• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony to Sell Manga Ent. Anime in Non-English Regions

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote
That's wonderful, except Manga Entertainment has like 20 titles, if that.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:31 am Reply with quote
A little ambiguous indeed. Hopefully clarification as to what titles are being referred to will be made.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:53 am Reply with quote
So if I understand correctly, Sony will be distributing various titles already released by Manga in non R1 regions. Manga will continue to release new titles as usual.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:07 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

However, many of their titles are coproductions, which means they might already have the rights for non-english speaking regions, which'll means better/quicker distributions for those titles.

Sony distribued Manga in Canada for years [their dvd's here had Sony's logo], before Anchor Bay bought them out, so it's not a really surprising move.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:00 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

However, many of their titles are coproductions, which means they might already have the rights for non-english speaking regions, which'll means better/quicker distributions for those titles.

Ffor Latin America they have a plus. In Europe they distribute to Spain, so with minor fixes spanish from spain can be translated to spanish for Latin America.

Sony anime DVDs in Europe have like 15 differents subtitles in order to be able to sell the same thing to a lot of different countries.

Rolando
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
You mean 'Manga' Ent still exists?

I mean I heard of the change of hands with Anchor Bay, but I didn't know that 'Sony' secretly owned them. If I'm reading that right.

Maybe I'll finally be able to get that 'Devilman' and 'Dangaioh' DVDs that I've always wanted. DONE RIGHT!!! But I highly doubt they'll touch anything that old.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
You mean 'Manga' Ent still exists?

I mean I heard of the change of hands with Anchor Bay, but I didn't know that 'Sony' secretly owned them. If I'm reading that right.

Maybe I'll finally be able to get that 'Devilman' and 'Dangaioh' DVDs that I've always wanted. DONE RIGHT!!! But I highly doubt they'll touch anything that old.

In the case of those two titles, the rights reverted back to Bandai Visual in Japan [the reason we got dubonly releases was mostly because Manga US only had the rights to the dubs]. Though I think Dangaioh might still be in print in the UK, so I'm unsure how their expiring in R1 affects their European distribution [the rights are likely seperate]..........

However, the majority of their releases are bilingual, and they actually released a slew of good titles this past year- Noein, Tokko and Tactics, a whack of Ghost in the Shell-related titles, and Karas [which was one of the years biggest titles]. Though currently they're only new license is Straight Jacket- mind you, it's a coproduction like Karas. They're also handling distribution of the Hellboy OVA's/directtovideo movies
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well with that 20 and Sony's 7? That's..........................................................................................um........27! Wow large. And knowing how fast Sony gets their releases out this should prove to be Manga Ent. smartest move yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1