• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BOST to Offer Downloads without Digital Restrictions

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:05 am Reply with quote
http://www.bosttv.com/news/story/29/

BOST is offering, for those who sign up before 2nd April (free to sign up) the first few episodes of Druaga and Blassreiter free.

Further they now offer DRM-free 'specially formatted' downloads of the episodes (no info on the special format) which will work on PC, PSP, iPod types at no additional cost to their regular one.

1 episode = 100pts

500pts ≈$10

≈$2 per episode
≈£1, making it great value for UK residents, got to love a weak dollar.

It still says rental though, so I am unsure if the 'special format' will have some way of enforcing this.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote
They want to call it something other than DRM it sounds like, though I guess "specially formatted" could mean extremely-low resolution/quality or something. If not, it'll be "DRM-Free" in name only.

2$ per episode for only 2 weeks is not a good price at all really.

(Let me make it clear I did sign up and even pay-for/watch episodes there. It's an OK service but the pricing-structure is all wrong at the moment IMO, and I told them my opinion as well)
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:38 am Reply with quote
Well, I think that the DRM free version needs some clarification. I would like to know if that copy has a timer on it also.

*I wasn't negative as the opening post this time.* Laughing
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:43 am Reply with quote
If it's DRM free, with the ability to copy it around, then there're no usage restrictions. Those are only on DRM files. I'm more concerned with the quality of the downloadable file. Either way, I'll definitely sign up for it now, so I can at least get the first 2 eps of both series to judge the quality. If it's decent, this is just what I was hoping they'd do. $2 an episode is worth it, especially when that's like, $8 a month.
Serge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
If it's DRM free, with the ability to copy it around, then there're no usage restrictions. Those are only on DRM files. I'm more concerned with the quality of the downloadable file. Either way, I'll definitely sign up for it now, so I can at least get the first 2 eps of both series to judge the quality. If it's decent, this is just what I was hoping they'd do. $2 an episode is worth it, especially when that's like, $8 a month.

I had a look at the Quality, it's OK, it's a FLV File, better than YouTube Quality, but not exactly sure if it's worth the $2, as it's no where near Fansub quality, video quality wise.
But I like the Idea that it's DRM free, I've had loads of problems with DRM, for example, transfering files to a new computer with DRM...Is a Nightmare, hope FUNimation picks up on this. No DRM Rules!
melonbread

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:57 am Reply with quote
Brilliant. I was hoping BOST's service wouldn't be streaming only.

I just hope there's an option of what quality to download. I seriously want some HD awesomeness from these new series.
Stullz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:14 am Reply with quote
Very interesting. I doubt the downloadable version will be flv though... The article talks about the file being able to be played on the PSP, iPods, etc... Which means in the PSP's case, it has to be encoded in a specific way (I have the ability to rip my own dvd's into a psp readable file and the PSP is quite picky about file type. iPods are a little more open. This will be checked out. I just hope it doesn't hurt the R1 industry... I like to be able to watched both dubs and subs so I can focus on the animation more the first time through.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:17 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if you get the choice of a download format. PSP, PC or iPod...I don't know of a file type which works on all 3 perfectly.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if you get the choice of a download format. PSP, PC or iPod...I don't know of a file type which works on all 3 perfectly.

MP4?
Archer113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
Do you get to keep the downloaded version for more than two weeks, or does after two weeks it stop working? I think this is a great idea (if you get to keep the downloaded copy), I just hope other anime companies follow suit. If they all follow suit, hopefully we will see a decrease in the fansubs, and an increase in our legal anime.
Stullz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Update: Bost tells ANN that the download offer only applies to the two Gonzo titles: The Tower of Druaga: the Aegis of Uruk and Blassreiter. There will be two different, customized downloadable files: one for the PlayStation Portable at 480 by 264 resolution (non-letterboxed) and one for the iPod (and compatible devices) at 320 by 240 resolution (letterboxed). The streams are 640 by 360 resolution (non-letterboxed).

interesting... except the PSP has a pixel ratio to keep it under or else it wont work... from the pspvideo9 forums
Quote:
The PSP has a resolution of 480x272 or 130560 pixels. This equals 510 macroblocks. Since the MPEG-4 Simple Profile cannot support more than 396 macroblocks, it would seem that native resolution support (ie videos in 480x272) is impossible using MPEG-4 Simple Profile.

link: http://www.pspvideo9.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4

if its mp4 it wont work at that size...
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
can one use either of the formats on just normal pc display? (says the guy with a less than perfect connection and now psp or ipod)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Stullz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
can one use either of the formats on just normal pc display? (says the guy with a less than perfect connection and now psp or ipod)

yes. iPod and PSP types can be viewed on a regular computer. I recommend using VLC to play them, but Windows Media and Quick Time should work fine. At least they do for the files I create.
nkaze

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
Great idea, needs a better series to use for the test run though.
Unearthly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
I am disappointed that the only download options are aimed at handhelds, though I do applaud them for not using DRM. However, to get my money I would need a minimum of 640x360 resolution (though I wouldn't be overly happy about a still low resolution).

The Gonzo press release linked here on ANN mentioned 'high resolution' downloads. Unless they are trying to imply that 480x264 is high resolution, I will be holding out for such files.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3