• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Megumi Anime about Girl Abducted by N. Korea Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
dear god, don't do the low bandwidth one, it's unwatchable. youtube has better quality.
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, it was informative, in a way, which is what it's supposed to be. I hadn't done any reading on the issue beforehand, so I don't know how closely it followed the whole story.

Other than that, the pacing was odd and the English acting was just about the worst I've seen in a long time. Not unexpected of course, when we're talking about free anime.

But it was informative.
Captain-Bravo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Was it just me or was the Lip-sync in the English dub really off?

It wasn't bad for a free anime though as a matter of fact the animation was better then I thought it would be.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
i know it's for a good cause and everything, but wow... that dub is painful. they should have just used subtitles.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I saw the Japanese version...oh snap! I wanna cry! How dare those North Koreans! Kidnapping an innocent girl! Mad Evil or Very Mad
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I saw the Japanese version...oh snap! I wanna cry! How dare those North Koreans! Kidnapping an innocent girl! Mad Evil or Very Mad

It's a really weird story. When I lived in Japan in 1999-2000, the abduction allegations were being thoroughly denied by North Korea. Being an average American, I had never heard about the abductions until I arrived in Japan. When I was told about them, I wasn't sure I believed it. It sounded like an urban legend.

Of course, we now know that it was absolutely true. In 2002 North Korea confessed to it. (Although Kim Jong-Il is still clinging to his pathetic claim that he knew nothing of it.)

One of the Japanese women was forced to marry an US National Guard deserter that the N. Koreans were holding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_abductions_of_Japanese
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

Well, at least they also blame the Japanese government for wasting like 5 years that could have cost them lives. I was worried the whole thing was gonna be bashing the North Koreans.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Megumi-chan is so moe (´ω`*)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
One of the Japanese women was forced to marry an US National Guard deserter that the N. Koreans were holding.

I remember that one. Hitomi Soga and Charles Jenkins. It was interesting when I was there how the Japanese were trying to negotiate with the US to not extradite him or whatever it was if he were to set foot in Japan. He did the right thing and turned himself in though.
Nenena

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:05 am Reply with quote
I watched it in Japanese. It was truly excellent, and moved me to tears. My only criticism, though, is that a couple of important details were left out, namely:

1. The one and only DNA test performed on Megumi's supposed remains - the one which supposedly proved that they weren't Megumi's remains - was actually "inconclusive," not to mention deeply flawed.

2. As for not being given a date of death, that's not true. North Korea claimed that she committed suicide on March 13, 1994. Later Megumi's parents met with her husband (a kidnapped South Korean citizen) and he confirmed that Megumi committed suicide in March 1994.

The parents claim that he was forced to lie about this, and honestly I can totally believe that. But still. I think that the omission of these two bits of information is kind of glaring.

Also I remember reading somewhere that Megumi's daughter was allowed to visit Japan...? I can't find information about that anywhere now. But somehow I remember reading that.

I think somebody posted in the other thread (the one attached the manga article) that if Megumi Yokota IS alive, then it means that she's been forcefully separated from her husband and daughter. That's an awful thing to think about.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a really weird story. When I lived in Japan in 1999-2000, the abduction allegations were being thoroughly denied by North Korea. Being an average American, I had never heard about the abductions until I arrived in Japan. When I was told about them, I wasn't sure I believed it. It sounded like an urban legend.

You lived in Japan for a while? Lucky! I wish I did! Sorry. I downloaded the english version of this but I haven't watched it yet. I need to finish up some more anime series.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Nenena wrote:
Also I remember reading somewhere that Megumi's daughter was allowed to visit Japan...? I can't find information about that anywhere now. But somehow I remember reading that.

Somehow I don't think that North Korea allowed her to leave the country. I think when they let the other abductees' families go to Japan, Kim Eun-gyong had to stay behind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1