• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-04-09

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote
Loved this comic. Though it's safe to say that loving 2D boobs doesn't make you as brain-dead as this guy. (Sadly I am an example. Embarassed )

Love the drooling as the gears in his brain grind in an attempt to comprehend this alien concept of exchanging money for products or services. A slime indeed, the kind of monster that offers only pathetic items after you've destroyed them, too weak to be a threat, not quite smart enough to be as annoying as the bats of doom.

Also, am I the only one thinking there's a subtle comment here about the state of offline fandom? There are four people at the state anime club meeting.
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
I highly value that third dimension Wink

But a lot of times 3D animation people don't look very good. Laughing Lack of texture is creepy.

I think he meant *gasp* Real Life. And I don't mean that other webcomic.

Very funny comic as usual. I agree that the bird cawing and the gears grinding are hilarious.

Richard J. wrote:
Also, am I the only one thinking there's a subtle comment here about the state of offline fandom? There are four people at the state anime club meeting.

But 3 of the 4 seem to be very reasonable, well-informed fans. I think that's a pretty good ratio at least Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
meh, no one uses youtube any more. Veoh is what's "in" now.
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
I LOL'ed!!!
....Why is it people only become this upset when major film sites take down the really big series.....like Naruto or Bleach?

Question
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
Reading those Crunchyroll comments about Naruto/Bleach being removed from the site made me lose just about all faith in humanity. And this strip reminded me exactly why. Thanks a lot, Robin. Laughing
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
Serafuku wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
Serafuku wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
Serafuku wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
Serafuku wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
YouTube keeps taking down Naruto the Abridged Series... Why must they do it...

Why? Because Viz is dedicated to bringing all Naruto anime and manga to America. That's kind of a stupid question you asked.

There's a difference between Naruto and Naruto the Abridged... hell I heard people at Viz actually loved Real Ninjas (as I said my times my mom works for Viz)... So you can't say that if I know more about Viz then you do...

Ah, I see. It's a horrible fandub of it...in that case Viz is just probably deleting everything that uses the naruto name on youtube. I'm not sure who would want to watch it though, it's really horrible to listen to.

Wow... Rolling Eyes That's sort of the point of an Abridged Series... Come on... It's two guys being stupid with Naruto... that's the point I mean in Naruto the Abridged Series Neji and Kiba are surfer dudes, Kakashi has a weird obsession with animals, Gaara is a master at DDR and Naruto has an all powerful chicken named Clucky... it's meant to be stupid...

And the people at Viz has a sense of humor, I'm only going to say is that last year that had some sort of tournament with the staff and that my mom got into the second round. And how would you know what they do at Viz... Do you know anyone who works there?

If you know someone at Viz then why don't you ask them why the Abridged Series gets taken down off of youtube instead of anonymous people on the internet like me?

Because of anonymous jackasses all over YouTube... I mean there's a lot of people who report these things for various reasons... after all there's a flag button... that means uptight people and people who lack a sense of humor flag them and YouTube takes them down. I wouldn't be surprised by the way you're going on is that you're an Abridged Flagger yourself.

You know that Viz has an account on Youtube that allows them to remove videos at their own discretion correct?

Excuse for butting in, but in the US, it is perfectly LEGAL to use copyrighted material if you're using it for parody reasons. Viz can't put Naruto the Abridged Series up because they did NOT make it, nor do they own the rights to said parody.

Yeah and besides, if memory serves, I'm pretty sure it's mostly the Japanese Companies that does that sort of thing... most things that are taken down I'm pretty sure it's the Japanese Company reports them.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
I highly value that third dimension Wink

But a lot of times 3D animation people don't look very good. Laughing Lack of texture is creepy.

I think he meant *gasp* Real Life.

*Blank stare*
Real life? Quid est hic?
Meccanica

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
A bunch of other people wrote:
A big long conversation that doesn't need to be quoted again.

Excuse for butting in, but in the US, it is perfectly LEGAL to use copyrighted material if you're using it for parody reasons. Viz can't put Naruto the Abridged Series up because they did NOT make it, nor do they own the rights to said parody.

This is not true. I learned this from a discussion over at the forums for YuGiOh:the Abridged Series:

Because these 'shows' use the animation directly from the original work, they are considered derivative works and they are probably not protected by the Fair Use clause. As others have said, Fair Use is more or less just a loophole built in to copyright law, and not necessarily a very big one.

However, IANAL either.

Emma Iveli wrote:
Yeah and besides, if memory serves, I'm pretty sure it's mostly the Japanese Companies that does that sort of thing... most things that are taken down I'm pretty sure it's the Japanese Company reports them.

This may be true, but I would like to remind everyone that the license holders in other countries (the US) have every right to shut'cho punk-ass down if you violate the copyright- they are paying cash monies for the rights to those works, and they have everything to do with it. Some people don't seem to believe that.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
evening wrote:
I loved it. The first image of "Mr. I <3 2D boobs" reminded me of Dil from Stick Around. Now I'm stuck with that voice in my head Smile
I highly value that third dimension Wink But really, fantastic.

You're probably able to get a hold of (so to speak) that third dimension.

The Slime doesn't have a hope in Hell to EVER be able to go beyond 2D.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
Okay... I'm going to have to concede this argument, now that I realize that there are probably uptight people at Viz, even if there is a very relaxed atmosphere (judging what my mom says, I'm going there this today to visit and the fact that the Olympic torch is going near the offices... I haven't been there yet because I'm a disabled shut in and I live on the other side of the city so I would have an extremely tough time getting there) But yeah... all companies have jackasses that don't have a sense of humor even if the last two episode state support the official release...
zhir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
Meccanica wrote:
malik_chan wrote:
A bunch of other people wrote:
A big long conversation that doesn't need to be quoted again.

This is not true. I learned this from a discussion over at the forums for YuGiOh:the Abridged Series:

Because these 'shows' use the animation directly from the original work, they are considered derivative works and they are probably not protected by the Fair Use clause. As others have said, Fair Use is more or less just a loophole built in to copyright law, and not necessarily a very big one.

However, IANAL either.

Emma Iveli wrote:

This may be true, but I would like to remind everyone that the license holders in other countries (the US) have every right to shut'cho punk-ass down if you violate the copyright- they are paying cash monies for the rights to those works, and they have everything to do with it. Some people don't seem to believe that.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if it's technically legal guys. The only way that would come up is if Viz tried to sue the people who made it. All Viz did is have Youtube take it down. Youtube doesn't want to get involved in a lawsuit, and would likely take down whatever an anime company asked them to, even if it wasn't anime. When you upload to Youtube, you agree that they can take the video down for any reason.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
Unauthorized derivative works in and of themselves do not get protection. HOWEVER, parody fair use is an exception that covers all infringement--any kind of copyright infringement can be a parody, if it meets the court-sanctioned definition of parody and passes the fair use test. So, "abriged series" may be parodies, and certain types of comedic fanfiction may be parodies.

There's another HOWEVER, though: parodies only get the fair use exception when the copyrighted work itself is the thing being parodied. So, AMVs, which use musicians' and studios' copyright works, are NOT parodies under the law--both the video and the music are meant to parody the anime series. Since the music is not usually FROM the anime series and is therefore not the thing being parodied, its use is not parody fair use. You can't use one copyrighted work to parody a different work and get the exception.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Yes Virginia, there's something worse than Narutards... Leecher Narutards! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
LOL! Another great comic!

I like the part where the slime heard the word "buy".

He instantly lost his arms and became a punching bag. Very Happy
sunwooz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
haha, naruto sucks
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9