• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Negima OVAs to Ship with Manga Volumes 23-25

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Blister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:12 am Reply with quote
And the Negima goodness keeps on coming! Surprised Hopefully FUNI will eventually pick these OVAs up too.

And though it probably won't happen, having SHAFT animate another Negima series would be the icing on the cake.
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
I hope limited edition manga isn't the norm for manga released in Japan... because that makes my whole idea of importing manga (eventually) a whole lot harder...
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
The subtitle for the new OVAs is either White Wing or Ala Alba, depending on what language you want to use (the later being Latin of course).
Prinnydood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
I hope limited edition manga isn't the norm for manga released in Japan

Don't worry, it is still rather unusual for manga volumes to come with additional items. I've seen manga volumes packaged with figures in the past for series such as Ah My Goddess!. I think Melancholy did that a few months ago too. As the news story indicates, DVDs are even less common. Hopefully the unusual distribution of these OVAs doesn't create U.S. licensing difficulties down the road.
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
Prinnydood wrote:
melonbread wrote:
I hope limited edition manga isn't the norm for manga released in Japan

Don't worry, it is still rather unusual for manga volumes to come with additional items. I've seen manga volumes packaged with figures in the past for series such as Ah My Goddess!. I think Melancholy did that a few months ago too. As the news story indicates, DVDs are even less common. Hopefully the unusual distribution of these OVAs doesn't create U.S. licensing difficulties down the road.

Thanks for filling me in. That's a relief. The only thing that still confuses me though is why some manga have different front covers. I've seen this happen for a few series, definately the third manga volume of Shana has two different covers.
i cast fira

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see FUNimation get these too.

Depending on the length, perhaps they could all three on one DVD like the did with the xxxHOLiC and Tsubasa movies.
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote
Or maybe they could make a deal with Del Rey.

I'd really like to see some anime distributors working with some manga publishers. I'm sure the benefits are pretty good.
Captain-Bravo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
i cast fira wrote:

Depending on the length, perhaps they could all three on one DVD like the did with the xxxHOLiC and Tsubasa movies.

This sounds like something more of what funimation would do since I can't really see them partnering up with Del Rey to release them in the Manga since it takes Del Rey each 3 months to release a new volume and right now were only on volume 17 in english.
joshuafer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I wonder then if Funi could license the OVA and have them out here before the manga with the chapters covered by the OVA are released, would be like a sneak peek !
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
So did they ever get around to animating the School festival? Thats all I want to see, with the tournment.
[/spoiler]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I agree. Tournament arc should be interesting. And more Negima is always a good thing, imho.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
There have been a few previous limited edition version of the Negima and Negima!? neo manga (IIRC one of them was the preview for the original OVA). I hope Yes Asia doesn't scew up on getting them again this time - I've missed out on a couple of LEs as even though I pre-ordered they came back and said it was out of stock. As it is I have a friend trying to pick up a couple of copies of the LE of volume 22 as I really want the Ala Alba pins. On the subject - if the OVAs are subtitled Ala Alba then it is more likey to be based on events in the current manga volumes than the tournament arc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nkaze

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
This the post-school festival training arc, with the visit from Anya. Sorry guys.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
You might want to add some spoiler tags to that. Thankfully I've been collecting the Japanese volumes but there are probably a lot of people who aren't (admittedly a lot will be reading the fanscans instead but there must be some people still slogging along at Del Rey's pace)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
I hope limited edition manga isn't the norm for manga released in Japan... because that makes my whole idea of importing manga (eventually) a whole lot harder...

You can still buy the regular edition of the manga as I understand it, so no worries there.

As for this new OVA, there'd been rumors of such a thing, but to be honest, I wasn't that impressed with SHAFT's work so I'm not all that interested in seeing this new 3-episode OVA (though I'm sure I will end up watching it out of morbid curiosity). I would LOVE to see Negima! rebooted with an accurate anime adaptation but that seems unlikely now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2