• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Manga, 1000 volumes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I'll say one thing. If they run out of titles to release, then what?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I can't ever foresee that happening. No matter how much anime and manga the US releases, there will always be a LOT more in Japan. There's titles out there that I'd wager that most US fans have never even heard of before, and will probably never see the light of American soil.
rage-demon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Now my question is how did ADV decide to get all of these titles? Did they run some sort of survey? Or did they just take a guess and grabbed a bunch that seemed popular?

Actually i hope that they licensed them based off of emails they recieved. If so, then there is a change Jungle Guu is among them Anime smile

Here's to hoping Surprised
mizushimo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quote
oh great, I'm gonna be so poor ^^;. There's only one unlicensed CLAMP title atm(maybe two), so that's out for them lol. Between ADV, Tokyopop, Viz & Del Ray there must of been a spectacular dog fight over licenses going on in Japan some time last year Laughing
Mischif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
What I wanna know is what titles did they get? o_O
Is it listed somewhere?
Dejiko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:00 am Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
I'll say one thing. If they run out of titles to release, then what?

Then they'll need to pull a Tokypop here again and run their own talent hunt. It's very common in Japan to have publishers run these kind of contests, keeping the supply of artists fresh Wink

I sure hope they avoid doing what French manga publisher Glénat has been doing lately: they saturated the market with a enormous amount of titles. In the end, it made them lose out to another publisher who was more focused on bringing titles over at a more relaxed pace.
WoQuiNonCoin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Ehhhwwwwooaaah....

1000 new volumes of manga-y goodness. Anime hyper
I better get a couple more jobs... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Well, I just hope that someone out there starts releasing the Zelda titles...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:35 pm Reply with quote
also alot of people just glancing at the volumes go damn thats alot of manga but some manga have run for over 20+ volumes and are still going! Put into that perspective 1000 volumes isnt alot.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
rage-demon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:53 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
also alot of people just glancing at the volumes go damn thats alot of manga but some manga have run for over 20+ volumes and are still going! Put into that perspective 1000 volumes isnt alot.

True, in the wide pictue 1000 volumes isn't a lot. On the other hand, however, when you compare it to most people who only own less than 100 volumes, it appears to be a lot. Plus the thought of how expensive it would be to buy them all kinda scares people at first. But we'll just have to wait and see which titles they have before we really know how much of it people would be interested in buying.

"The curiosity is killing me... i just hope satisfaction brings me back."
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:18 pm Reply with quote
1000 seems like a lot. I'm a little worried it might saturate the market and send ADV tumbling down to earth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:40 pm Reply with quote
sailor_titan wrote:
1000 seems like a lot. I'm a little worried it might saturate the market and send ADV tumbling down to earth.

Ehh... I'm much more worried about them bleeding money from The Anime Network. Or, in the event that a studio doesn't sign on for the live-action Evangelion movie, they'll get delusions about doing it independently (since they did just have a very good year).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Poor? I'm allready poor x_x.

Anyone think ADV will do a shonen jump type thing? That'd be fun hehe. More talent contests would rock! Bring them on!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Funny how this is going pretty much exactly the same as the same thread in the manga forum.

I really can't wait to see what titles they have lined up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1