• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Elf Princess Rane

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bci110

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I think it's actually 14.95, but it's such a good show that's still a steal at that price. Plus, you can probably find it for under 10 at many online stores anyways.

RACS has it for $12.98 and I believe that's the same price for it at Anime Castle. TRSI unfortunately dosn't have the DVD available on their site.

Anyway, I just placed an order for it from RACS so I'm looking forward to watching Akitaro Daichi's debut work. Cool
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I've heard of this before but to be honest I've never watched it before. speaking of Akitaroh Daichi, I'm qiute fimillar with Animation Runner Kuromi and Now and There,Here and There.

I'm glad to hear to Costal Studios is back. They did some excellent dubs for AnimeEigo(You're Under Arrest,Bubblegum Crisis.) I can't wait to hear them again. (Justin T, if you liked this dub by Costal be sure to do a buried treasure edition of the 1990 family friendly product placement O.A.V. "Special Duty Combat Unit Shinsman" also done by Costal.)
Greboruri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
TRSI unfortunately dosn't have the DVD available on their site.
This is what made me think that it was out of print. They had the disc in the close-out section of their site a few months ago. Think they depleated all of their stock in late 2007. I think the title is out of print, just that some stores still have it in stock.
bci110

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
bci110 wrote:
TRSI unfortunately dosn't have the DVD available on their site.

I think the title is out of print, just that some stores still have it in stock.

I think you're right, given that Media Blasters first released the DVD back in 2001. I'm wondering if they still even have the license to this OAV, or did that expired?
Rubyfulcrum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hmmm... seems Coastal Carolina is doing Clamp School Detectives... with fans looking for more shortened timespan between Japanese and American releases, let's see if Coastal could put dubs out faster but retain the same exceptional quality....
(Back then they said it takes them several months after getting the items, but that won't do nowadays.)

I know nothing about that show, but if Coastal is doing the dub for it, I know I will buy it. Still, the announcement of it coming on DVD was last year; I wonder if it is still happening? It is on the Coastal website as a "current" project, so I am crossing my fingers... and all other body parts. I can't think of show Scott Houle has directed that I have not enjoyed completely, like "Virtua Fighter" or "Miami Guns".
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
I found this at the library a few years ago. I've wanted to buy the DVD, as I hated the dub at the time. From what I remember, I prefer dragon half over it easily.
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
A lot of people were introduced to this as the "Chicken Dance" segment of the Right Now! AMV.

Not me...I know it from the "Crazy Ass Violence!!!" AMV set to LL Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out," which shows that dancing scene set to the lyrics "...and I came up with a funk-y rhyme!" Best. AMV. EVER.

And all these years, that was the only few seconds of the whole thing that I didn't know where it came from. And now I know. Thanks, Justin! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
setsuna8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
To this day I still say "A taxi runs through my tummy delivering sheets with that look. Scallions? Beef Scallions?" When I don't understand somebody. I know that's not the full speech but I don't think my friends have the time or patience to sit through it all.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so much praise for a show I disliked so much. I guess it's a case of with comedy YMMV...

I thought this show was just plain stupid without much of the funny that was supposed to go along with it. It's a matter of personal taste, but I do like the other Akitaroh Daichi stuff I have seen so when I realized he had directed this as well I was a tad surprised.

I recently re-watched it thinking that maybe I had missed something or had been in a bad mood the first time through or something like that, but I still don't like it that much. Maybe I need to try the English dub. I have not watched it that way yet.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Buried treasure? I think not-I've known about this and laughed my ass off for years now rewatching it. All my friends know about it too-I got my copy used off amazon for 3 bucks. How about Explorer Women Ray for a future installment of Buried Treasure?

Last edited by zrdb on Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Just watched it as I got it to the top of my Netflix queue as soon as I read the article. Classic Daichi, and for a fan such as myself I found it very enjoyable. Too bad there won't be any more, I would have liked to seen where it headed next!
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was kinda odd that my Simoun Volume 3: released on April 8th, had a trailer for Elf Princess Rane on it.

After watching Elf Princess Rane this weekend, I have to catch myself from saying Gatcha Ba Goose out loud.

Gewürtztraminer
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Bad news everyone. I ordered this DVD online and it hadn't arrived by the expected date. Turns out it was "lost in transit". Damn it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2