• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daily Links of the Day: File-Sharing, Saiyuki Musical

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, ISPs actually willing to do something on their own. How is that not it's own story?

Interesting they are still in talks about the process. I wonder if it will include a way to detect P2P.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm no Saiyuki fan, but it's definitely a good pick for a myu. Sounds like it'd be a lot of fun, and it has potential for great moves and cool actors.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The organizations will hold a panel with the Japanese Society for Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers

It took me five seconds to realize it's JASRAC. I suggest putting the acronym parenthesized.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Wow, ISPs actually willing to do something on their own. How is that not it's own story?

Interesting they are still in talks about the process. I wonder if it will include a way to detect P2P.

Some US ISPs are also taking similiar action as well so it's not really that big of a shock...

And I'm so glad that noitaminA continues to be so successful, they've shown some of the best titles these past few years. Personally I wish they would go back to shoujo/josei only but I look forward to Library War next month and Antique Bakery this summer... hopefully I'll also finally watch Mononoke and Moyashimon by then. Razz
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
I'm no Saiyuki fan, but it's definitely a good pick for a myu. Sounds like it'd be a lot of fun, and it has potential for great moves and cool actors.

Only thing is that it's already being done. It's called "Monkey: Journey to the West," and it's done by Damon Albarn & Jamie Hewlett.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm sort of surprised they haven't done it yet.
Saiyuki has loads of drama cds & character & image albums.
Of course, the anime VAs are pretty tightly associated with it, so it will be different to actually have something cast with actors to look the part & not just act it.

Quote:
Only thing is that it's already being done. It's called "Monkey: Journey to the West," and it's done by Damon Albarn & Jamie Hewlett.

Based on Minekura's work?
Because this Saiyuki is a specific manga & more from Sanzo's POV than anyone's. It's pretty much focused on all 4 members of the team, but the latest arc & the overall motivation is coming down to Sanzo's mentor & Dr Jyenni.
omnistry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I'm sort of surprised they haven't done it yet.
Saiyuki has loads of drama cds & character & image albums.
Of course, the anime VAs are pretty tightly associated with it, so it will be different to actually have something cast with actors to look the part & not just act it.

Quote:

Based on Minekura's work?
Because this Saiyuki is a specific manga & more from Sanzo's POV than anyone's. It's pretty much focused on all 4 members of the team, but the latest arc & the overall motivation is coming down to Sanzo's mentor & Dr Jyenni.

The work of "Saiyuki" and "Monkey" are based on the same Chinese tale: "Journey to the West" by Wú Chéng'ēn, so there are a lot of similarities.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

Some US ISPs are also taking similiar action as well so it's not really that big of a shock...

Yes, and Comcast is facing a class-action lawsuit because of it.

omnistry wrote:
The work of "Saiyuki" and "Monkey" are based on the same Chinese tale: "Journey to the West" by Wú Chéng'ēn, so there are a lot of similarities.

Yes, there are similarities, but the article very specifically said the production is based off of Minekura's work, meaning the character interaction, costume designs, and the foundation of the dialogue will come from her retelling. Meaning there will be significant differences between a play based on her story and one based on the original Chinese tale.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I think a few of these could have been their own articles.
kaori.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

Yea they are taking action but some like comcast, they had a program to filter and throttle p2p, after a while, they actually lost a lot of stock $$ just cause of that. Havnt used p2p in a long time, didn't think people still use it.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Unlike in the US, the internet system in Japan is structured in a much more competative fashion.

You generally pay a state subsidized company like the phone company for the DSL or fiber connection, and then a separate ISP for the data transfer.

In my area (Tokyo), there are literally 12-15 different ISP companies I could use to get internet connection, all in competition with each other. So unlike the US where the ISP owns the wires and there's only 1 choice in most areas, such actions would simply drive business away from the ISPs who try it in any significant way.

From a pirates point of view this is actually a good thing, as it hopefully will be a nail in winny's coffin and force more people to switch to newer, more secure p2p sharing programs.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Unlike in the US, the internet system in Japan is structured in a much more competative fashion.

You generally pay a state subsidized company like the phone company for the DSL or fiber connection, and then a separate ISP for the data transfer.
That situation is similar here in the UK.

Quote:
In my area (Tokyo), there are literally 12-15 different ISP companies I could use to get internet connection, all in competition with each other. So unlike the US where the ISP owns the wires and there's only 1 choice in most areas, such actions would simply drive business away from the ISPs who try it in any significant way.
You make it sound like the majority of their customers are pirates. Wink Besides if all 12-15 do it, the pirates will have nowhere to go to avoid it.
Starre257

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
Saiyuki musical? I'd go to Japan just to see that. I recently discovered this series and now it's one of my favorites.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
The Japanese ISPs targeting Winny are wasting their time, Winny's has already been "targeted" 3 times and most people have already moved on from it. Think Napstar when the RIAA went after it, people already moved onto other file sharing programs.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
From a pirates point of view this is actually a good thing, as it hopefully will be a nail in winny's coffin and force more people to switch to newer, more secure p2p sharing programs.

Given the quote said four organizations made up of 1000's of ISP's, it does sound like it's an industry-wide enforcement.

Good for JASRAC. It's not evil corporations doing this people- it's the actual artists who draw your favorite manga, paint the cels of your favorite shows, and voice your favorite characters. They deserve improved standards for protecting their work... it's kind of shitty that it's supposed "fans" who are the reason behind all of it needing to be done.

I love anime, and I'm with anime on this one- pseudo-fans can just go find somethingelse to do with their free time, or find free/cheap ways to enjoy the fandom that don't involve breaking the law [need I mention Libraries for the umpteenth times. Libraries ARE A GOOD THING TO SUPPORT]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2