• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Interviews Emma Manga Creator Kaoru Mori

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
Tsk tsk. Rolling Eyes

Forum veterans should know why I'm grumbling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
melonbread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:01 am Reply with quote
CMX? They're still around....

Is Emma edited for their manga release?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote
According to Anime On DVD's edited manga list, Emma has no alterations made.

I've considered checking the manga out, but I only made it about 10 minutes through the anime before I got bored. I don't need things to be too fast as far as pacing, but there are limits to how slow they can be without losing my attention.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Sucks for you, Emma's an awesome show. And I will be buying the DVD since Right Stuf is actually doing it right: complete season in one set, good price, good extras. The only thing it could have used was a dub. I'm not a dubfag at all and I believe they're generally useless, but if they actually did a dub, it could have been good, assuming they used actual genuine real no-bullshit British voice actors. It would suck beyond anything if they pulled that R.O.D. crap again with Americans faking British accents and sounding terrible. So I doubt the dub would have been good anyway had they attempted, so indeed better to just not have bothered.

God I love Emma.
Celes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sucks for you, Emma's an awesome show. And I will be buying the DVD since Right Stuf is actually doing it right: complete season in one set, good price, good extras. The only thing it could have used was a dub. I'm not a dubfag at all and I believe they're generally useless, but if they actually did a dub, it could have been good, assuming they used actual genuine real no-bullshit British voice actors. It would suck beyond anything if they pulled that R.O.D. crap again with Americans faking British accents and sounding terrible. So I doubt the dub would have been good anyway had they attempted, so indeed better to just not have bothered.

God I love Emma.

Uh, if you think the only thing it could have used was a dub, and yet you say it's best they didn't bother anyway...you should think about what you are trying to express a little better. And yeah, this is coming from a "dubfag". Rolling Eyes

I read the interview, it was really cool. Kaoru Mori reminded me a bit of Kaori Yuki, who was/is obsessed with the same victorian London age. Kaori Yuki would go on and on about London in her linear notes to Godchild and Count Cain. I wasn't really thinking about checking out Emma, but maybe now I will.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
...it could have been good, assuming they used actual genuine real no-bullshit British voice actors. It would suck beyond anything if they pulled that R.O.D. crap again with Americans faking British accents and sounding terrible. So I doubt the dub would have been good anyway had they attempted, so indeed better to just not have bothered.

Are you talking about the Read or Die OVA, or the TV series?

I can't speak for the OVA, except to say that I don't care for it overall, though some individual performances are qutie good.

The TV series, on the other hand, is a different story. It's worth pointing out that New Generation, the dub studio for R.O.D the TV, uses voice actors who naturally speak with "British" accents for roles that they feel requires such a quality. See/hear both of the Hellsings, and Licensed by Royalty for other applicable examples. They may not sound like the accent you'd expect to hear, but it's silly to assume that it's not "real" if it doesn't sound like the stereotypical "British" accent you may be used to, since Lord knows that there are as many dialects and variations of dialects in the British Isles as there are here in the good old U.S. of A.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay, that may fly for R.O.D. or other shows, but it wouldn't for Emma since it's a period piece and specific accents would need to be applied otherwise it wouldn't work at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1