• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-04-09

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:39 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Honestly, it really doesn't matter what the Japanese use. Why you might ask, they're the creators? Because they still confuse American grammar and diction CONSTANTLY. R's and L's still get them all the time, even in official published works that have quality checkers. Kallen from Code Geass? You can't honestly tell me it was meant to be Kallen, it was Karen, but of course, even after forced English for all their school years, they still mess up.

Whilst there are pleanty of cases of hilariously bad Engrish (the Torneedoh, it is a CURASTRAH BOMAH), this is actually one that is intentional, and rather clever. 'Karen' can be spelt perfectly well with kana, whereas 'Kallen' is rather more difficult. Yes, you can apporximate it closely enough to be passable, and the two sound similar, but that's rather the point. Karan is used to refer to herself as Japanese, and Kallen as a Brittanian.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:44 am Reply with quote
Serafuku wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Also, if that's to poke fun at those who never buy anything and download fansubs only, they're not going to worrying over watching Naruto on YouTube. Cute comic, but barely accurate; the never-buy crowd knows how to work DDL's and torrents.
Wrong, part of the never-buy crowd are complete idiots who don't know a lick of HTTP downloads, torrents, ftps, IRC, etc. Visit the videos that have been taken down on crunchyroll to get an accurate depiction of these idiots in action.
Serafuku is right -- as the technological sophistication required to illicitly view anime via the Internet decreases, the technological sophistication of the users decreases as well. And the Naruto/Bleach whiners on CR and similar sites are the shining example of that, giving credence to my "casual downloader" theory -- I'd wager 99% of them have never even heard of IRC, let alone know how to use it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:03 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
(...) the technological sophistication of the users decreases as well.

Take "technological" out and you still get a correct description. Wink In fact, this phenomenon applies to gaming fans and general computer users as well:

Once DirectX came out, gamers don't have to fiddle with 220h, IRQ, DMA, etc., and so the average sophistication of gamers decreases.

Once Windows 95 came out, computer users don't have to squeeze more memories with EMM386, connect to the Internet via Trumpet Winsock, or use Undelete to salvage a deleted file, and so the average sophistication of computer users decreases.

Heck, I love the time when every computer has PC Tools 4.24 by Central Point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kenotic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Actually, on the animation side, AMVs do stand a chance of winning a fair use appeal, although the odds are still against them.

The biggest problem is on the music side.

You see, the extent of the work used is a big part of various applications of fair use. Using 3 minutes of video excerpted from different parts of a TV series or movie isn't very significant. However using an entire song is significant.

Making AMVs with original music might just constitute fair use, *especially* if the AMV in question does not rely on a single source for its animation.

The stumbling block would be the purpose of the "fair use." Derivative works aren't provided with any sort of special-status like not-for-profit education, news and parody are...

This is why Fanfiction, although possibly fair-use, is still within the rights of the creator/owner of the original work to deny.

One thing most people don't understand about fair use, is that most of it isn't "safe harbor." Fair use is still copyright infringement, just "excusable infringement."

On another note, an AMV creator does actually have a legitimate (although highly arguable) claim to being the copyright owner of the derivative work that he or she has created. So you might actually be able to petition Youtube to take down AMVs that you have created if you can adequately prove that you are the creator of said AMV.

-t

I've found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJn_jC4FNDo to be very helpful in understanding "Fair Use." It uses clips from Disney movies to demonstrate its point. "Fair Use" isn't just an excuse to upload anything you want (although if you ask your average YouTuber, you'd think anything goes as long as you shout "Fair Use!" real loud), but rather a loophole.

From what I can tell, if a person's AMV was made from their own drawings of the characters and their own music, they'd be perfectly legit. If they have the original animation, it's technically a copyright issue. A parody must be wholly original (a la "Potter Puppet Pals" or Weird Al) to be Fair Use.

Personally, I think most AMV makers can rest easy, at least on the animation side of things. Even if it's a copyright violation, chances are slim that the average animation company is going to risk the bad PR to sue a kid for editing together Haruhi dancing to Rick Astley.

