• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop's Levy Plans 3D Lament of the Lamb Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saini85

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:03 am Reply with quote
A six million dollar budget for a two hour movie? I don't know how this could look like anything better than a student's project.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:10 am Reply with quote
Man I hope this pans out like everything else tokyopop has planned.

If you catch my drift
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:49 am Reply with quote
The OVA they did is beautiful (well the first episode, which is all I've seen, is anyway), that was directed by Gisaburo Sugii.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
I wish Tokyopop well, but I have to say I don't understand why they are making a film about Lament of the Lamb. (Okay, I know why they're doing it is to make money.) It just seems like such a financial risk. Then again, I guess they're a company that has always been willing to take chances.

It will be interesting to see what happens. There have been many hits with films inspired by American comics (Batman, the "old" Superman, X-Men, etc.). I wonder what's going to happen with manga and American film makers - if it ever gets that far. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like many manga-based films that were slated for US production, have never made it very far. (Battle Angel Alita, Evangelion, etc.)

Hmmm. . . Is Speed Racer going to be the first live-action American-made film that's based on a Japanese anime/manga series?
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
uhh.... there's no action in Lament of the Lamb, so isn't kind of a waste of resources?
Strephon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Hmmm. . . Is Speed Racer going to be the first live-action American-made film that's based on a Japanese anime/manga series?

There was the 1991 Guyver movie and its 1994 sequel. It wouldn't surprise me if there were others, but nothing's coming to mind right now.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I remember being excited when I first heard about this. But this sounds like a total disappointment. 3D? Really? You mean they couldn't find any real actors? I mean, I don't expect a-list but still... And I thought they were going to stick closer to the story and just relocate it. Sheesh, I could do better than this.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, if I ever needed more proof that Stu Levy is a blistering idiot who is more about style than substance...

A 3D movie? Of Lament of the Lamb? WHY? It's a family drama with a realistic take on vampirism.

Also "Love Like Blood"? "Blake Edwards"? "increasingly intense — and gory — before a final twist"? What the hell book was he reading? I thought Levy claimed it was a favorite manga? What kind of person does that to their favorite manga? Unless the whole comment was for show because he wanted to make a movie out of it. Wouldn't put it past him.

Really, should we be surprised by any of this considering this is the idiot who took out all the popular music from Initial D and replaced it with his own?

here-and-faraway wrote:
It will be interesting to see what happens. There have been many hits with films inspired by American comics (Batman, the "old" Superman, X-Men, etc.).

Also, Road to Perdition, American Splendor, and Ghost World if you want to talk about more than superheroes and box office.

Quote:
I wonder what's going to happen with manga and American film makers - if it ever gets that far. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like many manga-based films that were slated for US production, have never made it very far. (Battle Angel Alita, Evangelion, etc.)

Well Alita is in the works alongside Cameron's own Avatar (not based on the toon, but his own concept). Alita is going to be in 3d. Now there is a manga that would benefit from 3D technology. Nevermind Cameron's been studying it anyone, one of a number of big directors pushing for it. For Levy to come in half assed like this and hop on the bandwagon shouldn't surprise me.

Quote:

Besides Guyver, didn't Crying Freeman also get a film?

Last edited by The Xenos on Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
I remember being excited when I first heard about this. But this sounds like a total disappointment. 3D? Really? You mean they couldn't find any real actors? I mean, I don't expect a-list but still... And I thought they were going to stick closer to the story and just relocate it. Sheesh, I could do better than this.

Read that again. I thought that at first too. No, it's going to be live action, but filmed in 3D, you know like Captain Eo or Superman Returns. Not that it makes any sense either, but it's not CGI animation.

The funny thing is, I think a number of fans could do better than this. You could easily make an indie film of Lament of the Lamb. It requires little to no special effects. The only thing would be imitating blood and some bleeding.

No, instead Stu Levy wants to make it a big Hollywood film and in threeeeeeee deeee. What is wrong with that guy?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Reading the linked article has me even more dumbfounded.

Quote:
"Our goal is to create a mantra for this generation that resonates through gothic fashion, manga-style cinematic aesthetics and the coming-of-age challenge faced by every teenager," Levy said. "Achieving these goals through the prism of a haunting and demented entertainment experience will be our key approach to this film."

"But still, it's about the story and it is up to us to tell it as best we can," he said. "The movie doesn't have spectacles, but it does have anger and emotion, and the scene in which Blake smashes the guitar is powerful -- in 3-D, the glass comes towards you. That is the kind of thing an audience can succumb to and it is the sort of technology that Tokyopop should be involved in."

If he wasn't talking about a book I really liked, I would find his stupidity laughable.

" a mantra for this generation that resonates through gothic fashion, manga-style cinematic aesthetics and the coming-of-age challenge faced by every teenager " WHAT? Where was any of that in the book? Hell, what does that even mean? Manga style cinematics? Really, his abuse of the word manga is just going too far.

Plus Blake smashes his guitar? Why didn't they just invent a new story and leave Lament of the Lamb alone? And "the sort of technology that Tokyopop should be involved in"? They're a book publisher who's failed in the past at selling movies. Now they want to get in on a new technology even the big studios haven't figured out yet. How can this not fail?

I like manga. I like Lament of the Lamb. I like gothic style. I like angsty coming of age stories. Yet I already hate this movie.

Ugh. I'm so damn angry and disappointed over this news.
Oronae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Bah, I expect this to get about as far as the Gon CG movie that was announced a couple years back. Absolutely nowhere.
Tolone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I expect this to be about as good as that dominion tank police 3d spin off that shall not be named.

Sigh really liked this series, why did they have to destroy it. Hopefully this goes nowhere(or they stop acting retarded and not make it 3d at least).

Btw this might not be the first hollywood production to come from japan in awhile, Akira with Leonardo DiCaprio might come out first.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
[/quote] Read that again. I thought that at first too. No, it's going to be live action, but filmed in 3D, you know like Captain Eo or Superman Returns. Not that it makes any sense either, but it's not CGI animation. [/quote]

I saw Superman Returns and I don't remember it being in 3D. I asked my husband and he said it's more like Spy Kids. Which is just as bad, though. But yeah, this approach is totally stupid. I mean, it could easily be done by a theater group and it would be better than what Stu Levy's planning.

Sorry, Xenos. I can't get the hang of this "quote" function.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
rin: There was a scene they shot in 3-d for IMAX.
Emichan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
Sounds like a lame idea. Well, not a live action Lament, but the stupid changes they are proposing. The name Blake Edwards is very distracting. I keep thinking of the Pink Panther. And lets just get rid of that pesky sibling thing. Yeah. ok...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2