• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Druaga Now Available in Global Streams, Downloads

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
You definitely need to update this. I watched it on YouTube twice already.

Here's the link.
hara

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
That new service from Gonzo is a really great thing but unfortunately it doesn't make their works better.

Druaga was boring except for the hotblooded parts Hiroyuki Imaishi animated near the end of the episode.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Boring. I don't think so. I was laughing at the parody in the episode.

The tentacle scene was really funny.
Kyouki-Kamikawa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
i'm REALLY impressed at the subtitle quality....i thought it would end up as poor engrish but this is just as good as an average fansub...better than a few groups that are pretty popular...
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, BOST TV did do the subtitling apparently, so it's an industry subtitling. Just go to the Druaga page on Crunchyroll and look at the credits at the bottom.
Kyouki-Kamikawa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
wow i just compared qualities, if ur ognna watch it , do so on youtube...i actually missed something because i couldnt tell wtf was going on on crunchyroll
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
That's why it's "pay-what-you-want" at Crunchyroll. BOST TV's version came with translation notes.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
That's why it's "pay-what-you-want" at Crunchyroll. BOST TV's version came with translation notes.

I watched the streaming video through BOST. It probably isn't going to be one of my favorites, but the old RPG gamer in me couldn't help but laugh at the first episode. The BOST downloads appear to be in a small screen format, so I tried to download the file available from Crunchyroll. But I could not get their PayPal link to work, and I'm not very keen on providing them with any of my credit card numbers. Does anyone know if you have to register with the site in order to use PayPal, or is there something else that I'm missing?
rinjichan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I guess I just don't like comedies because I got bored really early in. There was another similar show that came out last year that was parodying and based on an MMO. Will try Blassreiter though.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably going to watch this on YouTube for the most part, and not get it through "other means."

Since it's actually coming out with little delay after its airing in Japan (1-2 days after or less, at least judging by Ep. 1), not to mention that it's a legal way to watch it, I might as well watch it legally.
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
If anything, members of this site should take considerable interest in this experiment by Gonzo. To me, this is where the Industry will have to go to save itself.

This gives fansub viewers like myself everything we want. The episodes of a series, released on the same day as the Japanese broadcast, subtitled, and most importantly, completely legal. Granted, the quality could be a little better (it is YouTube after all), but it definitely is a step in the right direction.

SouthParkStudios has also met with a lot of success making their entire series streamable from their website. Though, their episodes do come in drastically better quality...but you can't really complain here.

This could be the beginning of a polar shift in the anime industry. The music industry is begrudgingly beginning to realize that they have to change their ways.

We did have a few discussions on Answerman about how the Region 1 Industry will have to change to survive, and this may be one of the ways that they can do it.

The cardinal rule is to make things easiest for consumers. The current generation is one of instant gratification. The faster and higher quality they can get something, the better. Services like iTunes and now Amazon cutting into their market (with higher quality and DRM free downloads) also shows that they are willing to pay for something if it is the easiest method to get it.

I know I would pay a small subscription fee for subtitled anime a few days after broadcast in high quality. Wouldn't you?
----------------

Of course, as a fan of Those Who Hunt Elves, Slayers, and Lodoss War, I thought all the cliches they hit were hilarious.

This may have been little more than a PR stunt. But it got my attention. I had no interest the series before I heard about this.

Last edited by Ryllharu on Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I lmao through the first episode and whooped it up with the gurren lagann and evangelion references. I watched it on BOST, but have decided to download it from crunchyroll from now on because BOST does not have an XVID format. And btw the subtitles were extremely satisfying.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Most likely, I'll watch the first episode and see if I'll continue to watch this series. However, I really hope this isn't another shonen knock off. In my time as a anime watcher, I've seen some rather bland, boring, overly violent and so on anime titles.
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
This was surprisingly funny. I watched it with no expectations and laughed a lot.
frubam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Boring. I don't think so. I was laughing at the parody in the episode.

The tentacle scene was really funny.

I agree, this was far different than I had expect given the previews, I was afraid it would end up like Ragnorok, but by it being humorous, it might actually be worth watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5