Wait, that gives me an idea....
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:51 am Reply with quote
That Narutard should get into some real shonen, like Ultimate Mop Daisuke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steroid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:38 am Reply with quote
I hope the poor guy learns about bit torrent. Or goes to google video or dailymotion or some other such. Nina and group were so mean this week. They really are slimes.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:38 am Reply with quote
Once again another strip that is sadly true.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:56 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Robin remembers this: http://www.jadedsketch.com/images/fun/scaryjoey2.jpg. The zit-filled Narutard looks like the illegitimate son of "Scary F***ing Joey"!

Of course, would there be a woman willing to marry, let alone have unprotected sex with Scary Joey?! And as for Joey marrying, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
malik_chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:06 am Reply with quote
Serafuku wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
Serafuku wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
Serafuku wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
Serafuku wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
YouTube keeps taking down Naruto the Abridged Series... Why must they do it...

Why? Because Viz is dedicated to bringing all Naruto anime and manga to America. That's kind of a stupid question you asked.

There's a difference between Naruto and Naruto the Abridged... hell I heard people at Viz actually loved Real Ninjas (as I said my times my mom works for Viz)... So you can't say that if I know more about Viz then you do...

Ah, I see. It's a horrible fandub of it...in that case Viz is just probably deleting everything that uses the naruto name on youtube. I'm not sure who would want to watch it though, it's really horrible to listen to.

Wow... Rolling Eyes That's sort of the point of an Abridged Series... Come on... It's two guys being stupid with Naruto... that's the point I mean in Naruto the Abridged Series Neji and Kiba are surfer dudes, Kakashi has a weird obsession with animals, Gaara is a master at DDR and Naruto has an all powerful chicken named Clucky... it's meant to be stupid...

And the people at Viz has a sense of humor, I'm only going to say is that last year that had some sort of tournament with the staff and that my mom got into the second round. And how would you know what they do at Viz... Do you know anyone who works there?

If you know someone at Viz then why don't you ask them why the Abridged Series gets taken down off of youtube instead of anonymous people on the internet like me?

Because of anonymous jackasses all over YouTube... I mean there's a lot of people who report these things for various reasons... after all there's a flag button... that means uptight people and people who lack a sense of humor flag them and YouTube takes them down. I wouldn't be surprised by the way you're going on is that you're an Abridged Flagger yourself.

You know that Viz has an account on Youtube that allows them to remove videos at their own discretion correct?

Excuse for butting in, but in the US, it is perfectly LEGAL to use copyrighted material if you're using it for parody reasons. Viz can't put Naruto the Abridged Series up because they did NOT make it, nor do they own the rights to said parody.
Shawaazu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:32 am Reply with quote
Hilarious because it's true.
AlphaBlitz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:37 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
I hope the poor guy learns about bit torrent. Or goes to google video or dailymotion or some other such. Nina and group were so mean this week. They really are slimes.

Yeah yeah...gb2/youtube/. Part of the cancer that is killing American anime distribution is the people who just wnat to get it for free with no strings attached and not pay a cent to the licensing companies, the fansubbers, the uploaders, etc. The only person they might even show a penny to is the internet company and even then, they might just be leeching off a neighbor's connection, using a school's internet or letting mommy and daddy foot the bill.
evening

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
I loved it. The first image of "Mr. I <3 2D boobs" reminded me of Dil from Stick Around. Now I'm stuck with that voice in my head Smile
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:27 am Reply with quote
evening wrote:
I loved it. The first image of "Mr. I <3 2D boobs" reminded me of Dil from Stick Around. Now I'm stuck with that voice in my head Smile
I highly value that third dimension Wink But really, fantastic.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
I lol'd. Laughing
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:45 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
evening wrote:
I highly value that third dimension Wink But really, fantastic.

But a lot of times 3D animation people don't look very good. Laughing Lack of texture is creepy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9