• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Streams Mamoru-kun Anime in Japanese for Free

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaori.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/user/KADOKAWAanime

wow nice, if only more companies would promote like this. Not like they are wasting their bandwidth since its coming through youtube.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
6000 views for episode 1? It says it's been uploaded for about a week already, that's quite pitiful. I think Japanese otaku realized a while ago this show ain't any good. I mean, the torrents of fansubs got downloaded about 13,000 for the final episode (25,000 for the first one), and they can't even get half that for _view counts_ when offering it for free with absolutely no hassle? They need to advertise better in Japan that they're doing this.

R2 dvds are $60 over 12 discs for regular editions, $80 over 12 for deluxe. It boggles the mind who would pay those prices for this marginally entertaining crap (my personal opinion, of course).
kaori.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:53 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
6000 views for episode 1? It says it's been uploaded for about a week already, that's quite pitiful. I think Japanese otaku realized a while ago this show ain't any good. I mean, the torrents of fansubs got downloaded about 13,000 for the final episode (25,000 for the first one), and they can't even get half that for _view counts_ when offering it for free with absolutely no hassle? They need to advertise better in Japan that they're doing this.

R2 dvds are $60 over 12 discs for regular editions, $80 over 12 for deluxe. It boggles the mind who would pay those prices for this marginally entertaining crap (my personal opinion, of course).

Yea it is prety expensive, wasnt that great either. And the series was out for a while also on tv and dvds, considering most people already seen this, don't see no point of rewatching it again on youtube, unless you recorded the broadcast of this tv.

Should be done with newer airing series. That should grab a wider range audience.
Serge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

My thoughts exactly, and not only that, it seems those prices are slowly shifting to the US (Bandai Visual!)
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
Hmm, this makes me think...

Perhaps Kadokawa's plan to put stuff out on youtube might have unintended negative consequences...

We can be pretty much assured that the shows they will put up in full will be low-selling back-catalog titles or generally the crappier titles... I highly doubt we'll see Haruhi season 2 up on youtube anytime soon, etc.

But then people who are enticed to watch the free shows will basically only see the crappiest things kadokawa produces, and might come away saying "Wow, no wonder they give this crap away. I'd rather watch toonami jetstream" or something.

I mean, if I had no idea who kadokawa was and someone linked me to the series they are streaming for free now, unless I was one of the rare people who really liked this show, I'd probably end up with a WORSE impression of the anime company then when they came in.

I guess what I'm saying is that free streaming is great and good, but not if you exclusively stream your worst titles only.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I had a chance to see the first episode. I should see more before I stick it in the "all moe anime are crap" box. "Mamoru Shukufuku" might be bad; which is usually the standard for moe anime. But it doesn't go into usual waters.

For starters; the guy ends up in some fany school BECAUSE HE _IS_ SMART. And the female lead is ripping off A-ko, but atleast she's not beating the crap out of the male lead. Or atleast she's not the "Queen of Overkill" like Clannad's Tomoyo.

So yeah. What the otaku find entertaining, and what they don't find entertaining; it boggles my mind. I wonder what said otaku do for a living.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
From what I could see and understand, this looks like Negima meets Haruhi.
Too much concentration on fanservice.
Left on the shelf.
Next!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
They should have streamed all of Mushi-Uta imo. I would go there to see that series.

Maybe the watchers in Japan liked Venus to Mamoru and that's why it was the title chosen.
Espeon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:27 pm Reply with quote
This show was awesome just as good as any other, It had a interesting stoy line and good characters with lots or serious moments and funny moments, Atr you people blind.. Any ways i DL'd the whole seroes and watch it all, I'd want it to get lisenced.
jopojelly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Never heard of it.....and it seems like that's a good thing.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
From what I could see and understand, this looks like Negima meets Haruhi.
Too much concentration on fanservice.
Left on the shelf.
Next!

I'd say more Negima meets Oh My Goddess!
Also, while there's not no fanservice, it's hardly a selling point. A lot of times it's used for comedy rather than sex appeal (Emelenzia's attempt to seduce Mamoru, for example, or how the hot spring episode takes a page from FUMOFFU's playbook).
The show is hardly top of the line, but it has it's moments. The supporting cast is decent, if mostly one-dimensional. Maya and Shione, the student council pres and veep brother-sister duo, are fairly etertaining, as is the Engrish-speaking guy. On the whiny guy is really whiny, and I kept expecting Mamoru's sister to reveal that she wasn't actually related to him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1