• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nana DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Is it as risque as the manga, though? Or is it more PG-13?
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Entertainment value? Dear Lord, this was one of the worst films I've ever sat through. The sets were cheap and drab looking, the music was standard pop dirge (not at all what you'd expect from a punk band), and the acting was so bad I started feeling sorry for everyone involved. Mika Nakashima's performance was just embarrassing, really. Also, even though they gut the plot of the manga (and remove most of Hachi's backstory - we don't hear a thing about spoiler[Asano-san] or spoiler[Yoshida the lively pizza delivery boy], and she gets over spoiler[the breakup with Shouji] in like five seconds), the darn thing still drags on forever. The only good part in this movie was the actress playing Sakagami-san, the nasty lady at Hachi's publishing house job - she was awesome!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
The person above me is crazy. This movie is great, and so is the music. For what it covers (5.5 volumes of manga), it does briskly without leaving out main plot points.

Plus, the scene when spoiler[Nobu comes to Tokyo and Nana sings the prototype for Glamorous Sky] was done better than the manga or the anime.

Fantastic movie, and I can't wait to buy it.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

It's PG-13. The most risque it gets is showing NANA in a tub with her boyfriend on a couple of occasions, albeit only from the shoulders up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sir Hamilton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
I dont feel the movie does justice to the manga.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
As someone that watched the movie before reading the manga, I absolutely love it. I've seen it three times so far, and can't wait to pick up the domestic DVD when I get back home. It perked my interest in the series, and I read volume 1 of the manga and watched episode 1 of the anime soon after first seeing the movie! I think in that respect, it worked quite well.

I think it's a great introduction to the NANA universe and was very well done. My non-anime friends I showed it to liked it quite a lot as well!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:01 am Reply with quote
I liked the movie a fair amount, though I agree that it really didn't do justice to Hachi's storyline, which I think hurt Shouji the most spoiler[because it downplays the good parts of their relationship and makes him out to be more of a jerk than he is in the manga...not that he isn't a jerk there too].

One note though. You said that NANA 2 is unlicensed but I don't think that's the case. Viz's website has 2 volumes listed for the NANA live action, so I assume that this is NANA 2.

Oh, and while I do like the music from the live-action, I still prefer what the anime did with it, especially for Trapnest (I love OLIVIA and her style really fits Reira well).
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:10 am Reply with quote
marie: That could be the anime, actually.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:27 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Since they took out Hachi's backstory there really isn't anything risque to show.
This movie was my introduction to the NANA universe and I liked it a lot. I think the review was spot on in listing it's strenghts and faults. I guess you could say the movie is more then the sum of it's parts. I also saw the anime and read the manga. They did a pretty good adaptation considering the time constraints of a movie.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
marie: That could be the anime, actually.

Maybe, but I doubt it. I would expect that the anime would be out under the Shojo Beat video line and that's not the part of the site that this is listed in (it's listed in the Viz Pictures section which is, from what I can tell, made up exclusively of live action titles). Also, the anime is going to be a lot more than one volume.
Senna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't realize this had even been licensed Shocked *obviously has been neglectful*

Either way, I really enjoyed this movie, and I'll be sure to pick up the DVD when I get back in the States. I had pretty low expectations going in (even though I adore the manga, as the reviewer says, live action adaptations aren't always stellar), and I was very pleasantly surprised. I'd recommend it to Nana fans and non-fans alike -- I think it stands alone pretty well. I hope we get the second film over as well -- I have yet to see it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
Senna wrote:
I hope we get the second film over as well -- I have yet to see it.

The second is okay, but I think the first is better. They just have to rush so much into the second that it really gets a bit overwhelming: spoiler[it covers Hachi's pregnancy and the aftermath breakdown of the friendship between the Nanas.]
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
"It does have a yet-to-be-licensed follow-up movie called NANA 2"

I'm pretty certain NANA 2 is licensed. I had a translation done but never released the fansub because VIZ announced both were licensed.

-Tofu
aluria

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
I adored this movie. Read the manga first and was part way through the anime when I saw this if memory serves me. The music was wonderful and the acting was pretty good.

It's the second one I never want to see again. I didn't like the new Hachiko actress and the pacing was terrible. I think if they had split the second movie into two, it would've worked much better.

The second movie is licensed: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-11-01/viz-pictures-adds-honey-and-clover-love-com-nana-live-action
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
aluria wrote:

Hmm, apparently I missed this when I was checking into the second movie. Perhaps I should change the relevant comment to: "there is no information yet available on when the second movie will be released."

Incidentally, the first movie is officially due out on DVD on April 8th. According to a Viz Media rep, there are still going to be a few more public and press screenings around the country between now and then. For those who are interested and live in the appropriate areas:

Quote:
NANA will screen in Los Angeles, March 21-27 at the IMAGINASIAN CENTER and then in New York [City], April 4-10 at the IMAGINASIAN THEATRE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2