• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Doraemon to be Japan's First "Anime Ambassador"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hara

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
If you really believe, he may come to life Laughing
Let's draw a prime minister!

Well, I don't see were Doraemon promoted Japanese culture. Isn't it a phenomenon that's just limited to Japan?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Forget Doraemon, make the ambassador Captain Harlock.

Damn 11's can't do anything right these days.

As for illegal net releases, buying licensed shows is good and all but it doesn't guarantee all shows will get R1 or even R2 DVD releases. I can name a few that I'm afraid we'll never see licensed, which is a shame.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Heehee~ Doraemon was my first anime. It wasn't my gateway drug, but it was a hook, that's for sure.
W-General

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
With such an influence Doraemon has on the pan-Asian youth culture (I grew up watching Doraemon in Taiwan), I am surprised that none of it is available state-side.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:
Isn't it a phenomenon that's just limited to Japan?

And I thought Europeans are less self-centered than Americans. Rolling Eyes Everyone, I mean, EVERYONE under 50 (probably 60) in East Asia knows Doraemon. He's equivalent to Micky Mouse and Batman to Americans.

W-General wrote:
I am surprised that none of it is available state-side.

As far as I know Shogakukan is rather anal hesitant and careful when dealing with licenses of young children-oriented titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
In America; a "Foreign Minister of Affairs" is known as the "State Secretary." And our State-Sec is Condoleezza Rice, aka Condirice.

Using a cartoon character to promote a culture, huh? Things had changed for the worse when kids up and down the Americas know Joe Camel more than they know Mickey Mouse.

What cultures does this country have anymore? Since America is, you know. "A Melting Pot."

Sporting events? Apple pie? The Playboy Bunnies? Bugs Bunny? Hanna-Barbera cartoons? "A house, a Japanese car, and a pool?" "Self-Reliance?" Bruce Springsteen and John Cougar Mellencamp? Jazz and Blues? "Garage/Basement-Born Mega-Ultra-Industries?"

I know the US fell off in terms of respect when Bush decided, after 9/11, that "our enemies should be bombed along the equator." And even his fellow Republicans would like to see him go and never return.

Getting back up is what I would like to see the US doing. And I'm sorry; I don't have any revolutionary answers for that.
MrVince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
And I thought Europeans are less self-centered than Americans. Rolling Eyes Everyone, I mean, EVERYONE under 50 (probably 60) in East Asia knows Doraemon. He's equivalent to Micky Mouse and Batman to Americans.

And most Japanese still think Kentucky Fried Chicken is a Japanese company! So let's call it even on the self-centered remarks. Very Happy

Tyrenol wrote:
What cultures does this country have anymore? Since America is, you know. "A Melting Pot."

It is. There are other countries that are regional melting pots. Singapore and U.A.E. for example. However, they don't have such a diversity of multiple regions as in the U.S.

Tyrenol wrote:
Sporting events? Apple pie? The Playboy Bunnies? Bugs Bunny? Hanna-Barbera cartoons? "A house, a Japanese car, and a pool?" "Self-Reliance?" Bruce Springsteen and John Cougar Mellencamp? Jazz and Blues? "Garage/Basement-Born Mega-Ultra-Industries?"

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, so I'll take it at face value. Jazz and Blues are definitely American arts.

I also see you at least list yourself in NorCal, so as a fellow Californian you should know the culture here is so blended that in itself becomes an identity of its own which constantly re-invents itself. For example, name one city outside of the US or California for that matter where you can eat ramen for lunch at one of many ramen shops and have tacos and french fries for dinner?

Tyrenol wrote:
Getting back up is what I would like to see the US doing. And I'm sorry; I don't have any revolutionary answers for that.

