• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-04-09

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
No, there's five. I'm the one holding the camera. Smile
You mean you know Nina? Shocked

Ha! I wish!

I was going to introduce myself, but right before I did I got an exploding nosebleed. Spent the rest of the day in the clinic due to anemia. Go figure. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
What's wrong with wanting anime in HD? I like having shows in 720p that can play on my computer. First, I don't own a PS3, and second, what's even out on Blu-Ray? Underwater Ray Romano or Appleseed? Yeah right.
x1onexwo1fx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I really regret having to watch fansubs, but I don't have cable to watch Anime on TV, nor am I old enough to make my own money to buy DVDs. However, once I can, I plan on buying complete box sets of the Anime that I really love. I hope I'm not the only fansub-watcher that actually plans on spending money. I also hope that this little post of mine sheds some light on those fansub-watcher-haters.

Nice comic, btw. Nina's expressions are always so cute.

If there are actually never-buy people that don't know how to work torrents, it really is a shame. They're probably too stupid to even realize the quality they're missing out on. Even though I do have some high- quality fansubs through torrent, I still can't wait to switch from my little computer monitor to my big-screen TV in my living room.[/i]
ilkz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
Hell... that guy z so scary. I am horrified by his expression while laughing. That's was very creative on such retard style.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
The TV big thing is kinda changing now. Most new TV's ship with VGA ports, so you can plug your computer directly into it and make it become a monitor or a second screen, if you're using a laptop. So the believe the argument about fansubs versus DVDs and using your TV as support for the DVD case is now over.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
What's wrong with wanting anime in HD? I like having shows in 720p that can play on my computer. First, I don't own a PS3, and second, what's even out on Blu-Ray? Underwater Ray Romano or Appleseed? Yeah right.

That doesn't mean that there won't be any other titles coming out on on bluray in the future. I plan on buying Darker than Black whenever that comes out but if it doesn't come out on bluray I'll still buy the DVDs but I'll just keep the HD fansubs I have of it on my harddrive. I'm very interested to see what happens with bluray releases since Japan and the US are in the same bluray region.

x1onexwo1fx wrote:
Even though I do have some high- quality fansubs through torrent, I still can't wait to switch from my little computer monitor to my big-screen TV in my living room.

If you got a TV with DVI/VGA in or a video card on your computer with s-video/HDMI out then you can always hook your computer to your TV unless you have them too far away from each other. Personally, one of the reasons why I really like watching anime on DVDs more than video files on my PC is because of teh digital surround sound. Most DVDs have at least 5.1 surround sound and bluray titles can offer up to 7.1. Also I know of people who know about the quality they're missing out on by watching on youtube over downloading torrents but they watch the low res streams anyways because of the convenience and laziness.

But believe me, I was just like you: a kid with no job or cable TV but a computer with broadband internet. Now my family can afford cable and I actually have some money to spend, so I'm in the process of buying all the series that I really enjoyed in box sets just so I can listen to the sound through my sound system, especially if the show has great music. A show like Cowboy Bebop may not benefit much from a bluray release but the remixed 5.1 audio turned it into one of the greatest musical experiences of my life.
icepick314

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
damm cheapass pirates...

they shouldn't say a thing about anime if they aren't going to pay for any...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
Nina is so cute, funny and creative you should make them into short flash movies Anime smile
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
I think my favorite part is the I <3 2D BooBs t-shirt. Robin, you should make those, they would sell. Anime hyper

As for me, I actually prefer YouTube over torrents and the like. I'd prefer to watch an episode in my browser window, take less time for it to load, and for it to playback without skipping and without any of this 'buffering' crap. (Although youtube has started skipping for me lately. >< ) I have a hard time getting torrents to work on my comp. (No, I'm not asking for advice--if I cared enough I'd go seek the advice out elseware. Not watching many fandubs at the moment anyway.)

Ode to Otaku culture humor, Robin. Razz
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote
Posty wrote:
Nina is so cute, funny and creative you should make them into short flash movies Anime smile

Only a full feature length film animated by Madhouse, I.G, Bones, or Ghibli with a budget of at least one billion yen can do Nina and co. any justice.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:29 am Reply with quote
Something that gets lost in the fansub debates is the fact that most of the money made on anime is from DVD sales. As it turns out, the anime makers in Japan typically pay the TV people to air their shows. Basically, they don't really make any money until someone starts buying DVDs or official merchandise.

The same thing applies with overseas licenses to a growing degree. At first, there were large upfront licensing fees. With the ever dropping sales, these are vanishing and according to Funimation's people, in some cases there are no upfront costs. Again, the Japanese start making money when the DVDs start selling.

In other words, without good DVD sales in both countries, anime as we know it will end.

I'm not saying anything against fan-subbers. I'm just saying if you really do care about anime, you might want to pick up a few DVDs when you can. At least ask for some on your birthday or Christmas (if you celebrate it) or some other gift-giving friendly holiday. Or just save your Starbucks money for a few days. That'll get you all kinds of anime goodness.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote
Thank you, AN Nina. So much.

I hate leeches.

Actually, I think fansubs and Youtube anime can serve a purpose as well, as some people have argued, but not buying the product and just downloading and distributing the show in crappy quality bugs me. Especially when I run across AMVs made with fansubs. On Windows Movie Maker. To Linkin Park. How cheap are these people, both financially and mentally? -.-'

I'm done now...sorry.
Akatsukiwolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
Fans [if they really are and not just some casual viewers] who watch Naruto on youtube and other video~streaming sites would later come to realize that they deserve much better.

Buy the Dvd when it's localized, the cost is worth it. I'm missing a few volumes but i do have the first movie. The english subtitle isn't accurate but the quality is top~notch.

Plus, there are addtional seiyuu interviews, promotions, commercials
TheBigN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
I'd like to think that what happens in the comic is the exception rather than the rule. Razz
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
What about the middle-ish route? Not buying DVDs, but using Netflix methodically to quickly burn through series? Depending on the plan, you might only end up spending a very minimal amount per disc. Anyone have more info on how well this helps? I was thinking of doing this. Hell, even then you could possibly do a DVD rip and money would have still gone somewhere to help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9