• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blade of the Immortal TV Anime Confirmed for Summer

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote
I hope it has a good theme song
melonbread

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:54 am Reply with quote
Only name I recognised for the cast was MAAYA SAKAMOTO - awesome! I hope she's doing the theme songs as well, and I have a feeling that this is going to be one long-assed series. They've got a hell of a lot of material to work with.

I also hope that it will breathe new life into Dark Horses manga release, which is in dire need of a re-release the same style as Oh My Goddess has got.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:02 am Reply with quote
wow, i don't think anyone saw this coming. i'm worried about Bee Train handling it, but i think it will work out.
hara

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:15 am Reply with quote
Sounds a bit like a joke.

Many, many stills, boring animation and a plot where nothing happens - that will be Bee Train's adaption of it. I mean, you need to have some skilled animators for action and Bee Train only has rookies.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote
I'm having trouble visualising Hiroaki Samura's artwork in anime form. They're going to have to simplify the character designs to the extent that they'll be near unrecognisable.

Still, if this does okay, it might be the impetous Dark Horse needs to re-release the manga unflipped and at a slightly more affordable price.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quote
BEE Train? Are you [expletive] kidding me.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:22 am Reply with quote
It could be excellent, it could be awful, it might be less than satisfactory but lead to another, better adaptation, who knows?

I am looking forward to it, loved the manga and I like Koichi Mashimo's direction at least some of the time.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:31 am Reply with quote
The only way BEE Train will do this justice is if they do what Artland did with Mushishi and pull in every amazing freelance key animator possible.

If you look at BEE Trains past works and think that with their current staff they can do this justice you're more optimistic than Fuura Kafuka from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.
reversethief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:32 am Reply with quote
This was an unconfirmed rumor on Moon Phase a few months back, glad to see it panned out.

Tomokazu Seki is voicing Manji!! HAPPY DAY!!
kamidai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote
I should be excited about an anime of this, but that type of source material and BEE Train? Oh lord. This is not going to end well.

I hope it somehow does turn out wonderfully and makes me feel stupid for saying that this is not going to end well, I really do, but somehow I doubt that's going to happen.
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
This is bittersweet news: Blade is finally getting some anime treatment, BUT... It's Bee Train doing it. I know I'm just echoing the choir, but this really is something to worry about.
Shale

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quote
Gotta agree with the prevailing sentiment - Blade of the Immortal kicks ass and I love it, but Bee Train is going to have to go way, way outside their usual style to do it justice and I kinda doubt they can.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote
I always wondered why no one decided to make Blade of the Immortal into an anime series. It looks like it's finally going to get its chance, although, like the other posters, I'm nervous about BeeTrain doing the production. I don't hate their stuff - but their story endings are usually pretty lame. (Can someone please explain what the conclusion of Avenger was about? And I'm sorry, but my suspension of disbelief plummited to the ground when I realized what the secret of Noir was.) Oh well, at least there are some good "story arc endings" in the Blade manga series where Bee Train can wrap things up.

I love Blade of the Immortal, even if the recent American story arc seems to be dragging its feet. It was my "gateway drug" into manga.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
How is this even possible? I've read a few of my friends BotI comics, and it so violent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
I thought the creator of BotI was known to resist animation of his story because he didn't think they could do his art style justice?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4