• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Simoun Sub.DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad this series is getting the attention it deserved. The first episode turned off a lot of people when it aired, making it a sleeper hit. I already have the first three pre-ordered and can't wait for them to get here.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Simoun is getting good reviews!
I really liked this series. I started it because I have a huge soft-spot for lesbian romances, but it turned out to be much more. It's on my list of "things-to-buy-when-I-get-a-little-more-money."
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
I'm primarily a dub fan, but I never let it stop me from enjoying a sub-only release. I'm really enjoying Simoun. The CG is quite good, but it almost seems like they blew most of their budget on the CG as the backgrounds do look fairly basic, and I usually don't notice that type of stuff. Honestly, it doesn't detract from the show. Those backgrounds do get the point across anyway.

I was pretty surprised to find both volumes 1 & 2 at my local Best Buy. It's also good to see that I'm not the only person buying this because last weekend they only had one copy of volume 2 left and had sold out of volume 1. Volume 3 released today, so I better go get it this weekend. Then the long wait for volume 4 commences....
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:50 am Reply with quote
Another solid review of Simoun! Cool

And if this keeps up, then more people will be aware of its existence! And then this could be the definitive yuri title, right?
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
I was pretty surprised to find both volumes 1 & 2 at my local Best Buy. It's also good to see that I'm not the only person buying this because last weekend they only had one copy of volume 2 left and had sold out of volume 1. Volume 3 released today, so I better go get it this weekend. Then the long wait for volume 4 commences....

Yeah, I was surprised to see Simoun at Best Buy, too. (They're also carrying Strawberry Panic and Step Up Love Story to my surprise as well.) I was hoping to buy Vol. #3 yesterday but they didn't have it on the shelves yet. Hopefully by this wekeend they'll have some in stock.

Anyway I agree that Simoun is a sleeper hit in the market. I didn't watch my copy of Vol. #2 yet, but Vol. #1 blew me away with how well the series looked in terms of character development and presentation. It's too bad that some people will be turned off on this show due to its yuri elements and lack of English dub (and in some cases, both) because they're missing a true gem.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
People getting turned off by yuri........hmmm. That's an interesting thing because I would have thought more guys would go for the girl-on-girl stuff. Or is it because there's actual relationships involved that turns them off? Or am I totally wrong in the general fact that guys would, by nature, go nuts over girl-on-girl action. Anime dazed
BorkisDrizzt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
People getting turned off by yuri........hmmm. That's an interesting thing because I would have thought more guys would go for the girl-on-girl stuff. Or is it because there's actual relationships involved that turns them off? Or am I totally wrong in the general fact that guys would, by nature, go nuts over girl-on-girl action. Anime dazed

You are right.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

I was turned off by the yuri because I'd grown sick of the wave of yuri fanservice shows (I hate you, Mai Otome), and just couldn't stomach any more.

Apparently, I need to give this one a chance.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
How is it unusual for the female seiyuu to voice act boys? Isn't that a general anime standard?
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
These reviews for Simoun actually make me want to watch it now. I'm not usually into yuri, but judging by the way the reviewer describes it, it shouldn't bother me.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
How is it unusual for the female seiyuu to voice act boys? Isn't that a general anime standard?

Not technically just boys. They also do middle-age, grown men, old senior men, and so on. That's where the female seiyuu voicing all the males gets really funky.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

That's normal yes, but these aren't boys they're voicing here; they're grown male characters. That's what makes it so unusual, though within the context of the show it makes sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh really? Grown men? Now that I wasn't aware of. That's breaking the "rule", not adhering to it Anime hyper
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I have been enjoying the Simoun releases, much better than I had expected given the premise.

I have to applaud Media Blasters and their strategy here, vs what Bandai Visual USA is trying to pull off.

For someone who has a respect of copyright, and would never go to fansubs, what would you choose when considering a purchase?

Two or even just one episode of a sub only series that I know nothing about for a street price or around $30 or greater.

Vs street price of $15 for six episodes of a sub-only series, that was enough to get me hooked on Simoun, with a 5 disk release.

It only works for BVU where the title in question is well known, and epic beyond compare, like the Gunbusters (only BVU products I own).

Haruka, Sola, True Tears? Haruka's first episode I caught on their site steamed, that is no where near enough to get me to buy into the 26 (I think) episode series released two or three per disk at premium prices. It only makes sense to purchase if you have seen the whole thing to make that kind of financial commitment to series.
Maybe they caught a clue before going ahead with the release of Sola and True Tears.

I could just Netflix the series, but it seems that since Geneon stopped business, new BVU releases are not on Netflix any longer, Both Freedom and Galazy Angel Rune, as well as the Gunbuster movie have not had the newest disks show up there.

So there are no legal avenues open to me. Being in a job where I get reimbursed on my copyrighted works, I am a bit sensitive to copyright.

$3 or less an episode for physical media vs $10 an episode and up, which shall I choose?

Heck I have caught all of the Media Blasters sub only series, and they rank up with my favorites from 2007.

Gewürtztraminer
nkaze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
Strange show, but likeable. The little girl voices for old men is somewhat unsettling, but it's definitely worth a look.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1