You don't need to. Our commercial cultural commandos are already doing it for us. Many people outside the US say they hate our policies with Iraq, yet they will go to the local KFC, get a cup of coffee at starbucks, and yearn to see the upcoming slew of American movies at the cinema. Oh, and while they do that, they'll be carrying around a jailbroken iPhone because it's the "must have" item.*

* Funny how people don't mention that it was an American electronics product (iPod) that killed a Japanese one (walkman)?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
They should make Badtz Maru the ambassador. It would be an easy sell, since he's friends with Hello Kitty and everyone loves penguins anyway. It's about time he gets his due.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
elreicht

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm thrilled with the idea. Embarassed
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
MrVince wrote:
dormcat wrote:

And most Japanese still think Kentucky Fried Chicken is a Japanese company! So let's call it even on the self-centered remarks. Very Happy

Uh, don't believe everything you read in Wikipedia. I like how Wikipedia "cites" this misleading nugget to a magazine article that doesn't say this at all. Actually, Kentucky Fried Chicken USA let go of 31% of Kentucky Fried Chicken Japan late last year. Mitsubishi (yes, that Mitsubishi) now owns 62.8% of the latter, so it's mostly not American anymore.

http://www.reuters.com/article/sphereNews/idUST17595020071031?sp=true&view=sphere

Quote:
For example, name one city outside of the US or California for that matter where you can eat ramen for lunch at one of many ramen shops and have tacos and french fries for dinner?

Uh, Tokyo. Smile

Quote:
Tyrenol wrote:

You don't need to. Our commercial cultural commandos are already doing it for us. Many people outside the US say they hate our policies with Iraq, yet they will go to the local KFC, get a cup of coffee at starbucks, and yearn to see the upcoming slew of American movies at the cinema. Oh, and while they do that, they'll be carrying around a jailbroken iPhone because it's the "must have" item.*

* Funny how people don't mention that it was an American electronics product (iPod) that killed a Japanese one (walkman)?

Because it is possible to disapprove of the current American government while still admiring America--and realize that these are not one and the same. Judging by the latest polls in the United States, the majority of American citizens feel the same way.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
MrVince wrote:
For example, name one city outside of the US or California for that matter where you can eat ramen for lunch at one of many ramen shops and have tacos and french fries for dinner?

Uh, Tokyo. Smile

I wish it was that easy! French fries, sure. There's McDonald's everywhere. But I've only found one fairly decent Mexican place in Tokyo and it's so overpriced. Sad This California native goes for long dry spells away from burritos while living in Japan..!! And it's really only Tokyo, anyway, which is overflowing with culture. In California it was never hard to find places like that in any city near where I lived. I certainly don't know of any Mexican places outside of Tokyo, but I would LOVE to be proven wrong!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
testorschoice wrote:
MrVince wrote:

Uh, Tokyo. Smile

I wish it was that easy! French fries, sure. There's McDonald's everywhere. But I've only found one fairly decent Mexican place in Tokyo and it's so overpriced. Sad This California native goes for long dry spells away from burritos while living in Japan..!! And it's really only Tokyo, anyway, which is overflowing with culture. In California it was never hard to find places like that in any city near where I lived. I certainly don't know of any Mexican places outside of Tokyo, but I would LOVE to be proven wrong!

There are a few more decent Mexican restaurants in the Kanto area, but yeah, most are overpriced or in hole-in-the-wall places. The same goes for the Kansai area. Need to find one in the Kansai area?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
MrVince wrote:

Uh, don't believe everything you read in Wikipedia.

Well, I do know that a large number of 2channelers who think most, if not all, anime figures are made in Japan from start to finish. They are devastated when they learned the fact that most figures are only designed in Japan and manufactured, polished, and packaged in China, a country they often look down upon.

Generally speaking, the more self-sufficient a country is (or a country with citizens who believe that they are self-sufficient, such as USA and Japan), the more self-centered its citizens are likely to be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Well, I do know that a large number of 2channelers who think most, if not all, anime figures are made in Japan from start to finish. They are devastated when they learned the fact that most figures are only designed in Japan and manufactured, polished, and packaged in China, a country they often look down upon.

I agree that quite a few Japanese people are myopic beyond the country's borders, especially on 2channel, which is even more insular than the rest of the population. But the whole most-Japanese-people-don't-know-Kentucky-Fried-Chicken-is-not-Japanese meme is an unfounded urban myth. (And with the recent change of corporate hands, a moot point.)
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
MrVince wrote:

São Paulo, Brazil.

Brazilian government was forced to update their passport system not too long ago because of the great number of falsifications that were running all over the world. If one thing that is hard to tell is if someone is Brazilian just by looking at their name and photo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2