick a industry when it's down.

appleturbo wrote:

But Crunchy getting Gonzo on board is an excellent thing. Gonzo tends to gain bigtime by this.

And the fact that people like you see this as a good thing makes the fan in me die inside a little more.

Last edited by xstylus on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Yeah, that mod from CR who was posting in the "Funi and Bandai agree..." thread posted a link earlier this morning. I didn't know whether to believe it or not.

The cynic in me thought it was just a clever way to get more hits on CR's website. More hits means more revenue for them.
not to mention the timing. the DAY after FUNi and Bandai BOTH speak out against them they mention a Japanese company supports them... really, it's too convenient for them.
Archer113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
appleturbo wrote:

Gee next you'll be telling us that animation studios will be using BT to distribute anime

and that would be bad how? I would freaking love that, charging maybe a monthly fee for unlimited downloads or 1.99 per episode or something. Thing is it wouldn't be that hard to do it.

As per this article... until Gonzo comes out and says "Hey CR is our friend we support you!" I say CR is backpedaling and trying to come up with a way to save their asses.
shadowblack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gonzo will premiere this game-based anime in Japan on March 4.

I think that should be "April 4".
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Okay, first off some companies have used BT in the past, but they've not exactly embraced the technology yet. At least two years ago, ADV used it to distribute a full ep of one of their "B" titles about 2 years ago.

But the important thing is what CR is stating. I find it to be a tad specious as Gonzo has always let another party do their talking in the US and historcally, has never directly contacted anyone for distribution as a third party (as is being done here). They let the license holder in that region do it for them.

Unless it's a conversation regarding how much of the 250K fine for each infraction under the NET act that they want CR to give them in order to avoid jail time (remember, NET is a criminal statute, not a civil one), I would highly doubt this statement.

That said, I've learned that sanity is not a huge part of the anime industry.

EDIT: with the update, it looks like my last comment might have been more true than not Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Yoda117 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
gdupninja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
even though CR has a bad image with alot of people, Gonzo can make alot of money off of this. Cr has alot of users, which would allow gonzo to promote their upcoming anime and such. They can have their own exclusive webcast like they do with youtube. It might seem wrong to some people but sadly, money makes the world go round.
Archer113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
gdupninja wrote:
even though CR has a bad image with alot of people, Gonzo can make alot of money off of this. Cr has alot of users, which would allow gonzo to promote their upcoming anime and such. They can have their own exclusive webcast like they do with youtube. It might seem wrong to some people but sadly, money makes the world go round.

Unless their quality went up, I would say that most would rather not get their anime from a crappy streaming site. Still if Gonzo does support them, I would say I hope that the video quality goes up, if they do I have a feeling I'll be getting a subscription.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
daedelus wrote:

not to mention the timing. the DAY after FUNi and Bandai BOTH speak out against them they mention a Japanese company supports them... really, it's too convenient for them.

Actually, FUNi and Bandai Ent. should have checked with their contacts before making any statements. It's pretty obvious that the GONZO deal didn't take place in less than a day.

R1 made a wee bit of a PR mistake there imo.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Even if this news is true, I only wish that CR just get rid of all of the illegal content off of their site, whether they are asked to or not. Then maybe my perception of them may improve.
Archer113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Actually, FUNi and Bandai Ent. should have checked with their contacts before making any statements. It's pretty obvious that the GONZO deal didn't take place in less than a day.

R1 made a wee bit of a PR mistake there imo.

Unless this is all a big lie.

Then again, if it isn't you're right, seems that the R1 industry is saying and doing alot of stupid things this year. First ADV prez comes out and kind of attacks fans and now FUNI and Bandai jump the gun...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8