• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Elf Princess Rane

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanQ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote
Aaah... Yousei Hime Ren... first anime DVD I bought.

And one reason that Akitaro Daichi become my favorite director (I was Now and There, then Kuromi-chan and then look into encyklopedia and "What, these 3 shows directed same (sane? ~_^) person???"

And it would be nice if there will be 3rd epizode, but... it's better to mourn that shows ended, than said "Yawn, finaly, it ended."

But - do somebody know about original manga? In encyklopedia is listed author Taishi YAMAZAKI, but I cann't find any other information..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:17 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I LOVED this show. I should really pick up the DVD to replace my ages old VHS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
DanQ wrote:
But - do somebody know about original manga? In encyklopedia is listed author Taishi YAMAZAKI, but I cann't find any other information..

Neither can I. I've taken the information off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
Of course now I'm going to have to go track this down. Why must your reviews intrigue me so? Darn you Justin. Wink
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
I love the hectic pace of comedy in this series, it blew the other comedies out of the water at the time I saw it.

But I'm totally waiting for you to do a Sexy Commando Buried Treasure. Now THAT was a work of wierd, unappreciated genius!
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
A lot of people were introduced to this as the "Chicken Dance" segment of the Right Now! AMV.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
All I can say is, 'Akitaro Daichi' is da man!

He is my all time favorite director since 'Jubei-chan' fame. I vowed to follow his humorous works for all times. Very Happy Where 'Shirow' is my god in "ass-kicking" females, 'Daichi' is my god of "side splitting [almost dying, while choking on ginger beer] laughter".

'Elf Princess Rane' is an awesome title. And a funny one at that. If you don't have this title or you're someone who loves comedies then you definitely should have this title in your collection. I friends who do small panels where they'll bring in a tape full of "the most humorous moments in anime" and of course the famous "birthday chicken dance" from 'Elf Princess Rane' is at the top of the list. And I'll admit the dub of that scene wasn't bad.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
wow sounds like a good anime, everyone on here is giving it good things. might have to get this on DVD or VHS, which ever one i find first.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
Coastal is back? Hurray! Can they get jobs and stay in business this time around while putting out high quality dubs?
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
My absolute favorite gag anime of all time hands down! It's the funniest thing I've ever seen from start to finish (though Dragon Half comes in a close second!). Awesome stuff. I got the VHS from, of places, the Book of the Month Club back in the 90's on a whim and am so glad I did. Anyone that enjoys really well done gag anime should give this watch, there really is no excuse not to. My favorite par

*Runs off for noodles half way through post*
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
It's weird that something that's a bomb in Japan was hot on VHS fansub then. I guess Fairy Princess Rane's fast-paced staccato style just fits in better with American comedy.

Hmmm... seems Coastal Carolina is doing Clamp School Detectives... with fans looking for more shortened timespan between Japanese and American releases, let's see if Coastal could put dubs out faster but retain the same exceptional quality....
(Back then they said it takes them several months after getting the items, but that won't do nowadays.)
Hullut Sisarukset

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Yousei hime Ren, I love it! Gachabagoose~
I understood nothing of this when I saw it for the first time, but Takuma's hair kept me intrested through it - now it holds one of the highest places in my anime ranking.

The Japanese voice cast is amazing; Yamadera Kouichi as Gou, Koorogi Satomi as Mari, Horikawa Ryou as Takuma - oh yeah. Gotta love it.

PS: The horror of Konishi... HA!!

Last edited by Hullut Sisarukset on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
DanQ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
And I'll admit the dub of that scene wasn't bad.

Actually, I found english dub quite interesting and in some aspects improved.
Remember that scene where Mari and Riin talks simultaneously? In english dub, Mari talks from left channel and Riin from right, so you can understand both of them (with little help from REW button and channel balance Anime smile). (Or just watch subtitled version, of course ~_^)

And Takumas gibberish - in second ep. I can here some names from Babylon 5 scifi series in his talk. Thumb up for english apatition Anime smile.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I think it's actually 14.95, but it's such a good show that's still a steal at that price. Plus, you can probably find it for under 10 at many online stores anyways.

This is a fantastic little show, and well worth tracking down. it being in print and readily available is a plus :)
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow! A Buried Treasure I've actually seen!

The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
A lot of people were introduced to this as the "Chicken Dance" segment of the Right Now! AMV.

"Right now is dumber than it looks."

I first saw that AMV in an anime club meeting, and the club president reassured those of us who hadn't seen the series and were incredulous at the claim that it was, indeed, dumber than it looked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2