• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live Action Witch Hunter Robin

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah! I am so there!!

I bet this will do a better job than the Eva movie, but ah wells. I'm so there! hehehe

Casting inquiries?
BrikHaus81

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I hope they can put a bit more action into it than was in the anime. Otherwise it won't last very long on a U.S. network.
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:25 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be on Sci-Fi channel... not exactly ABC. And if I'm not mistaken Sci-Fi is picked up internationally, not just in the CONUS.
ultrabot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:29 pm Reply with quote
this will be interesting to see nevertheless though. besides cast list, no idea on when it'll air i assume?
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, interesting. Let's hope they don't screw it up.
P.S. Whatever happened to the Amber's Chronicales project announced few years ago?
Raoh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh, would ya look at that?

The guys responsible for making the horrible american version of Ringu, which was a crapfest no less, are now gonna tackle a live action anime adaptation?

Knowing them, they'll change all the characters names too (I.E. Sadako became Samara in The Ring), and change the story to, so that its what they want it to be.

Don't get me wrong, I wanna see live action anime adaptations as much as the next guy.

But the guys who did The Ring?

Come on, I saw The Ring and Ringu, and the american version failed in comparision to the Japanese version.

We can only hope they make a decent script, get some good actors (Maybe Jessica Alba as the lead, perhapes?), and make a decent flick we can all bare to watch for two hours and it won't completely bore us.

I await this movie, and will reserve some critisizm for it.
SharinganKakashi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:43 pm Reply with quote
There's another thread on this in the Anime Section
Zeus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:03 pm Reply with quote
theyre probably going to bill it like "the next Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
qollocust

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I think they could pull this off......there isn't anything too outrageous in Robin that would be difficult to film/adapt. The only obvious change that may occur is moving the setting from Japan to NYC or something like that....
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
Knowing them, they'll change all the characters names too (I.E. Sadako became Samara in The Ring), and change the story to, so that its what they want it to be.

We can only hope they make a decent script, get some good actors (Maybe Jessica Alba as the lead, perhapes?), and make a decent flick we can all bare to watch for two hours and it won't completely bore us.

I await this movie, and will reserve some critisizm for it.

Jessica Alba as Robin Cena...just a sec.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

As for the dreaded "Americanization," well...of course the names will change. After all, "Robin Cena," "Michael Lee," and "Amon" are such Japanese names that Americans just couldn't possibly handle them. Rolling Eyes

Seriously, I am really getting fed up with this pissy crybaby Chicken Little "OMFG SKY SI FALING!!!111one1!" bullshit. First Evangelion, and now this. So they change a name...BIG DEAL! Names are trivial, it's the character behind the name that's more important! Slacker character Dojima's name is changed to...say...Mary. Yet she's still a slacker. Does the name change really ruin that character? Huh? Does it!?

Personally, I wouldn't mind a bit if they changed the locale and Japanese names in the live-action Witch Hunter. The setting doesn't seem all that Japanese to begin with, if I may be frank. STN-NY instead of STN-J? Will it really make a difference?

And for the record...yeah...there's a noteworthy difference between a movie and a TV show. Figuring it out is advised.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:49 am Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
Yeah! I am so there!!

I bet this will do a better job than the Eva movie, but ah wells. I'm so there! hehehe

Casting inquiries?

Can you really compare a movie about a firestarting detective girl to a movie about giant robots? That's like comparing the Matrix to Back to the Future. You can try, but there wouldn't be much substance.

Anyway, getting WHR out of Japan wouldn't be a half bad idea, it really needs something more gothic in structure like an old city in France or Italy.

Have faith, Nagisa, there are some here that don't go crazy over the little things. I believe it's called independent thought.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:02 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Anyway, getting WHR out of Japan wouldn't be a half bad idea, it really needs something more gothic in structure like an old city in France or Italy.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Funny thing is, had they not actually said they were in Japan, I never would've guessed, because that actually does look more like an American or European city than any Japanese one I've ever seen. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Emerje wrote:
Have faith, Nagisa, there are some here that don't go crazy over the little things. I believe it's called independent thought.

Lol, yeah...sorry about freaking out like that. A lot of it was general pent-up frustration over the live-action film hysteria.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:04 am Reply with quote
Name changes don't bother me. Locale changes don't bother me. What bothers me is a change in the flavor of the story. I worry that the producers of the American series will try to appeal to viewers of shows like "Alias" by sexing up the show.

I don't think Robin needs her trademark bicycle-handlebar hairdo to be Robin, but she does need that full-length black dress. If Robin is wearing anything even slightly sexy, I will be very pissed.

------RM
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The guys responsible for making the horrible american version of Ringu, which was a crapfest no less, are now gonna tackle a live action anime adaptation?

I watched the Japanese and American versions of The Ring on two consecutive nights, Japanese version first. I liked them both. Hell, other than the omission of the male leads psychic ablities, they were close to identical.

If the American Witch Hunter Robin is as close to the Japanese as the Ring was, I will be one very happy Sci-Fi viewer.

------RM
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:25 am Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
I don't think Robin needs her trademark bicycle-handlebar hairdo to be Robin, but she does need that full-length black dress. If Robin is wearing anything even slightly sexy, I will be very pissed.

Wouldn't that depend on if you thought full-length black dresses were sexy? Anyway, who says it's the lead who has to be the uber-tramp? I think there's plenty of room for them to play with the sex-appeal of characters like Dojima.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4